Australia's Highest Ranking Catholic sentenced to 6 years;

beecee

51 minutes ago, beecee said:

https://www.google.com/search?q=george+pell+sentence&oq=george+pell+sentence&aqs=chrome..69i57.7079j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

George Pell sentencing LIVE: Cardinal receives six years in prison:

George Pell has been sentenced to six years' jail, with a non-parole period of three years and eight months.

I think it's downhill all the way for the RC church in terms of global credibility and authority. They've lost much of their influence in Ireland.

5 hours ago, StringJunky said:

I think it's downhill all the way for the RC church in terms of global credibility and authority. They've lost much of their influence in Ireland.

Agreed. Most in this country are now waiting for a reply/decision from the Vatican. He was the Pope's chosen one and ran the Vatican's finances.

ps: He has appealed the decision and that will be heard in June...Until then, he is behind bars under protective custody.

5 hours ago, StringJunky said:

I think it's downhill all the way for the RC church in terms of global credibility and authority

49 minutes ago, beecee said:

He was the Pope's chosen one and ran the Vatican's finances.

Seeing as the Pope is supposed to be infallible and speak the unerring word of God then that would suggest that God actually chose the priest knowing what he would do. 

I agree - ALL credibility totally gone. 

(PS - I thought I recognised the name - he was in a chaired religious debate with Dawkins a few years back - that didn't go well for him either).

Edited by DrP

16 minutes ago, DrP said:

Seeing as the Pope is supposed to be infallible and speak the unerring word of God then that would suggest that God actually chose the priest knowing what he would do. 

(PS - I thought I recognised the name - he was in a chaired religious debate with Dawkins a few years back - that didn't go well for him either).

6 hours ago, DrP said:

A common misconception. The Pope is only infallible when speaking ex cathedra. The last time that happened was in 1950.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_infallibility

6 hours ago, DrP said:

This is very similar case as in spies and intelligence agencies. Newbie members and old members of CIA etc. organisations are routinely checked on lie detectors (that does not help with involuntary releasing of information, but limits intentional actions).

Even in private companies, somebody accused of stealing a large amount of money is often asked to be verified on lie detector.

Similar standards should be adopted in such organizations like Catholic Church, to get rid of criminals who should not be there at the highest positions..

Just now, Sensei said:

Similar standards should be adopted in such organizations like Catholic Church, to get rid of criminals who should not be there at the highest positions..

Can you tell if someone goes though a lie detection test whether or not they will rape a choir boy?

With the collapse of 'faith' in the invisible being in the bible why bother - just dismantle the church and tell them to fo. They deserve no authority over any of us at all.

26 minutes ago, DrP said:

Can you tell if someone goes though a lie detection test whether or not they will rape a choir boy?

...in advance? No. Thing didn't happen, yet..

26 minutes ago, DrP said:

With the collapse of 'faith' in the invisible being in the bible why bother - just dismantle the church and tell them to fo. They deserve no authority over any of us at all. 

Using your the above logic the all schools should be dismantled because a few per mile to few percent of teachers are molesting students..

..what with dentists.. ? They may use sleep medicament and abuse unaware patient.. Dismantle the all dental clinics? etc. etc.

No. It is example of overreaction and collective responsibility and collective punishments for sins of minority..

Edited by Sensei

Just now, Sensei said:

Using your the above logic the all schools should be dismantled because a few per mile to few percent of teachers are molesting students..

I did not mean close them for the molestations.... I meant close them because they are teaching a lie.  A school teaches what it believes to be true based on our most up to date knowledge and changes it's curriculum when it is outdated or shown to be wrong. A church teaches what we know to be NOT true and sticks to its doctrine even when found to be utterly wrong and shown plainly what is. Being honest - I don't actually think we should close them by force -  I was venting   -  but if I won't loose sleep if they close from their own destruction from people shunning them for shit like this Pell arse.

Returning to the topic.

Pedophile-priests are confessing their sins to other pedophile-priests in confessional. Then they exchange roles and repeat and bidirectionally release their sins.

Pedophile-priests are collecting unpleasant incriminating evidences against other priests, and church hierarchs. If their molestation is revealed, they are blackmailing to reveal hierarchs wrongdoing. So hierarchs are becoming "slaves" of pedophile-priests.. Have to do what they ask or else..

Edited by Sensei

Not quite sure I follow your logic. DrP…
"just dismantle the church and tell them to fo. They deserve no authority over any of us at all"

No-one is forcing you to be a member of that 'club' and follow its rules.
Why do you think you get to tell others what to do ?

Your opinion is appreciated though.

14 hours ago, zapatos said:

So does the church.

Did you not read the whole sentence?

