Regional Dialect / Slang

Royston

I'm interested in hearing peoples slang / dialect for their region and if possible where and why the phrase was coined...

Where I grew up, getting a ride on the back of someones bike was called a backy...in a neighbouring town it was called a buggy...and in the midlands it was referred to as a croggy ???

Huge groups of kids that hang out in shopping centres wearing hoodies and cheap tracksuits are referred to as chav's / townies and locally to myself binners. Whilst growing up we referred to them as 'bus stop blaggers' as strangely enough they hung around bus stops being generally abusive to passers by.

Krustys for right-on new age traveller types and pikeys for new age travellers that aren't really right-on and just go around thieving and being abusive.

I thought about it when reminiscing on my travels where a Canadian girl reffered to clean cut types that dance to Latino House Music as ...... I can't remember the phrase she used (if anyone knows the answer to this, it'd be great...it was a few years back.)

How many names for a hick ?

What are the equivalent of chav's called in your town / city?

What do you ask for when getting a ride on the back of someones bike ?

What are the different classes referred to e.g toffs for the upper class...toffee nosed...stuck up.

If anyone can provide any quirky or fitting phrases / names, it would be really appreciated.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scotland:

What are the equivalent of chav's called in your town / city? Neds

What do you ask for when getting a ride on the back of someones bike? Backy

I can't really think of anything else that fits

Most of the slang is the same for the ones you mentioned (except that I didn't know a word for hitching a ride on the back of a bike).

Some other slang that exist in MA, US:

rubber band = elastic

water fountain (for drinking) = bubbler

sub/sandwich = grinder

adj: very (as in "very hot") = wicked

shopping cart/basket = carriage

Whilst growing up we referred to them as 'bus stop blaggers[/i']' as strangely enough they hung around bus stops being generally abusive to passers by.
"Blaggers" sounds like it stems from the British term "blackguard" (pronounced blag-ard), a name given to the lower menials of a nobleman's court and came to mean someone who was morally reprehensible.

"Blaggers" sounds like it stems from the British term "blackguard" (pronounced blag-ard), a name given to the lower menials of a nobleman's court and came to mean someone who was morally reprehensible.

Spot on...the term is generally used today as someone who takes, more often than not in a deceptive or relentless manner e.g

they've blagged another day off work again or

you're always blagging cigarettes !

That reminds me of another...Gannet (after the sea bird) someone who constantly takes, similar to greedy pig.

Which also reminds of the wealth of alternative names for the police...

Pigs, The Filth, The Sniffs, The Fuzz, Rozzers, Bobby on the beat, Boys in Blue, The Heat, five o...can anyone think of anymore

I'm not sure which of my western Canadian terms are out of the norm, but I do know I've heard a few words that are never used in Canada..such as: bloke, lad, lass, chav, blimey, fit (when referring to whether or not an individual is attractive... it just means 'athletic' here), and 'you ok?' (meaning "how are you?").

How many names for a hick? redneck

What are the equivalent of chav's called in your town / city? I'm still not quite sure what a chav is, but I can assume we call them 'wiggers'

What do you ask for when getting a ride on the back of someones bike ? Can I ride on the back of your bike?

What are the different classes referred to e.g toffs for the upper class...toffee nosed...stuck up. snob, rich bitch, prissy boy

How many names for a hick? redneck

What are the equivalent of chav's called in your town / city? I'm still not quite sure what a chav is' date=' but I can assume we call them 'wiggers'[/b']

Redneck and hick being the obvious...I was wondering if there were anymore contempary names for the inbred.

So how do 'wiggers' dress ? Are they generally considered as the lower class ? Incidentally there is a website called chavskum.com which was started as a joke, and the binners have taken to it like ducks to water...or like chavs to a can of cheap cider.

The questions I gave are just a general guideline, any slang for any place / social group / object, anything will do.

So how do 'wiggers' dress ? Are they generally considered as the lower class ?

