Why do babies close their eyes when they cry?

3 hours ago, eilon said:

Why do babies close their eyes when they cry? Is it to create a counter pressure to the blood pressure that builds in the small blood vessels?

Eilon

I think their facial muscles are not sufficient developed to control it.

6 minutes ago, QuantumT said:

They don't cry. They scream.

Closing your eyes partly or completely while screaming is normal for all humans, big and small.

It's called a 'meltdown' and all the switches are flicked off except for the mouth.

Just now, StringJunky said:

It's called a 'meltdown' and all the switches are flicked off except for the mouth.

Yeah, it happens a lot among teenage females.
If you think your girl baby is a handful, wait 12 years and you'll be in for a ride that will leave you bald, if you should not be so lucky to have a few grey hairs left.

2 minutes ago, QuantumT said:

Yeah, it happens a lot among teenage females.
If you think your girl baby is a handful, wait 12 years and you'll be in for a ride that will leave you bald, if you should not be so lucky to have a few grey hairs left.

My 3 year old is capable of screaming with his eyes wide open dripping with tears while drooling and dripping snot and jumping up & down and hitting a kitchen strainer on the wall - all at the same time, multitasking at its finest.

1 minute ago, koti said:

My 3 year old is capable of screaming with his eyes wide open dripping with tears while drooling and dripping snot and jumping up & down and hitting a kitchen strainer on the wall - all at the same time, multitasking at its finest.

:D:D:D

6 minutes ago, koti said:

A normal 3 year old then.  :) 

33 minutes ago, QuantumT said:

They don't cry. They scream.

Closing your eyes partly or completely while screaming is normal for all humans, big and small.

25 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Thanks for the comments, but this does not answer my question. The question is what is the physiological reason for this normal behavior. In other words, why did we develop this response to screaming, and not any other response.

Eilon

4 minutes ago, eilon said:

Thanks for the comments, but this does not answer my question. The question is what is the physiological reason for this normal behavior. In other words, why did we develop this response to screaming, and not any other response.

Eilon

It must be the amount of effort we put into it. When we concentrate hard on something, it reflects in our mimic and body language.

5 minutes ago, eilon said:

Eilon

Well, if you go into screaming mode yourself, you will find that the tops of your cheeks push into your eye sockets when you open your mouth wide, putting pressure on your eyes to close, The answer is, it's easier to shut them when screaming.

54 minutes ago, QuantumT said:

:D:D:D

47 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

A normal 3 year old then.  :) 

Oh yes, he’s my pride and joy. He taught the inlaws cat how to scratch a cat scratch thingy yesterday. Nobody could teach the damn cat that for months, my son is definitely MiT material.