disagreeing with depressed people

gib65

Hello,

I remember reading an article a long time ago about the tendency of people to disagree with depressed people. So if a person suffers from depression, people are more likely to disagree with that person's statements and opinions. It doesn't seem to matter what those statements or opinions are (positive or negative, offensive or flattering), and it doesn't seem to matter whether the depressed person makes their depression evident or acts as if they are happy.

I can't find that article. I can't seem to find any research on any studies that would support the above. No doubt, my google search skills aren't as refined as they could be.

I'm wondering if anyone can corroborate with the above or link me to some research that supports the above (or perhaps disproves it).

Thanks.

I don’t know about the research you mention above but it has been shown that depressed people use language differently. This could then illicit different responses from people they are in contact with, IMO.

http://theconversation.com/people-with-depression-use-language-differently-heres-how-to-spot-it-90877

Language can be separated into two components: content and style. The content relates to what we express – that is, the meaning or subject matter of statements. It will surprise no one to learn that those with symptoms of depression use an excessive amount of words conveying negative emotions, specifically negative adjectives and adverbs – such as “lonely”, “sad” or “miserable”. 

More interesting is the use of pronouns. Those with symptoms of depression use significantly more first person singular pronouns – such as “me”, “myself” and “I” – and significantly fewer second and third person pronouns – such as “they”, “them” or “she”. This pattern of pronoun use suggests people with depression are more focused on themselves, and less connected with others. Researchers have reported that pronouns are actually more reliable in identifying depression than negative emotion words.

Depressed or sad people and people with a perceived lack of control usually contemplate their circumstances more deeply.  Ordinarily people will bolster their self-esteem, i.e. how they perceive themselves in relation to others, bolstering their confidence and assertiveness.  This tendency seems to prevent depression and anxiety.

thread started 8:55 Sunday or 3:55 Monday?  Oh boy.

1 hour ago, QuantumT said:

To be depressed is to have your head so far up you own ass, that you can't see nothing but shit, and feel nothing but pain.

Depression is most often a symptom of an otherwise greater condition, like bi-polarity, schizophrenia, OCD etc. A psychosomatic disorder is a disease which involves both mind and body. Some physical diseases are made worse by mental factors such as stress and anxiety.

Mental illness isn't something that goes away at the snap of a finger. It requires a thorough diagnosis, adequate medication and compassionate support. A minority of cases are treated by lifestyle changes, but the assertion everyone ought to be shamed, is shameful.

10 minutes ago, rangerx said:

Depression is most often a symptom of an otherwise greater condition, like bi-polarity, schizophrenia, OCD etc.

Wrong.
It can be.

12 minutes ago, rangerx said:

the assertion everyone ought to be shamed, is shameful

Agree.

5 hours ago, QuantumT said:

To be depressed is to have your head so far up you own ass, that you can't see nothing but shit, and feel nothing but pain.

I'm with RangerX.  Sounds like a somatosensory issue.

17 hours ago, rangerx said:

Depression is most often a symptom of an otherwise greater condition, like bi-polarity, schizophrenia, OCD etc.

...that is extraordinary far fetched statement...

Check statistics of depression, bi-polar disorder, schizophrenia..

"Here are the latest depression statistics: 300 million people around the world have depression, according to the World Health Organization. 16.2 million adults in the United States—equaling 6.7 percent of all adults in the country—have experienced a major depressive episode in the past year."

Edited by Sensei

Among five higher order personality traits (the Big Five) there is a trait called Neuroticism. It describes a generic tendency to experience negative emotions.

Correlation between Neuroticism and depression is ca. 0.7 which is similar to the levels of correlation between various tests for depression/anxiety. 

21 hours ago, QuantumT said:

Have you been depressed? It seems you talk out of your own experience. This is probably related to Coprophagia.

12 minutes ago, Itoero said:

Have you been depressed? It seems you talk out of your own experience.

Yes.

13 minutes ago, Itoero said:

This is probably related to Coprophagia.

LOL. No. The ass is a metaphor :D

As for the subject of this thread, I have some inside perspectives on it, that I still remember clearly.

When you're in a group of people, and have something to say, you need to have a firm, clear voice, and insist that it's your turn to speak. Depressed people don't have the will or means to exert that, so they quickly give up, and are not heard.

When you're one on one, the conversation is almost always very personal and intimate. Questions about how one is and so on. A depressed person does not have the surplus to invent lies, so they just say it like they feel.

For a normal, healthy person that is annoying to listen to. "Always the same negative BS!". But what one must understand, is that you asked the question yourself. You could have asked about something else. Something not personal. Something he/she does not need to lie about to sound normal.