Jump to content
beecee

Please pray for me:

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Today I must overcome a very real fear and dread of mine, by attending a dental appointment, the first in around 10 years. Please pray for me. :P

Edited by beecee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, beecee said:

Today I must overcome a very real fear and dread of mine, by attending a dental appointment, the first in around 10 years. Please pray for me. :P

Just remember to drink lots of water right after the appointment while the anesthesia is still working. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

May His noodliness, the FSM, bless you and make you calm, with his soft ivory tentacles.
If you've eaten pineapple on pizza lately, you might want to consider praying for forgiveness. Just in case.

Edited by QuantumT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, beecee said:

Today I must overcome a very real fear and dread of mine, by attending a dental appointment, the first in around 10 years. Please pray for me. :P

If it's been ten years since your last appointment, I suspect it'd be better for us to pray for the dentist. Ewww.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, beecee said:

Today I must overcome a very real fear and dread of mine, by attending a dental appointment, the first in around 10 years. Please pray for me. :P

George Carlin's advice? Eat a whole box of Oreos in the waiting room, and make them work for it.

Seriously, though, there are many health problems that can arise from tooth problems. Even if you wear dentures, you need to see a dentist on a regular basis. We want to keep you around, and you don't want infection in the bloodstream near your brain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

George Carlin's advice? Eat a whole box of Oreos in the waiting room, and make them work for it.

Seriously, though, there are many health problems that can arise from tooth problems. Even if you wear dentures, you need to see a dentist on a regular basis. We want to keep you around, and you don't want infection in the bloodstream near your brain. 

My dentist has a sense of humor and sent me this video along with appointment time. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC3iwF6p6e0

 

Jokes aside, I have been extremely lucky with my dental health...two fillings and two extractions over 74 years. My apparent problem now is some sensitivity.

 

ps: As a kid, I was never really into lollies and sweets too much...That along with the obligatory brushing twice a day and mouth rinsing seems to have kept me in reasonable health. 

Edited by beecee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, beecee said:

ps: As a kid, I was never really into lollies and sweets too much...That along with the obligatory brushing twice a day and mouth rinsing seems to have kept me in reasonable health. 

     Going to the dentist once a year is not just about healthy teeth. They are trained Medical Doctors that can detect medical problems early enough that it could save your life. In 2010 my wife was at a dentist that had been treating her for almost 30 years, he noticed that after checking her neck and throat area that he thought her lymph glands felt abnormal and she should get them checked out by our family practitioner. Well, the FP didn't see anything out of the ordinary at first but over the next several months my wife persisted and was her own advocate about it and after adding together several other strange health issues/symptoms it lead back to proper testing that resulted in the diagnoses of her thyroid cancer. 

    That early detection by her dentist gave her a head start towards beating it.  As it was, her initial outlook was in the 90% range but within a year and four extensive surgeries and followup radiation her outlook was quite the opposite and we braced for what we thought would be just marginal life extending treatments like more destructive radiation therapies until they or the cancer killed her. Her doctor at the medical university hospital where she was treated published a paper in a medical journal about her case, the doctor said they had never seen a particular case as unusual as hers. She told my wife that she was now in the medical history books. The post operative testing showed she had a small amount of thyroid in her blood and that it could only mean that the follow up radiation that should have destroyed all cancerous and none cancerous thyroid cells had failed. The prognoses was that each 6 month test would show an increase in thyroid, that the cancerous thyroid cells that were now distributed somewhere in her body would continue to grow and spread.  

   Well, the thyroid level at the next test showed no increase, the doctors were stumped. It should show an increase, somewhere there are cells making thyroid and they should be growing and making more thyroid. The next six month test showed the same small level as was detected at the initial post radiation test that brought about the grim diagnoses in the first place. So here we are in 2019, and still, the same level was detected in her test a few month ago. She apparently has a small amount of none cancerous thyroid cells somewhere. That, to the amazement of the doctors, has survived what no thyroid cell should be able to survive. What had made all of us cautious was that this type of cancer is very slow in spreading so although we were apprehensive at first about all this we have grown more confident over time that she will not have any more problems. As her doctor said; "She's in the medical history books".

    So, seeing how difficult her situation turned out to be, it leaves us with little doubt that her dentist gave her just enough of a head start that it saved her life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, beecee said:

My dentist has a sense of humor and sent me this video along with appointment time. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC3iwF6p6e0

 

Jokes aside, I have been extremely lucky with my dental health...two fillings and two extractions over 74 years. My apparent problem now is some sensitivity.

 

ps: As a kid, I was never really into lollies and sweets too much...That along with the obligatory brushing twice a day and mouth rinsing seems to have kept me in reasonable health. 

Gee, I was convinced you were my age, you are young by heart Sir.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, arc said:

       So, seeing how difficult her situation turned out to be, it leaves us with little doubt that her dentist gave her just enough of a head start that it saved her life. 

Hope the news continues to be bright on that front.

Me? had an extraction with some problems due to extensive roots, which needed to gum to be cut and stitches after removal. Rest of the news good.

3 minutes ago, koti said:

Gee, I was convinced you were my age, you are young by heart Sir.

 I try to be, but am at times stuck in a time warp with my fifities/sixties musical tastes, or so my Son tells me! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, beecee said:

 

 I try to be, but am at times stuck in a time warp with my fifities/sixties musical tastes, or so my Son tells me! 

Middle class teens and early 20’s kids are going crazy about 60’s music and lifestyle nowdays so you can feel even younger :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, beecee said:

Hope the news continues to be bright on that front.

Me? had an extraction with some problems due to extensive roots, which needed to gum to be cut and stitches after removal. Rest of the news good.

 I try to be, but am at times stuck in a time warp with my fifities/sixties musical tastes, or so my Son tells me! 

I'm stuck in the early seventies with the guitar gods of the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

I'm stuck in the early seventies with the guitar gods of the day. 

"you can't train an old dog new tricks"..

ps. Personally I disagree with this sentence.. I was teaching local archbishop, 67 years old at that time, a bit of quantum physics and fusion.. It depends on personal resistance for knowledge and change..

 

Edited by Sensei

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SerengetiLion said:

I don't want to sound negative, just real. Just who do you want people to pray to?

He was being humorous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SerengetiLion said:

I don't want to sound negative, just real. Just who do you want people to pray to?

IIRC, Cthulhu is the god of tooth extraction and torture. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.