Dino's did it Homo-style

Skye

050728_dinoembryo2.jpg

From here

Just like people, Massospondylus carinatus began life as a quadruped and as they grew became bipedal.

From the above site:

"As the animal grew from embryo to adult it went from an awkward-looking, big-headed quadruped to a small-headed, long-necked adult that was quite comfortable running around on its hind legs," said Robert Reisz, a vertebrate paleontologist at the University of Toronto at Mississauga, Canada.

050728_dinoembryo2.jpg

From here

Just like people' date=' [i']Massospondylus carinatus[/i] began life as a quadruped and as they grew became bipedal.

.[/i]

that reminds me to ask, how did dinosaurs copulate?

one assumes like birds, since birds are (decended from) dinosaurs

but some of those dinosaurs had massive tails that would have gotten in the way if they tried to do it like birds

and dinosaur eggs were AFAIK hard shell, so I would imagine they would not have been fertilized outside, in the nest.

has this already been discussed at SFN?

Well, that is a problem, one that I vaguely recall has gotten attention in the scientific community. The issue with adressing it, however, is the penis. Birds lack a copulatory organ, but all reptiles except the tuatara have a penis or paired hemipenes, the former being the case with the closest extant dinosaur relative on the other side of birds, crocodilians.

So if a male dino had a penis, it could become suitably long (and possibly even dextrous as in whales) to deal with the issue of a tail in the way, but if not, it'd be hard or impossible for some species to mate. And since the naughty bits don't fossilize, we don't know which it is.

Personally, I suspect they had penii. This is due to the fact that there'd be no advantage in losing it, and many have tails that would have obstructed or prevented mating without it. IMHO the begining of flight was probably the most likely time for the loss of penii, because loss of the penis would reduce weight and the reduction of the tail to a short stub would allow for cloacal juxtaposition.

Mokele

Well' date=' that is a problem, one that I vaguely recall has gotten attention in the scientific community. The issue with adressing it, however, is the penis. Birds lack a copulatory organ, but all reptiles except the tuatara have a penis or paired hemipenes, the former being the case with the closest extant dinosaur relative on the other side of birds, crocodilians.

So if a male dino had a penis, it could become suitably long (and possibly even dextrous as in whales) to deal with the issue of a tail in the way, but if not, it'd be hard or impossible for some species to mate. And since the naughty bits don't fossilize, we don't know which it is.

Personally, I suspect they had penii. This is due to the fact that there'd be no advantage in losing it, and many have tails that would have obstructed or prevented mating without it. IMHO the begining of flight was probably the most likely time for the loss of penii, because loss of the penis would reduce weight and the reduction of the tail to a short stub would allow for cloacal juxtaposition.

Mokele[/quote']

Im trying to get something published on this subject...so i get the credit .I will let you know later..

wait how the hell would this work?

it would have to be guy<-guy<-guy

or girl<-guy-<guy

or are there hermaphroditic turtles?

for many years we shared our residence with two good-size female red-ear turtles.

they both used to lay eggs from time to time, which of course were never fertilized and just cluttered the rocks and platform we had provided for the turtles to bask on

sometimes, when they were enjoying basking in the warm light, one turtle would "court" the other

I could describe the routine, in case anyone thinks they would ever like to court a turtle and wants to know how.

turtles mostly just do what they feel like doing, not being much governed by social norms

wait how the hell would this work?
Any references to such images I have ever seen, simply attribute the female-male-male pairings to the fact that the presence of the lusty female overwhelms and confuses the second male, or maybe he's trying to get the horny fu**er off his girl. Whichever.

Damn typos :mad: . I can't type worth crap, and they make me look stupid... anyway we Phoeniceans don't have a whole lot of animals, but what we do have is pretty cool. We're even starting to get a few jaguars.

EDIT: to prove that my "chelonion" was a one-time typo, check post number six. Nyah-nyah :P