I'm not sure "wigger" is a good synonym for "chav". In the US (where I believe that term was coined), the word means "white n*gger". Which really means a white (usually male) person who dresses like a ghetto-type rapper.

snob, prep, jock, loner, nerd, hick, punk...

i feel like im missing some key ones... have your Euro people heard of those? are they slightly different over there? do i need to define them?

are chavs just characterized by the way they dress or is the aggression towards people passing by part of it too? if so, thugs or gang bangers is probably the closest in america.

gang bangers?

some one in a gang. violent groups of teenagers, often in territorial wars with each other.

urban dictionary seems to think gangbanger means someone who has killed at least one enemy gang member, but in my neighborhood it was used to mean anyone who was in a gang.

edit, i guess not necessarily teenagers.

Oo err, it conjured up a completely different image in my mind. From the list, could you clarify prep and punk please? (The only preps I can think of are nursery kids, and I've always had a problem with punk, waaay too many uses).

Defining chavs is difficult. They tend to wear Reebok or various other brands of sports-bottoms (sweat-pants? I'm sorry, I couldnt translate here), although (fake) Burberry is also fairly common. The defining drink is probably White Lightning (or various other white ciders). The attitude is also essential. Crotch-grabbing, impregnating young girlfriends, and skipping school are popular pass-times. Music of choice would be 50 and the Crazy Frog (though I could be wrong on the 50 part, he's probably chav-parent material by now). As far as I'm aware, the wigger is probably the closest comparison that can be made, as honour doesnt seem to play as large a role in chav gangs as in gang-gangs.

Haha, hoodlums! They make the streets unsafe to walk!

Charleston WV is actually kind of weird place to live as far as slang goes. I've met stereotypical hillbillies but around the Charleston area, most people carry a more northern accent. So there's Pennsylvania / northern type dialect as well as hillbilly kindof mixed in.

The regional stereotype dialect of WV is actually pretty similar to English slang. I post at IIDB, an atheist or non-religious discussion forum. For those of you who don't know, a lot of the English population (especially the younger percentiles) is secular/atheist so there are a lot at the boards. Some Americans ask what XXX means and most of the time I find that I can answer it.

Ask my old WV history teacher and she'll go crazy about WV "preserving" the "high-class" slang of England.

I'm not sure "wigger" is a good synonym for "chav". In the US (where I believe that term was coined), the word means "white n*gger". Which really means a white (usually male) person who dresses like a ghetto-type rapper.

Actually, the word "wigger" was coined together by ignorant people that don't understand the Hip-Hop culture.

Anyone can listen to Hip-Hop, whites, blacks, spanish, american, indian, chinese. Anyone can dress with Hip-Hop culture clothes, Enyce, South Pole, Sean John, and etc.

Now, there are of course the "wanna be" thugs. Thats a different situation. Being a lover of Hip-Hop, dressing like it, and understand it is acceptable for anybody. But, when people that want to be "thugs" or gangsters or pretend drug dealers, these are the ignorant people. Need I remind you that Hip-Hop is not only gangs and violence, thats a branch of Hip-Hop called "gangsta rap" which came into exsitence in the year of 1989 and was started by the infamous group "N.W.A".

To sum it up, the word wigger was created by people that don't understand the situation with hip-hop, and think that any person who isnt black that listens to rap, is a wanna be thug or gangster. That is NOT the situation. Many white and other non-blacks, love hip-hop, poetry, rhyming, break dancing, graffiti, and DJ'ing, and freestyling.

So the word wigger is a word used by Ignorant people, coined by ignorant people.

Oo err, it conjured up a completely different image in my mind. From the list, could you clarify prep and punk please? (The only preps I can think of are nursery kids, and I've always had a problem with punk, waaay too many uses).

preps would be the snobby rich kids wearing abercrombie and fitch who are really really stuck up.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=prep

punk is pretty tough to define. in this case i was referring to the type of people who actually believe definition number four:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=punk

http://www.urbandictionary.com/images.php?imageid=27947

when punk is used by this generations parents it means an uncontrollable or unruly adolescent "that punk kid."

