Vexen

What made you stop believing in God?

Posted (edited)

I had Catholic grammar school and Catholic high school.  My parents were always devout Catholics.  My first problem with believing in god was the fact there were so many religions that disagreed with each other.  People fighting each other over religion looked absurd.  Another thing that happened was I learned Santa Claus was fake.  My mom explained away the nonexistence of Santa as a "spirit that lived in our hearts."  I read much of Bhagavad Gita and later Castaneda and thought that spirituality or shamanism was far more sophisticated, and intellectually satisfying, than Christianity.  I have been skeptical of all religions ever since.  However, apparently many people NEED IT.  On my death bed I will TRY to believe again just for comfort, during my last hours.

People don't really BELIEVE in religion, they only WANT to believe.  Following a religion is not a matter of belief, but social pressure and a WANTING to believe.

Edited by Airbrush

Absolutely agree.
Some people need Religion.
It gives them comfort and hope.
If that makes them feel better, who am I to try and take that away.

But, by the same token, don't preach to me, or try to convert me

I stopped when I thought about why god doesn't communicate with humans, giving them intellect or guidance. That led to me thinking that god was just busy with other civilizations on far away planets, because humankind was kind of a experiment for god, with god creating more sapient species that get increasingly more to his liking. I thought this because of the story of Adam and Eve, where they both "betray" god, which might have made god try to make a better species. Finally, I thought, then why should we worship him if we gain nothing because he's too busy with other civilizations.

but now I just don't believe in god because I like logic and facts more than faith, and as we evolve, there will be more facts created as we learn. And also that I still don't get the whole "doesn't communicate" thing. 

A reconceptualisation of what a deity is coupled with being subject to effed up behaviours from my "religious" family. I worship something, but there is nothing supernatural about it. However it will judge me and all of us and it is the beginning and the end, for our form of life atleast. Children, or the future I guess. Hopefully, they'll figure out where this ages wisdom lies. Might help them. 

On 4/9/2020 at 2:49 PM, MigL said:

Absolutely agree.
Some people need Religion.
It gives them comfort and hope.
If that makes them feel better, who am I to try and take that away.

But, by the same token, don't preach to me, or try to convert me

Wanna join the eff all your factions faction? Your application will be ceremonially rejected obviously, but if you're a true believer you just won't apply in the first place, because faction.

Seriously though, strictly conforming ideologues are scary in how predictable they are .

You're gonna have to re-phrase that.
I haven't a clue what you mean to say.

!

Moderator Note

Reminder: if you aren’t discussing what made you stop believing in God, you are off-topic.