What is your favorite tv series at the moment?

Vexen

4 minutes ago, Vexen said:

My favorite tv series is American Dad!

TV at this time, at least in my country has gone totally bonkers with the screens flooded with so called nonsensical "reality TV", from cooking shows, to getting married to others you have just met. I have a great collection of movies though and Netflix and Stan to escape such nonsensical falsities as these so called reality shows. 

2 hours ago, beecee said:

TV at this time, at least in my country has gone totally bonkers with the screens flooded with so called nonsensical "reality TV", from cooking shows, to getting married to others you have just met. I have a great collection of movies though and Netflix and Stan to escape such nonsensical falsities as these so called reality shows. 

I recently watch two Australian series Secret City and Pine Gap . I enjoyed both and hope they get follow ups. 

1 hour ago, Ten oz said:

I recently watch two Australian series Secret City and Pine Gap . I enjoyed both and hope they get follow ups. 

Both on Netflix I recall, although Pine Gap was also on the ABC, [Australian Broadcasting Corporation] which is distinct from the other free to air TV stations and the "reality tv show" plague. 

Pine Gap was excellent, although I have not seen the other one.

I recently saw a doco entitled  "Love and Bananas; An Elephant Story" It is on Stan and have been told also Netflix as well of course on dvd. Incredible story but please keep a box of tissues handy!

Another excellent movie length doco is "Blackfish"also on Stan, and about Orcas in captivity.  Both excellent. 

Edited by beecee

4 hours ago, beecee said:

Pine Gap was excellent, although I have not seen the other one.

I am a big fan of the TV show Fringe. It starred Anna Torv. Secret City is the first thing I had seen Anna Torv in since Fringe ended. Like Pine Gap the show Secret City is a political thriller. 

The surprising thing about Pine Gap to me is how much I enjoyed the romance between the two intelligence analysis. Fairly standard stuff but the performances and simple writing made it feel authentic. At times their dilemmas bordered on juvenile but it never felt forced. I always sympathized with the IT tech who was trying to help the homeless girl. The show did a good just keeping that clean while at the same time acknowledging that often in life Auch relationships aren't clean. 

5 hours ago, swansont said:

The Expanse (though it is now an Amazon show and not technically a TV show)

I just finished the 3rd season and really quite enjoyed it. 

Black Earth Rising was a story very well told on Netflix, and while it had a lot of adult content, Sex Education was sweet and funny.

I also loved The Mountain. It was super zen, though I’ve got a thing for climbing and sky diving in flying squirrel suits 

This Giant Beast That is the Global Economy was well done, too. 

Philip K Dicks Electric Dreams series was super twisty and warped and is worth a watch, as well. 

Edited by iNow

I've found British documentaries on YouTube and I don't think I'll ever get through them all.  It's wonderful! There is one series called "Battle Stations" that I'm going through right now, in the past months I've watched docs on Geology and its early founders, Ships, Planes, Airships, WW I and II Tanks and Tank Battles, Great English machines, ect. It is nice to be able to watch what you want when you want to. To all the Brits here thanks for all the great historical content that your citizens obviously care so much about. A real historical treasure chest to share with the world.

2 hours ago, Itoero said:

The Flash and The Expanse( thanks for mentioning it swansont )

And I really like The big bang theory and Young Sheldon.

Young Sheldon is not so good but the big bang theory is good.

"How the Universe Works" on the Science channel.  In the last episode about finding Earth 2.0, some think that red dwarf stars are not promising for advanced civilizations.  We should look for stars about the size of our Sun and a planet about the size of Earth, not very common.  They really have not found a planet as nice as Earth, yet.

Edited by Airbrush

On 3/3/2019 at 9:45 PM, swansont said:

Do they have it in 4K on Amazon Prime? Asking because this series somehow eluded me and since I got me a new turbo 4K HDR10+ & Dolby Vision TV set I feel it is imperative I watch only 4K from now on :P 

51 minutes ago, koti said:

Do they have it in 4K on Amazon Prime? Asking because this series somehow eluded me and since I got me a new turbo 4K HDR10+ & Dolby Vision TV set I feel it is imperative I watch only 4K from now on :P 

I don’t know if it’s 4K. I watched it on my iPad.

On 3/3/2019 at 3:45 PM, swansont said:

the first episode was slow enough that I never continued. I'm hearing good things about the latest season though.

4 hours ago, ecoli said:

the first episode was slow enough that I never continued. I'm hearing good things about the latest season though.

Wow, I watched the first episode of „The Orville” and got hooked not the Expanse of which I watched a couple episodes a year ago and concluded they were slow. Seems I might have been sleeping already yesterdayafter all. 

6 hours ago, ecoli said:

The situation is complicated, so the action builds slowly.

If felt the same about The Sopranos. Watched the first episode, thought it was boring, wasn't hooked, never went back. But The Wire hooked me, way back when, even though it had a bit of a slow build.

4 hours ago, koti said:

Wow, I watched the first episode of „The Orville” and got hooked not the Expanse of which I watched a couple episodes a year ago and concluded they were slow. Seems I might have been sleeping already yesterdayafter all. 

I was so sure I would like the Expanse I bought the first season on iTunes but then watched the first 3 episodes gave up and have never finished the first season. Thomas Jane's character walking around the future like a 50's era PI wasn't working for me. I have been told by many that the show got better but it is such a huge investment of time I have never gotten back to it. 

5 hours ago, Ten oz said:

I was so sure I would like the Expanse I bought the first season on iTunes but then watched the first 3 episodes gave up and have never finished the first season. Thomas Jane's character walking around the future like a 50's era PI wasn't working for me. I have been told by many that the show got better but it is such a huge investment of time I have never gotten back to it. 

I had it exactly the same, watched first 2 episodes on Netflix then fell asleep on the third one and gave up.

7 hours ago, swansont said:

The situation is complicated, so the action builds slowly.

If felt the same about The Sopranos. Watched the first episode, thought it was boring, wasn't hooked, never went back. But The Wire hooked me, way back when, even though it had a bit of a slow build.

Same here (minus Sopranos, have not watched that). In both cases the slow start meticulously paints a picture of the world that was vaguely familiar but had interesting undertones. I was more interested in the view of the society than the underlying mystery, at first. I think one of the first things that got me interested in the Expanse was the use of the Belter dialect, hinting that it would go deeper beyond the typical good society/ bad society tropes. In many ways the main protagonists are not that interesting, compared to the world building that is present in the series. Though it may actually feel more interesting because there is mostly explained indirectly.