Defining chavs is difficult. They tend to wear Reebok or various other brands of sports-bottoms (sweat-pants? I'm sorry, I couldnt translate here), although (fake) Burberry is also fairly common. The defining drink is probably White Lightning (or various other white ciders). The attitude is also essential. Crotch-grabbing, impregnating young girlfriends, and skipping school are popular pass-times. Music of choice would be 50 and the Crazy Frog (though I could be wrong on the 50 part, he's probably chav-parent material by now). As far as I'm aware, the wigger is probably the closest comparison that can be made, as honour doesnt seem to play as large a role in chav gangs as in gang-gangs.

as i believe someone just said in another response: HOODLUMS! wankstas. wiggers. white people who think they are both black and "badass"

trying to define punk made me think of another one: Goth. the kids who wear all black, possibly with some red, often dye their hair some combination of pink and black. white make up, metal studded clothing.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/images.php?imageid=30571

http://mishami.image.pbase.com/u33/wilma/upload/21639134.GothLexi.jpg

Actually' date=' the word "wigger" was coined together by ignorant people that don't understand the Hip-Hop culture.

Anyone can listen to Hip-Hop, whites, blacks, spanish, american, indian, chinese. Anyone can dress with Hip-Hop culture clothes, Enyce, South Pole, Sean John, and etc.

Now, there are of course the "wanna be" thugs. Thats a different situation. Being a lover of Hip-Hop, dressing like it, and understand it is acceptable for anybody. But, when people that want to be "thugs" or gangsters or pretend drug dealers, these are the ignorant people. Need I remind you that Hip-Hop is not only gangs and violence, thats a branch of Hip-Hop called "gangsta rap" which came into exsitence in the year of 1989 and was started by the infamous group "N.W.A".

To sum it up, the word wigger was created by people that don't understand the situation with hip-hop, and think that any person who isnt black that listens to rap, is a wanna be thug or gangster. That is NOT the situation. Many white and other non-blacks, love hip-hop, poetry, rhyming, break dancing, graffiti, and DJ'ing, and freestyling.

So the word wigger is a word used by Ignorant people, coined by ignorant people.[/quote']

or maybe your just the one who doesnt get the idea?

wigger is a term for those fakers you mentioned. the girl's old manager in "be cool" is a wigger. eminem is not. it refers to person who acts like that because they think its cool, they dont genuinely follow the style, not merely a white gangster rapper.

How many names for a hick?
American Southest, primarily picked up from a small mountain town...

... Woodlander

... Hillbilly

... Mountain Folk

... Red Neck

... Backlander

... Roughneck

... Drunken Amish with a Gun (That might be a term coined by my family alone, I'm not sure)

there are others, but I can't quite grasp them right now...

American Southest' date=' primarily picked up from a small mountain town...

... Woodlander

... Hillbilly

... Mountain Folk

... Red Neck

... Backlander

... Roughneck

... Drunken Amish with a Gun (That might be a term coined by my family alone, I'm not sure)

yeah... thats pretty much a you only thing in my experience....

never heard woodlander or backlander.

hick and redneck are probably the most common.

Where I grew up' date=' getting a ride on the back of someones bike was called a [i']backy[/i]...in a neighbouring town it was called a buggy...and in the midlands it was referred to as a croggy ???

"trailing" or "getting trailed"

Huge groups of kids that hang out in shopping centres wearing hoodies and cheap tracksuits are referred to as chav's / townies and locally to myself binners. Whilst growing up we referred to them as 'bus stop blaggers' as strangely enough they hung around bus stops being generally abusive to passers by.

townies are people that couldn't get out of the town, typically have crummy jobs and dropped out of high school...("trailer trash" type people)

How many names for a hick ?

hick or redneck

What do you ask for when getting a ride on the back of someones bike ?

"dude, can you trail me?"

What are the different classes referred to e.g toffs for the upper class...toffee nosed...stuck up.

socs(pronounced "soshs", not "socks"), preps

never heard woodlander or backlander.

hick and redneck are probably the most common.

Meh' date=' I was just putting down the most common ones I used to hear in my hometown, before the Californians invaded and screwed everything up. But you're probably right, my entire family ([i']going a good three generations back[/i]) is as bad as I am in that sense.

But, to elaborate, "we" referred to ourselves as Mountain Folk. Those who lived out of town, out in the woods in solitary cabins were woodlanders, and those people from smaller, more isolated "colonies" further out in the desert scrub were backlanders.