What are your favorite popular science books?

Vexen

Demon Haunted World by Sagan is great, and also Pale Blue Dot. So is Six Easy Pieces by Feynman. Hawkings Brief History of Time is Classic, as is Elegant Universe by Greene. Blind Watchmaker by Dawkins is solid, as is Sapiens by Harari. Years ago, I enjoyed Magic Furnace by Chown, but unsure how precisely correct it was. 

You asked for a favorite, though, and I suppose my all-time favorite is Blackholes and Time Warps by Thorne.

Just a process point: There’s like a thousand threads here about books, and the site even has a forum for discussing them. You might check first to avoid redundancy or duplication.  

https://www.scienceforums.net/forum/90-book-talk/

7 hours ago, iNow said:

Demon Haunted World by Sagan is great, and also Pale Blue Dot. So is Six Easy Pieces by Feynman. Hawkings Brief History of Time is Classic, as is Elegant Universe by Greene. Blind Watchmaker by Dawkins is solid, as is Sapiens by Harari. Years ago, I enjoyed Magic Furnace by Chown, but unsure how precisely correct it was. 

You asked for a favorite, though, and I suppose my all-time favorite is Blackholes and Time Warps by Thorne.

Just a process point: There’s like a thousand threads here about books, and the site even has a forum for discussing them. You might check first to avoid redundancy or duplication.  

https://www.scienceforums.net/forum/90-book-talk/

Have read all that you have mentioned other then Dawkin's book, and have Thorne's BH's and Time Warps also as my favourite. 

I failed to mention, that the bestest book, [period] that I have ever read was "The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes. Not so much about the title as such, but a grand historical account of late 19th century and 20th century physics/chemistry, from Curie, Becqueral and Rhotegen, to Meitner, Rhuterford, Szillard, Bethe, Bohr, through to the incredible gathering of the world's greatest brains under R.J Oppenheimer, and the Manhatten project.

Anyone all interested in how science logically progresses from when radioactivity was first realised, this book is a must.

48 minutes ago, Itoero said:

I'll rephrase it...I can't read books.

Not even talking books?

On 3/16/2019 at 10:33 AM, Vexen said:

What are your favorite popular science books?

Now would be the time to tell us what your favourites are.

1 hour ago, studiot said:

Not even talking books?

It's possible but my hearing isn't 'perfect' and my level of concentration is rather low. It's often hard to pay attention while watching movies or tv-shows.

On youtube there are many lectures and even talking science books. A while back I started "Black Hole War: My Battle with Stephen Hawking to Make the World Safe for Quantum Mechanics" but did not continue.

1 hour ago, Itoero said:

It's possible but my hearing isn't 'perfect' and my level of concentration is rather low. It's often hard to pay attention while watching movies or tv-shows.

On youtube there are many lectures and even talking science books. A while back I started "Black Hole War: My Battle with Stephen Hawking to Make the World Safe for Quantum Mechanics" but did not continue.

Well I'm sorry to learn of your difficulties.

Is there any way we can help?

Also perhaps we should continue this in another thread or PM since it is a bit off topic.

Edited by studiot

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 5:01 PM, studiot said:

Well I'm sorry to learn of your difficulties.

Is there any way we can help?

Also perhaps we should continue this in another thread or PM since it is a bit off topic.

Thx for that comment. I'm used to living like that and got all the help I needed.

My favorite science book was my geology textbook from when I was a Student.

I've been attempting to read, On the Shoulders of Giants, which is more like a library than a single book, but I keep putting it down so I can grab my tablet and tune in to SFN. I'm guessing that I have at least twenty more years to finish the book, but then I will have to start over because I'll have forgotten the beginning, but that is okay. I'll just start another twenty years of reading hoping to repeat the cycle.