Should I talk to girls I like about quantum mechanics?

Vexen

2 minutes ago, peterwlocke said:

god, vexen you really have to use common sense or you will look like you are looking for attention.

Once I overheard someone  talking to a girl about how quantum mechanics changed the way he viewed the world.

21 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

You may be able to fool people who haven't studied science at all, but what if the girls actually know quantum mechanics? You should talk about things you know well.

Get them to teach you about it. ;) 

It may seem like an odd concept, talk about things that folks (regardless of gender) are interested about? An engaging discussion is rarely about the talker. Also: "girls I like?".  I think you misunderstand some aspects of fundamental human interactions here. A topic should be raised when the occasion arises and you can create a situation where folks you are communicating with engage and enjoy themselves. If you enjoy a topic, find folks that enjoy it. Independent of gender or whether you like them (the latter only realizes themselves later. I mean, how much can you like a person if you have not had really talked to them yet?).

If you go in with the desire to present yourself in a kind of socially awkward courtship display using big, half-understood words... just don't. 

38 minutes ago, CharonY said:

It may seem like an odd concept, talk about things that folks (regardless of gender) are interested about? An engaging discussion is rarely about the talker. Also: "girls I like?".  I think you misunderstand some aspects of fundamental human interactions here. A topic should be raised when the occasion arises and you can create a situation where folks you are communicating with engage and enjoy themselves. If you enjoy a topic, find folks that enjoy it. Independent of gender or whether you like them (the latter only realizes themselves later. I mean, how much can you like a person if you have not had really talked to them yet?).

If you go in with the desire to present yourself in a kind of socially awkward courtship display using big, half-understood words... just don't. 

I've noticed socially-challenged people who wish for a partner often treat them like an alien species, instead of just talking to them normally about anything that passes at the time.

35 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

I've noticed socially-challenged people who wish for a partner often treat them like an alien species, instead of just talking to them normally about anything that passes at the time.

I have occasionally seen the same. That being said, I think it is a bit the other way around. I.e. folks who wish a partner but do not consider the "partner" aspect tend also to be socially awkward. On the other hand there are socially inept folks who found partners, sometimes awkwardly but with common hobbies, unusual they may or may not be (such as pen & paper RPGs, for example). After all, social challenges are not uniquely a male problem.

A mistake folks in the first category make is not understanding that persons from the opposite gender have as much depth as oneself and there is a lot of potential to find common interests. Those folks also a  lot of presumptions, which makes it difficult to start a  good interaction. OP does make the same mistake, the interaction is framed entirely one-sided in the ideation of the interaction as well as the example being provided. 

God, being surrounded by young folks just reminds oneself how things were...

On 3/4/2019 at 1:17 PM, Vexen said:

Should  I talk to girls I like about quantum mechanics?

If your objective is to obtain a partner, then the obvious answer is no. At least no initially. If you walk up to someone and just randomly start talking about quantum mechanics, then it's going to seem like you think you're a genius or something. Arrogance, real or percieved, isn't the ideal quality for long-lasting relationships.

After you know them, it really depends. Do they know about quantum mechanics? Does it interest them? Can you do it in a way that doesn't sound condescending? Same rules apply.

Also, as a side note, this applies to literally any social situation.