What made you stop believing in God?

Vexen

1 hour ago, MandanMaru39 said:

I think the god i know said , that the god would not interfere , but would keep on calculating the good and bad with the help of angels .

And that on the day of judgement , God would reward and punish depending on the calculated good and bad .

Very weird .

It is weird seeing as the same book also says that salvation is through grace alone not through works and that all that shall believe in 'him' (gods son and his sacrifice) will be saved (regardless of calculated good or bad deeds).  Just another contradiction from a book full of plot holes.

The two books probably wanted the people to behave properly

I get the desire for people to live 'better' lives. But the books, which are supposed to be the infallible words of god, are full of plot holes and in some cases - total nonsense.

You have probably quoted from Bible

Sorry yes. Different fictional book.

I was telling about the working of God from the Muslim book Quran .

ah - the one where Mohamed flies to heaven on a horse with wings and makes the moon bleed.   Need I say more? It contains as much jibberish as the bible.

1 hour ago, DrP said:
3 hours ago, MandanMaru39 said:

The two books probably wanted the people to behave properly

I get the desire for people to live 'better' lives. But the books, which are supposed to be the infallible words of god, are full of plot holes and in some cases - total nonsense.

If you read them without that requirement, they can make sense if you can ignore the plot holes and accept the nonsense is the noise of separation.

45 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

If you read them without that requirement, they can make sense if you can ignore the plot holes and accept the nonsense is the noise of separation.

I studied it for years. I accept there is wisdom in it for contentment and peace and ways to love others and forgive. A lot of good things. But having to ditch most of it does not make it good evidence for the existence of god, which, is what this thread is about. I stopped believing there was a god (the Christian one or any of the world religion ones) a while back and the lack of consistency in the books was a contributing factor (one of many).

Other things that influenced my 'conversion' from believer to atheist:

Compelling evidence for evolution over creation.

Statistical analysis of pray answers (if something is possible, however likely, it will happen eventually)... co-incidences DO happen.

The realisation I was lying to myself as well as others.

The bombing of abortion clinics by 'Christians'.

Prayers neglected that made no sense. 'ask and you shall receive' / 'why would a father give a son a rock when he asks for bread' / 'taste and see that the lord is good'.

The discovery of mental states that cause the 'feeling' of presences that are mental tricks not supernatural encounters.

Some of the evil deeds accredited to god in the OT. You don't question it as a Christian because - 'who knows the mind of the lord' and 'do not test the lord' and 'who are you to question the ways of god' are common cop outs quoted from the bible whenever these issues crop up. 

There are many others and each point could be debated in depth or have an essay written about it on it's own. The evidence against the existence of deities described in the books from any of the worlds religions is overwhelming and pretty much incontestable. 

On 5/9/2019 at 3:05 PM, Intrigued said:

Yourself.

Now why would I post it here only mattering to me when it's already jotted down in my mind?

On 5/9/2019 at 11:50 PM, MandanMaru39 said:

This must be not so difficult to understand ,

There are many people from different backgrounds that represent religion .

Religion is mostly represented by people without much knowledge in it .

So it might have become a dull subject simply to spam the boards .

Its not always the case , Anyway religion nowadays is represented by people with very narrow perspectives .

It should be more like 

If a god in this universe exist , What would it be like ?

OK , So i have stopped believing in god because people representing it have ruined it .

People, better yet nobody in this world sways my decisions about anything. In what they say or say they feel.

7 hours ago, SerengetiLion said:

People, better yet nobody in this world sways my decisions about anything. In what they say or say they feel.

What a ridiculous way to live. Never improving yourself. Never correcting misconceptions. Never learning. Just static and still and stupid. What a ridiculous way to live. 

11 minutes ago, iNow said:

What a ridiculous way to live. Never improving yourself. Never correcting misconceptions. Never learning. Just static and still and stupid. What a ridiculous way to live. 

Not to mention arrogant, although I guess you covered that. 

9 hours ago, SerengetiLion said:

Be careful of the proverbial fall your pride is leading the way for. 

12 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Like I said I'm not swayed into making a decision on what another one says, like you in this instance, go ahead and remain ignorant in your thinking cause I can make decisions on my own by what I perceive to be good and in my best interest. How ignorant it is to make a decision based on what others think. For the record you haven't a clue about who I am and what I know. Now run along.

12 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Immature and dont esentially know squat about life. Now you run along too.

11 hours ago, SerengetiLion said:

like you in this instance, go ahead and remain ignorant in your thinking

You ignore others and call them ignorant. Pot. Kettle. Black. 

11 hours ago, SerengetiLion said:

Now run along. <...> Now you run along too

Nope. Not arrogant at all. 

On 5/11/2019 at 6:07 AM, SerengetiLion said:

So you would ignore the advice of doctors if you were seriously ill? 

However, it is refreshing to have someone admit to being completely closed-minded; it is usually an accusation aimed at others.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Stephbaker said:

I really stopped believing in God when I saw my friend going through something. I realised that we are alone here and there is no God.So I stopped from then

What's the difference between "Murphy's law" and "God"? 

33 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

I was around 30 when i realized I couldn't honestly believe in a god.

Reading the bible pretty much ended any belief in god for me.. 

Interesting. From my position, it was more a realization of the power, logic and sensibility of science, that drove me to want to know more. As that knowledge grew, as the logic of scientific theories and explanations dawned on me, I seemingly unconsciously just accepted the logic of science, the scientific method as far more realistic. 

Just now, beecee said:

Interesting. From my position, it was more a realization of the power, logic and sensibility of science, that drove me to want to know more. As that knowledge grew, as the logic of scientific theories and explanations dawned on me, I seemingly unconsciously just accepted the logic of science, the scientific method as far more realistic. 

Reading the Bible showed me the idiocy of believing in something that is in complete contradiction of methodological naturalism. I had questions from the age of 8 or so, got me sentenced to standing in the corner with a dunce hat on a few times. 

• swansont locked and unlocked this topic