My first thousand

Eise

Just did not want to let this pass without a party (Dutch treat...). You are all invited at the lakeside!  (Just Click on the picture to see it full size.)

Thank you to all from who I learned a lot, and also thank you all who understand less than I do about certain subjects, but force me me to rethink, or make my viewpoint clearer, or force me to read some book or article (again). I noticed that much of what I read is influenced by topics here in these fora.

And thanks to those who make this forum possible, moderators, administrators, sponsors, etc.

Up for the next 1000!

Edited by Eise

18 minutes ago, Eise said:

Thank you to all from who I learned a lot, and also thank you all who understand less than I do about certain subjects, but force me me to rethink, or make my viewpoint clearer,

I like your attitude, Sir.

17 minutes ago, Eise said:

Just did not want to let this pass without a party (Dutch treat...). You are all invited at the lakeside

Is there Advocaat? +1

I would think I belong to the second group, Eise.
I'm sorry if I've forced you to rethink, or make your viewpoint clearer, or forced you to read.
I can assure you I always look forward to reading your posts, and attending your parties.
Keep them coming.

1 hour ago, studiot said:

Is there Advocaat?

You seem to like Advocaat... This is the second time you mention it in a posting! But I do not live in the Netherlands anymore. We do not have such lakes, with mountains around it. So I am afraid, no Advocaat. Sorry.

43 minutes ago, MigL said:

I would think I belong to the second group, Eise.

Don't worry, the two sets are not mutually exclusive. It depends on the topic.

45 minutes ago, MigL said:

I'm sorry if I've forced you to rethink, or make your viewpoint clearer, or forced you to read.

No need to say sorry! I like it.

Just now, Eise said:

You seem to like Advocaat... This is the second time you mention it in a posting! But I do not live in the Netherlands anymore. We do not have such lakes, with mountains around it. So I am afraid, no Advocaat. Sorry.

Schnapps will do.

:)

2 hours ago, Eise said:

Ahhh, the Netherlands.My favourite entertainer/showman/Violinist/Conductor/Entrepeneur  comes from Maastricht in Holland. I'm sure you would know who I mean. Nice OP also, and while I certainly have crossed swords with you on occasion, you have on a couple of those occasions, made me rethink my position also.

2 hours ago, Eise said:

This is the second time you mention it in a posting! But I do not live in the Netherlands anymore.

I was wondering about that, the Netherlands were much flatter in my memory. Assuming still being in Europe it looks much more like a different country which speaks fake German (among other things) ;p

40 minutes ago, koti said:

I wouldn’t try saying that in a coffee shop in Amsterdam :P 

I think a coffee shop is somewhat safer than some of the seedier bars. But then this is such a common  situation (or used to be) that I doubt much would come from it, besides more beer (incidentally, that is how Dutch was developed as a language).

13 hours ago, studiot said:

Schnapps will do.

To keep in style (i.e. some Swiss stuff), would Kirsch or Williams do? Otherwise I have a small choice of single malts (and one of them is Swiss!).

10 hours ago, beecee said:

Ahhh, the Netherlands.My favourite entertainer/showman/Violinist/Conductor/Entrepeneur  comes from Maastricht in Holland.

2 Things: Ehmmm. No idea who you mean, I am sorry. Maybe because I am already living in Switzerland since more than 25 years?

And the other thing: never say of Maastricht that it is in Holland! The Netherlands and Holland are not the same!

10 hours ago, CharonY said:

I was wondering about that, the Netherlands were much flatter in my memory.

MUCH flatter. Only water surfaces on windless days are flatter...

image.png.e319d10c9d4346e672f0bb552d0487ed.png

10 hours ago, CharonY said:

Assuming still being in Europe it looks much more like a different country which speaks fake German (among other things) ;p

You know the Swiss are proud of their dialect? So please be careful, do not offend the other guests at the party...

9 hours ago, CharonY said:

I think a coffee shop is somewhat safer than some of the seedier bars.

You are probably right. After eating a piece of cake in a coffeeshop, aggressiveness is reduced to a minimum... Never understood why these are called 'coffeeshops'. The other stuff is much more important...

Edited by Eise

2 hours ago, Eise said:

2 Things: Ehmmm. No idea who you mean, I am sorry. Maybe because I am already living in Switzerland since more than 25 years?

And the other thing: never say of Maastricht that it is in Holland! The Netherlands and Holland are not the same!

OK, my first point was referencing Andre Rieu...here he is in Melbourne at a concert I was also at... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UFmwArST-I

The second point you raised, I can only plead ignorance, so something I have learnt today, thanks.

9 hours ago, Eise said:

You know the Swiss are proud of their dialect? So please be careful, do not offend the other guests at the party...

Ooooh I know. Since you are from the Netherlands, I am sure you have heard about the the rivalries regarding the various German dialects (and traditionally the outgroup is made fun of as being fake or drunk German, whichever it is). I like to make fun of it, especially at parties because, well, I do not look German at all but am a native speaker and used to have the ability to somewhat convincingly mimic a number of dialects. It is terrific fun to see people start to take offense if someone makes fun of certain dialects and then get visibly confused when they see me. But of course, the subsequent peace offering is beer and then we all make fun of Frisians (sometimes) or folks from Saxony (all the time). 

14 hours ago, CharonY said:

I do not look German at all but am a native speaker and used to have the ability to somewhat convincingly mimic a number of dialects. It is terrific fun to see people start to take offense if someone makes fun of certain dialects and then get visibly confused when they see me.

Is that you, Kaya?

14 hours ago, CharonY said:

But of course, the subsequent peace offering is beer and then we all make fun of Frisians (sometimes)

Watch it! I would guess I have 3/4 Frysian blood. My nick is even Frysian!