Are Kinetic Energy Weapons Possible?

DARK0717

I was wondering as I was playing Apex Legends that are these energy weapons possible, more accurately is to shoot an energy ball/projectile. How could today's science achieve shooting maybe balls of electricity without it scattering in an instant as it leaves the barrel. In my head, im thinking that energy is contained in magnets, then those magnets push the highly compressed electricity out but then it will dissipate very rapidly. Is there a way to partially solidify energy/electricity?

(note: im not talking about plasma balls)

Edited by DARK0717

Plasma based is the most realistic way(for energy weapon). I think handheld weapons are doable if power storage improves. Hot, Ionized, Gas. What's not to love?

Since they are a gas, can even follow people for a ways.

Magnets don't really push electricity out. Relative motion between a magnet and conductor can generate power though.

Edited by Endy0816

4 minutes ago, Endy0816 said:

Plasma based is the most realistic way(for energy weapon). I think handheld weapons are doable if power storage improves. Hot, Ionized, Gas. What's not to love? Since they are a gas, can even follow people for a ways.

Magnets don't really push electricity out. Relative motion between a magnet and conductor can generate power though.

but then, plasma dissipates really fast as soon as it leaves the weapon. Maybe a way to contain it, if only today's science can isolate magnetic fields only and put it around plasma to contain it as it travels.

7 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

If you throw a rock, it's a kinetic energy weapon.

yes, ofcourse. Ha, ha, ha

There is a difference between kinetic energy projectiles and kinetic object projectiles

Edited by DARK0717

Are Kinetic Energy Weapons Possible?

KE weapons are amongst the oldest ones we have.

Fist, lance, spear, arrow, club, quarrel, ram, cannonball, bullet..........................................

Edited by studiot

3 hours ago, DARK0717 said:

There is a difference between kinetic energy projectiles and kinetic object projectiles

Why don't you enlighten us on these details, so that we don't go astray?

Things that are called kinetic weapons already exist. The damage is done by the KE of the weapon or projectile, rather than an explosion when  it hits its target. studiot has listed several. Railguns are a recent addition to that list.

But you seem to be asking about something else.

5 hours ago, DARK0717 said:

but then, plasma dissipates really fast as soon as it leaves the weapon. Maybe a way to contain it, if only today's science can isolate magnetic fields only and put it around plasma to contain it as it travels.

There's longer lasting ones that occur naturally. They've made progress with ball lightning fairl recently.

https://www.livescience.com/61946-ball-lightning-quantum-particle.html

• 4 weeks later...

In military terminology, Kinetic Energy (KE) is most often (I even risk, only) used to describe solid anti-armor projectiles, like APFSDS (sometimes with a -T added for tracer). Check out

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/m829a1.htm

for an example, there are many like that (and not only uranium ones).

The terminology is used to differentiate KE armor-piercing rounds from Chemical Energy anti-armor rounds or warheads, which contain high explosives, and therefore most often called HEAT. Example at the link:

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m830a1.htm

Origonal Poster really should clarify...

Edited by theHassan
added clarification