Windproof Umbrella

fiveworlds

There are really strong winds where I am from and they tend to destroy basically every umbrella I have bought including some from amazon that were supposedly rated for 60mph winds. All the big supermarket umbrellas Tesco/Dunnes etc don't last me a day. Is there anywhere I can buy an exceptionally windproof umbrella? 

I've fished in 60mph winds. Brolly/shelter  was made with 8oz nylon and 12inch pegs pinning it down...it was aerodynamically positioned for minimum resistance... I knew it was coming. The force pushing the canopy down was something else. There ain't no hand-held brolly that you can hold in  60mph winds. Either the brolly will break... or your taking off.  :)

These claim to be the strongest domestic type... with a price to match. 

https://davek.co.uk/collections/umbrellas2

I think it would be more productive to splash out on light-weight, wet weather/windproof  gear made of Goretex which will help  keep you from sweating. Again, not cheap.

Edited by StringJunky

17 minutes ago, fiveworlds said:

There are really strong winds

I've lived in such an area. Though some of the umbrellas lasted a while it didn't help; the wind blew the rain around and regardless of how I held the umbrella I ended up soaking wet. 
I bought a raincoat and a waterproof backpack  :-)

That said, some of the umbrellas in @StringJunky's link has dual-canopy design. That kind of design works rather well as far as I know.

4 minutes ago, Ghideon said:

I've lived in such an area. Though some of the umbrellas lasted a while it didn't help; the wind blew the rain around and regardless of how I held the umbrella I ended up soaking wet. 
I bought a raincoat and a waterproof backpack  :-)

That said, some of the umbrellas in @StringJunky's link has dual-canopy design. That kind of design works rather well as far as I know.

The trouble is, walking around in different directions, it's just about impossible to keep the brolly pointing in an aerodynamically-favourable direction.

These claim to be the strongest domestic type... with a price to match. 

They aren't cheap but then I must have bought at least 1 umbrella a month this year so if it lasts then it would pay for itself. If not... then it is a waste of money. All weather gear is always an option but I need it for my work commute and it is not always appropriate for an office job (I suppose I could change when I get to work)

17 minutes ago, fiveworlds said:

(I suppose I could change when I get to work)

This would seem to give you the best options for keeping your work clothes out of the weather in a consistent and efficient way. Consider that an umbrella isn't the right tool when the winds get that high. As SJ points out, if the brolly doesn't break, one or both of you are off on a flight.

I pictured you arriving for work in a coverall (or a diver's drysuit), stepping out of it to reveal your tuxedo like James Bond. You may have a different kind of office. 

45 minutes ago, fiveworlds said:

All weather gear is always an option but I need it for my work commute and it is not always appropriate for an office job (I suppose I could change when I get to work)

Use clear raincoat (aka "rain poncho").

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/clear-raincoat

They are extremely cheap, and easy to fold/unfold and hide (my has size 18 cm x 11 cm x 1 cm).

58 minutes ago, fiveworlds said:

They aren't cheap but then I must have bought at least 1 umbrella a month this year so if it lasts then it would pay for itself. If not... then it is a waste of money. All weather gear is always an option but I need it for my work commute and it is not always appropriate for an office job (I suppose I could change when I get to work)

I'd get a waterproof/windproof shell jacket with minimal padding so that you can hang or pack tight if you need to. If it's cold, put a zippered fleece on before you put the jacket on. Do you wear a full suit for work with tie/jacket? If that's the case I would wear a jumper, if it's cold, over the shirt, put on your office jacket and then your rainproof. Remove the jumper at work. You could get lightweight, waterproof over-trousers for when  it's really bad.

Edited by StringJunky