Sports

beecee

I am primarily drawn towards sports I can still do. Once one is out of school or other structured environment the costs associated with and availability to find peers for many sports become demanding.

Baseball for example requires the participation of at least 14 people (pitcher, 3 bases, catcher,  and 2 outfielders per team at minimum) to successful play a game, because of the space involved it is nearly always played out doors making weather an issue, and requires numerous gloves and bats to accommodate people of different size. So I don't bother with playing Baseball or watching it. Similar situation with American Football. Requires many people and is mostly played outdoors. 

Basketball only requires a single other person to get a game going. There are often places to play Basketball indoor or outdoor, and all that is needed is a ball. So I play Basketball and watch it. Likewise I am a huge Boxing fan. Only requires one other person to get mitt work or sparring in and can be done anywhere. 

Most Olympic events are too niche for my taste. I don't follow Olympic sports. Also I am opposed to the manner in which many Amateur at treated here in the States.   

Edited by Ten oz

21 hours ago, StringJunky said:

You'll like this: 

Thanks for posting that StringJunky!  That first wave is incredibly beautiful in slow motion.  Frightening!  That is a very violent wave and I would avoid it.  That must be the step-faced Shipsterns Bluff TZ right?  It's a slab wave, like Teahupoo Tahiti, which means it breaks below sea level, like in a huge dark pit.  It's like watching a train wreck, you can't look away.  The wave has no back, it's the whole ocean behind it, like a tsunami.  The lip is thicker than normal and it throws forward as much as it's height so the white water explodes higher than the wave height.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_Stern_Bluff

Edited by Airbrush

38 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

Thanks for posting that StringJunky!  That first wave is incredibly beautiful in slow motion.  Frightening!  That is a very violent wave and I would avoid it.  That must be the step-faced Shipsterns Bluff TZ right?  It's a slab wave, like Teahupoo Tahiti, which means it breaks below sea level, like in a huge dark pit.  It's like watching a train wreck, you can't look away.  The wave has no back, it's the whole ocean behind it, like a tsunami.  The lip is thicker than normal and it throws forward as much as it's height so the white water explodes higher than the wave height.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_Stern_Bluff

I had a look at a ship stern bluff video and it looks like it tome. I'm no connoisseur though. With a $237000 camera I think he would opt for the best locations.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any fans of pro wrestling out there?  If so, please explain it's appeal.  It looks so fake and absurd that it is hard to imagine what the fans love about it. 

Trump is a big fan of pro wrestling.  Recently I learned that Trump's fans are fans of his role as "heal" in politics.  In pro wrestling, the protagonist is called the "face" and the antagonist is called the "heal."  The fans may love or hate either.  Sometimes they boo the "face" and sometimes they cheer the "heal."  Trump's fans probably have a high correlation to pro wrestling fans.  Trump plays the role of the obnoxious heal, and his fans love it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/03/trump-politics-and-professional-wrestling/473652/

Edited by Airbrush

3 hours ago, Airbrush said:

Are there any fans of pro wrestling out there?  If so, please explain it's appeal.  It looks so fake and absurd that it is hard to imagine what the fans love about it. 

It is fake. I did watch it in the old days [early seventies] when the likes of Killer Carl Cox, Mario Milano, Brute Bernard, Mark Lewin, and many others were giving us a laugh. Yes, it's about as fake a Trump is, and the many shows on TV now that supposedly pass for entertainment. 

1 hour ago, beecee said:

It is fake. I did watch it in the old days [early seventies] when the likes of Killer Carl Cox, Mario Milano, Brute Bernard, Mark Lewin, and many others were giving us a laugh. Yes, it's about as fake a Trump is, and the many shows on TV now that supposedly pass for entertainment. 

A wrestling match is soap opera with a sport narrative. For a proper wrestling match, sumo is the sport to watch.

6 hours ago, Airbrush said:

It's entertainment. Good guys vs. bad guys. Lots of action. Kind of like watching the Harlem Globetrotters play basketball. At least the acting is better than football (soccer) players acting like they were shot by a canon when someone brushes up agains their arm.

16 hours ago, zapatos said:

It's entertainment. Good guys vs. bad guys. Lots of action. Kind of like watching the Harlem Globetrotters play basketball. At least the acting is better than football (soccer) players acting like they were shot by a canon when someone brushes up agains their arm.

Yes but it is entertainment that is ABSURD "Good guys vs. bad guys" as if THAT is a realistic proposition, and it looks FAKE "Lots of action" at all times.  It is a strange melodramatic sport.  All other sports try, at least for appearances, to play it fair and realistic.  WWE acting is not better than football (soccer), sorry to differ.  Pro wrestling NEVER looks at all realistic, but every moment looks fake.  Each gives a speech calling his opponent a "total loser" and how he is the greatest of all time.  Each is ACTING like they are inflicting pain on the other and yet each pulls his punches and throws to not hurt the other.  It is some kind of strange, contradictory and stylized Kabuki dance.  It would be hard for me to watch it for more than a few minutes, like trying to watch a Trump rally speech.

Edited by Airbrush

17 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

Yes but it is entertainment that is ABSURD "Good guys vs. bad guys" as if THAT is a realistic proposition, and it looks FAKE "Lots of action" at all times.  It is a strange melodramatic sport.  All other sports try, at least for appearances, to play it fair and realistic.  WWE acting is not better than football (soccer), sorry to differ.  Pro wrestling NEVER looks at all realistic, but every moment looks fake.  Each gives a speech calling his opponent a "total loser" and how he is the greatest of all time.  Each is ACTING like they are inflicting pain on the other and yet each pulls his punches and throws to not hurt the other.  It is some kind of strange, contradictory and stylized Kabuki dance.  It would be hard for me to watch it for more than a few minutes, like trying to watch a Trump rally speech.

Well, if it's not for you then by all means let's ban it. Along with all Rocky and Star War movies, shows like The Living Dead, Opera, Dr. Seuss, Call of Duty video games, DC comic books and the resultant movies, Civil War reenactments, paint ball, and of course all works by Jackson Pollock.

5 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Well, if it's not for you then by all means let's ban it. Along with all Rocky and Star War movies, shows like The Living Dead, Opera, Dr. Seuss, Call of Duty video games, DC comic books and the resultant movies, Civil War reenactments, paint ball, and of course all works by Jackson Pollock.

I like Jackson Pollack's stuff. When you look at his body of work, they are anything but random.

Edited by StringJunky

3 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

I like Jackson Pollack's stuff. When you look at his body of work, they are anything but random.

Agreed. :-)

But they certainly don't look realistic, which was a criteria set by Airbrush.

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

You beat me to it. I was going to say, I draw the line at Jackson Pollack. Well not so much  line as a linear row of dots.

3 hours ago, zapatos said:

Wait a moment, I like that other stuff.  I just think to compare the over-acting in the WWE to a soccer player faking a foul is a false equivalence.

According to John Oliver WrestleMania ranks higher in popularity in the US than the World Series of baseball.  No wonder Trump won the election.