Is it a contradiction to believe in evolution and be a Christian?

Vexen

What is Christian?

There are approximately 8 billion different belief systems in operation on the planet right now, ALL vastly different and interdependent from the others. To me physics proves that there is a code and therefore a coder.  Just because we can interpret a code does that then mean there is no coder? Of course not, what if the evolution of life is the God function that has given us sentience and causes us to learn, to fail, to be creative/destructive and share a commonality with all other forms of sentience.

I was involved in "christianity' until I realized that the system is a bunch of contradictions developed over time by people (Constantine) to control people with fear and reward. All the information has been corrupted by interpretational bias overtime. Only a small bit of what I consider to be true nature of God remains within texts and historical data available. Science definitely contradicts "christianity" every religious system really, It can not however contradict GOD. if there is a god then it's spirit is life, understanding and creativity. Sounds like science to me.  

It is ok to let go of the ideals that we attach to our identity because of fear of punishment of the past or hope of reward in the future. The carrot and the stick is how one trains a jackass not children or people in general. Our margin for error is what allows us to learn. It's important to not know what you believe so you can learn, evolve.

3 hours ago, Vexen said:

Not at all. The Catholic Church find it acceptable to accept the theory of evolution of life and the BB. In fact it was a Catholic priest who suggested the BB. From there though they chose to depart from science and the scientific method, and put both theories down as the work of a God.

2 hours ago, Einy and The Greeks said:

Science definitely contradicts "christianity" every religious system really, It can not however contradict GOD. if there is a god then it's spirit is life, understanding and creativity. Sounds like science to me.  

Science either gives us answers to how the universe and us came to be, [theory of evolution and the BB] or it remains uncertain and continues research into possible answers and further knowledge. It does not invent any mythical, magical, unscientific, supernatural or paranormal reasons to fill in the gaps. 

On 3/3/2019 at 8:29 AM, Vexen said:

Simple answer is no. You can believe what ever you want. 

Science is just a process really. Think of it like Zen. You can be a Zen atheist, or a Zen Christian. So to with science.

Evolution is a problem with me. But that's a whole other problem. 

Don't forget there's a reason some fields of science are called theoretical. 

4 minutes ago, Akmose said:

Evolution is a problem with me. But that's a whole other problem. 

Don't forget there's a reason some fields of science are called theoretical. 

Fortunately for us all, evolution is not one of them. 

1 hour ago, iNow said:

For clarification. You believe in evolution as spelled out by Darwin's origin of the species? Nothing more nothing less?

31 minutes ago, Akmose said:

For clarification. You believe in evolution as spelled out by Darwin's origin of the species? Nothing more nothing less?

I think it is safe to say that no one believes "in evolution as spelled out by Darwin's origin of the species, nothing more nothing less."

26 minutes ago, zapatos said:

I think it is safe to say that no one believes "in evolution as spelled out by Darwin's origin of the species, nothing more nothing less."

Out of intellectual curiosity, would you please waste some of your time telling me about this evolution. How does it work? 

9 minutes ago, Akmose said:

Out of intellectual curiosity, would you please waste some of your time telling me about this evolution. How does it work? 

Google is your friend. I assumed you understood it already as you stated you have a problem with it. Perhaps you can tell me what part is a problem for you and we can start there.

Just now, zapatos said:

Google is your friend. I assumed you understood it already as you stated you have a problem with it. Perhaps you can tell me what part is a problem for you and we can start there.

Dodgy... Very good. I like. But Google will not tell me the type of evolution you believe in. 

I explain some issue or problem with the theory. You say I'm wrong. Your answer above is nice because it leaves you open , you haven't claimed any position on what evolution is.

Plus the truth is not everything is on the internet.

Don't feel rushed to answer. I have to go to sleep. Have a good night.

6 hours ago, Akmose said:

There were some things that Wallace and Darwin got wrong. There was a lot they didn't now about. The basic principles still apply; but we know it is a lot more complex now.

4 hours ago, Akmose said:

I explain some issue or problem with the theory.

Go on then. And then maybe people can explain the specific things you don't understand.  (But maybe you should start a new thread to ask these questions.)

4 hours ago, Akmose said:

You say I'm wrong.

No one said you were wrong.

7 hours ago, iNow said:

Well, there is the "fact" of evolution (it happens; that can't be denied) and then there is the "theory" (evolution by natural selection) that explains how it happens.

8 hours ago, Akmose said:

I don’t “believe” in evolution. I accept it as true and valid in the same way I accept gravity as true and valid. Also, I accept it in a way inclusive of all we’ve learned in the hundred plus years since original publication of Origin

1 hour ago, Strange said:

there is the "fact" of evolution (it happens; that can't be denied) and then there is the "theory" (evolution by natural selection) that explains how it happens.

Interesting point, though I’m not fully on board with it. Just because we describe something as a scientific theory doesn’t necessarily mean the label of “theoretical” is appropriate. The practical usage of these terms differs enough IMO to justify a distinction and demarcation between the two. Could be argued either way, though, and best done in a separate thread. 

On 3/3/2019 at 8:41 AM, iNow said:

No. Thread done

!

Moderator Note

Obviously, this thread's focus was limited from the start, since Catholics are Christians, and the Pope has recognized evolution as a fact.

And now it's attracting hijackers and off-topic debate, so we are done here.