Meat and Vegetables

Royston

Meat and Vegetables  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What choices have you made when it comes to dietary requirements and what are your reasons for those choices ?

• Omnivore
    • Vegetarian
    • Vegan
    • Other

I became a vegetarian roughly a year and a half ago, where I'd been toying with the idea for much longer.

Strangely, although I've not indoctrinated myself, pass not eating meat, I find the idea of eating any meat completely repulsive, albeit I've only cut it out of my diet. There is no other influence as far as I'm aware of to trigger such a response :).

I chose to be a veggie for environmental impact reasons and also are lack of knowledge when it comes to sentience.

So, just wondering what you sciencey types choose as a diet choice, and why ?

I eat meat, I like to try different foods when I travel, I also try to cut doen on meat consumption when I don’t need it as much since I stopped working out after my spine surgery. I still eat meat but less of it (especially less beef) I find myself eating veggie spaghetti more often these days for example. I do not find it repulsive to eat meet by any means though. 

Vegetables are a necessary evil, to get your vitamins and keeping the bowel running smooth. If I could live a healthy life on meat alone, I'd do it.

But I do appreciate every single vegan and vegetarian out there. They make my environmental footprint less damaging. Or at least that's what I tell myself :D

I am an omnivore, because that's what homo sapiens evolved as. Ethically I am opposed to meat eating, but some meats taste too good, so I succumb. That said, I eat little beef, no pork and focus on fish and chicken. Most days I meet or exceed the target of five portions of fruit and vegetables per day.

I eat everything and anything in moderation except eggs. [other then in cakes fried rice etc]. Still I am a  pleasantly plump type of build, that some may label as approaching fat or obese. But health still OK, so I'll keep eating plenty of veggies, chicken, pork beef or fish, and the very occasional KFC and/or Big Mac.

ps: If stuff such as the crackling on pork is so bad for you, why did we evolve to find it absolutely scrumptious!

Edited by beecee

A sample of 11 is more than enough to come to hasty conclusions.

So the majority of SFN'ers enjoy feasting on the flesh of murdered animals. ;) 

On 3/24/2019 at 8:45 PM, Intrigued said:

I am an omnivore, because that's what homo sapiens evolved as. 

Poor use of a term on my part...being physiologically an omnivore is obviously not a choice.

17 hours ago, Royston said:

Poor use of a term on my part...being physiologically an omnivore is obviously not a choice.

Not a poor use of the word choice on your part, rather an overly subtle reply on my part. My precise point was that humans are naturally omnivores, therefore - for most people - being an omnivore is not a choice, it is the default position.

6 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

A sample size of 1 would be enough to rule out some options- for example, one omnivore rules out the idea that we are all vegan.

It was a joke, but sure, (I would hope) there is prior knowledge about the poll, i.e veganism and vegetarianism does exist.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/24/2019 at 6:55 PM, Royston said:

So, just wondering what you sciencey types choose as a diet choice, and why ?

Using all genetically determined food sources make it easier to get all essential amino acids, minerals, and vitamins. 

To be an omnivore gives a more nutrient, delicious and creative way to nurture myself.