Exactly how threatened the church is by scientific advance:

Ichthus

Reality check, people. The fact is, we Christians love scientific advance, especially in the fields of medicine and agriculture and such.

When it comes to things to worry about, we have other things, like secular culture trying to find ever more inventive ways to criminally charge us for daring to be a Christian against their will, or our brothers and sisters being severely persecuted and killed for their faith in communist and Muslim countries, or new late-term abortion laws that allow people to kill babies right up to the birth date, or homelessness and poverty. Frankly, we're just not that concerned about some intellectual snobs high on their own self-importance. Get a grip! Why is there even a religion forum on a Science discussion site, since you all think religion is by definition un-scientific? Philosophy I understand, but a different forum just for this? Yeesh. I'm going to stay on the mathematics forum, thanks.

It’s interesting how there are over a billion Christians on the planet, with hundreds of individual denominations, yet you come here claiming to speak for all with one lone voice. 

Also, ever heard of a straw man?

1 hour ago, Ichthus said:

Reality check, people. The fact is, we Christians love scientific advance, especially in the fields of medicine and agriculture and such.

When it comes to things to worry about, we have other things, like secular culture trying to find ever more inventive ways to criminally charge us for daring to be a Christian against their will, or our brothers and sisters being severely persecuted and killed for their faith in communist and Muslim countries, or new late-term abortion laws that allow people to kill babies right up to the birth date, or homelessness and poverty. Frankly, we're just not that concerned about some intellectual snobs high on their own self-importance. Get a grip! Why is there even a religion forum on a Science discussion site, since you all think religion is by definition un-scientific? Philosophy I understand, but a different forum just for this? Yeesh. I'm going to stay on the mathematics forum, thanks.

Grind your axe elsewhere.

People bring it into other parts of the forum otherwise. More of a safety valve. Occasionally do have good discussions there of the historicity of various religious figures and events. That's something Science can definitely weigh in on.

Religion in general is about 'having faith'. Central tenets are slow if ever to change. In contrast you don't simply accept things in Science and even the most cherished model of how things work would be thrown out in a heartbeat if new evidence arises.

You may want to consider the 10-15% rate of spontaneous abortions. You can still be morally against it, but pays to know all the facts. Likewise good to consider extreme cases when you might deem it acceptable and if denying other's that option is more or less moral.

Edited by Endy0816

Hey there!

Only yesterday we had quite a civil discussion regarding matters of science yet here you seem to come off with quite a snarky tone, what's up?
Can I ask who you are directing your "get a grip" to, and if it is the scientific community in general, I think a lot don't really concern themselves with whether or not religion and scientific advance are in opposition, although historically this has been the case. 
While religion is, by definition, un-scientific, we can still discuss it from a scientific perspective and thus this part of the forum exists. 

Honestly bud, it seems you are currently venting and highly defensive; I think we can all agree some members of this forum are not as diplomatic as they could be, but to be fair, some of them have seen a large amount of bullshit so far. But you are not helping currently, and I wonder what is up, as yesterday you seemed fine.

@mods While the tone of OP is far from what I consider appropriate, please don't immediately close the thread (if the OP shows to actually want to have a discussion (I know OP said that he/she would rather stay at the mathematics forum but I also think OP, at the time of writing, is slightly emotional. So please give OP the chance to get into a discussion before closure of the thread). The two distinct questions at hand are fairly interesting as well; How is the church threatened by scientific advance ?
Why is there a religion forum?

I have answered the second one, of course it is only my perspective/opinion. To the first I would say that if the church just says that God is unprovable and they remain at "its faith, we believe." then there is no threat at all, but science has consistently proven the church their "factual" representation of the world wrong and by saying there are proves for god, you enter into the realm of reality where science consistently keeps showing what is true and what isn't. So I would say that it highly depends on how you think of "the church". Belief in god isn't threatened by science, believe in other things the church says or has said in the past is threatened as they are proven to be wrong or better explanations of phenomena come to light.

-Dagl

1 minute ago, Dagl1 said:

Why is there a religion forum?

Lightning rod. When they tried removing it, all the horseshit landed in biology and physics (evolution and Big Bang arguers caught in a god fog)

2 hours ago, Dagl1 said:

Hey there!

Only yesterday we had quite a civil discussion regarding matters of science yet here you seem to come off with quite a snarky tone, what's up?

And I very much enjoyed it, Dagl, and am looking forward to more discussions on science. I expected to come to a science forum for science discussions, not to see how "threatened" I must be by it all. Yes, I'm going to stay on the science part of this place and hopefully have more interesting, enjoyable, civil conversations. I am not reading the other replies to the post, no point, I've heard it all. I hope to have another good science discussion soon! :) 

2 hours ago, Ichthus said:

And I very much enjoyed it, Dagl, and am looking forward to more discussions on science. I expected to come to a science forum for science discussions, not to see how "threatened" I must be by it all. Yes, I'm going to stay on the science part of this place and hopefully have more interesting, enjoyable, civil conversations. I am not reading the other replies to the post, no point, I've heard it all. I hope to have another good science discussion soon! :) 

!

Moderator Note

As you are apparently not interested in discussion, this rant is closed.