15 hours ago, DrP said:

A school teaches what it believes to be true based on our most up to date knowledge and changes it's curriculum when it is outdated or shown to be wrong. A church teaches what we know to be NOT true and sticks to its doctrine even when found to be utterly wrong and shown plainly what is.

17 hours ago, MigL said:

Not quite sure I follow your logic. DrP…
"just dismantle the church and tell them to fo. They deserve no authority over any of us at all"

No-one is forcing you to be a member of that 'club' and follow its rules.
Why do you think you get to tell others what to do ?

Your opinion is appreciated though.

I get that. I am not telling anyone what to do - it is opinion. It is actually happening but very slowly. Look at the authority the churches used to have. They could do anything to anyone on the whim of any priest at any time because everyone thought they had divine authority. Now days they have very little authority over anyone at all and it is reducing still as we have worked out they do not have divine authority at all but have made it all up. One day they will be nothing at all beyond 'clubs' as you put it and it will be thought of as dumb to follow such nonsense. I like the love and mercy and forgiveness etc that is preached - I've said it many times.  But Dumbo needeth not his feather to fly.

There are things happening here in PL as well. A big cinema hit movie called "Kler" (I encourage everyone to watch it, there are English subtitles available) came out last year stirring up the pot. In the last months there is a lot movement towards putting priest crimes to justice, we still have a long way towards where Australia is with sentencing priest offenders to jail time but things are moving in the right direction.

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 5:36 PM, zapatos said:

Yes. You are wrong.

About what exactly? That Churches stick to dogma regardless of whatever evidence the real world throws up and that educational institutions change their curriculum as knowledge is gathered over the decades  -  I don't think that's wrong - I must be misunderstanding you somewhere.  There is plenty of evidence to suggest that what many churches teach as fact is actually myth and superstition.

5 hours ago, DrP said:

About what exactly? That Churches stick to dogma regardless of whatever evidence the real world throws up and that educational institutions change their curriculum as knowledge is gathered over the decades  -  I don't think that's wrong - I must be misunderstanding you somewhere.  There is plenty of evidence to suggest that what many churches teach as fact is actually myth and superstition.

Your statement was much too broad and smacks of 'religion bashing'.

Just one example is that the Catholic Church now accepts both Evolution and the Big  Bang Theory. Surely that is an exception to your rule that "A church teaches what we know to be NOT true and sticks to its doctrine even when found to be utterly wrong..."

10 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Your statement was much too broad and smacks of 'religion bashing'

Why not anyway? A society that claims absolute divine infallabilty rapes and abuses children and has a reputation for doing so for man many decades....  they deserve no respect from me or anyone else. Who cares - bash away. That is exactly what I am saying   -  no respect or credit due from anyone.

11 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Just one example is that the Catholic Church now accepts both Evolution and the Big  Bang Theory. Surely that is an exception to your rule that "A church teaches what we know to be NOT true and sticks to its doctrine even when found to be utterly wrong..."

Where was it a rule? OK - It has changed on a couple of small issues...  TOO SLOW. Get them to the point  -  in fact - just get them out - we are sick of their lies.

... and being honest - they are dammed either way....  by admitting the bible is wrong and changing their tenants (although admirable) it throws all credibility of their confidence in their bible out of the window. It is a totally outdated institution built on lies and superstition and ignorance and should be disbanded/rebuilt into a social service rather than a suppose divine authority. Bollocks to them.

7 minutes ago, DrP said:

Why not anyway? A society that claims absolute divine infallabilty rapes and abuses children and has a reputation for doing so for man many decades....  they deserve no respect from me or anyone else. Who cares - bash away. That is exactly what I am saying   -  no respect or credit due from anyone.

Where was it a rule? OK - It has changed on a couple of small issues...  TOO SLOW. Get them to the point  -  in fact - just get them out - we are sick of their lies.

... and being honest - they are dammed either way....  by admitting the bible is wrong and changing their tenants (although admirable) it throws all credibility of their confidence in their bible out of the window. It is a totally outdated institution built on lies and superstition and ignorance and should be disbanded/rebuilt into a social service rather than a suppose divine authority. Bollocks to them.

So much for reasoned debate. Or Forum rules for that matter.

Just now, zapatos said:

So much for reasoned debate. Or Forum rules for that matter.

What is there to debate? The point I and others were making is that it is another nail in the coffin for their credibility. I admitted above that my initial comment was emotionally driven. What is the rules lapse here?

Lets get back to the topic and sum it up then.   George Pell is a convicted paedophile rapist and is evidence that the catholic church as an organisation is total nonce-sence. I and many others do not see why it should be given any credibility at all.  Report this if you think it is offensive or breaking rules.  

Edited by DrP