Is there any relationship between time travel and parallel universe?

Razee01

5 minutes ago, Razee01 said:

Is there any relationship between time travel and parallel universe according to current understandings or theories?

Thanks.

Not really. Time travel is theoretically possible into the future, and relativity does not forbid that. Parallel universes, if they exist, are I believe causally disconnected from our spacetime so I don't see any relationship.

12 hours ago, Razee01 said:

Is there any relationship between time travel and parallel universe according to current understandings or theories?

I know that some conjectures speculate in backwards time travel, but it violates the spacetime continuum, so I consider them a bit foolish. Forwards travel however, is very much possible. But neither of them has anything to do with the "many worlds quantum interpretation" that is equal to parallel universes.

If we assumed that "many worlds" was a reality, they would all still share the same lineal timeline, so if you jumped backwards in time into a different universe, you would still violate the spacetime continuum. So in other words, a paradox would occur, no matter how you traveled backwards.

So, if you ask me, time travel and parallel universes are not related in any way, besides that they are both very fictional currently.

Just now, zapatos said:

Can you expand on that please?

You just need to be near a black hole. Then your local time freezes.
You will not feel the difference, but a distant observer will see you as frozen. You will see them a moving rapidly.

When you go away from the black hole, after maybe hours, many years will have passed for everyone else.

2 minutes ago, QuantumT said:

You just need to be near a black hole. Then your local time freezes.
You will not feel the difference, but a distant observer will see you as frozen. You will see them a moving rapidly.

When you go away from the black hole, after maybe hours, many years will have passed for everyone else.

Then I guess it is safe to say that not only is forward time travel possible, but that it happens every day for anyone at low elevations vs those at high elevations?

1 minute ago, zapatos said:

Then I guess it is safe to say that not only is forward time travel possible, but that it happens every day for anyone at low elevations vs those at high elevations?

The more gravity you are exposed to, yes. But on Earth it's a matter of milliseconds at best.

1 hour ago, iNow said:

Just to be pedantic, I believe it’s gravitational potential that’s relevant there, not gravity itself. 

Important point in actual fact. It is what destroys you as a recognised human being when near the EH, or across it into the BH itself. The pull on your feet far exceeds the pull on your head for instance, hence the terminology of spaghettification as you are stretched asunder..

23 minutes ago, beecee said:

Important point in actual fact. It is what destroys you as a recognised human being when near the EH, or across it into the BH itself. The pull on your feet far exceeds the pull on your head for instance, hence the terminology of spaghettification as you are stretched asunder..

I wonder if you’ll elaborate?

In terms of time dilation, gravitational potential matters. Peak of the mountain differs from the valley,

In terms of spaghettification, actual gravity matters. Top of the head differs from tips of the toes.

Or, so I thought....

Edited by iNow

11 minutes ago, iNow said:

I wonder if you’ll elaborate?

In terms of time dilation, gravitational potential matters. Peak of the mountain differs from the valley,

In terms of spaghettification, actual gravity matters. Top of the head differs from tips of the toes.

Or, so I thought....

Depending on the size of the BH and the increase in gravitational potential or critical spacetime curvature. eg; Falling into the SMBH at the core of the Milky Way, would see no real adverse effect until well past the EH and on towards the singularity. Whereas as stellar size BH could see spaghettification occur even before the EH was crossed. The differences in tidal gravity from your head and your feet if falling in feet first would see spagettification in the latter case.

In fact as far as I know, the tidal gravitational effects and spaghetiffication would see a mass ripped apart and broken down into its most basic fundamental particles as the singularity is approached...even the strong nuclear binding force is overcome.

Some far more detailed answers here....

https://www.quora.com/What-happens-to-strong-forces-when-inside-a-black-hole

Edited by beecee

5 hours ago, iNow said:

Ok. We seem to be on the same page there. What’s the connection to dilation? 

I see Time dilation is a result of curved spacetime, and the further a clock is from the source of the gravity [the higher gravity potential] the faster time will appear to go compared to a clock in lower gravity potential.

Whereas tidal gravitational effects are more pronounced at lower gravity potentials then higher. 

OK! Just checked and I can see where my post agreeing with you , was actually in error in that I was on a different page! Apologies for any confusion. :doh:

Forward time travel needs only special relativity.  Go from here to some place, say ten light years away, at near the speed of light, so the journey for you is a matter of days.  Now turn around and go back to earth at the same speed.  For you the time elapsed is a matter of some number of days, but when you get back to earth it will be twenty years later.

39 minutes ago, mathematic said:

Forward time travel needs only special relativity.  Go from here to some place, say ten light years away, at near the speed of light, so the journey for you is a matter of days.  Now turn around and go back to earth at the same speed.  For you the time elapsed is a matter of some number of days, but when you get back to earth it will be twenty years later.

Travelling for 12 months at 99.999% c and returning to Mother Earth would see time on Earth to be around 223 years in the future compared to you the traveler.

http://www.emc2-explained.info/Time-Dilation/#.XIl66VQzY2w

Image result for time dilation chart

Edited by beecee