Very powerfull shock wave..

Digitals

rule of thumb for combustion...more O2

iirc' date=' the ratio for the biggest boom for gasoline is 15 parts air to 1 part gas(iirc, gasoline is only flammable in vapor form)[/quote']

soooo........ its 2 parts oxygen and 1 part hydrogen ? :-( ...*im looking for the biggiest boom * :cool:

remember, this is an incredibly powerful reaction. DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF OXYGEN! (especialy when mixed with H2)

So when 2 parts oxygen and 1 part hydrogen it realy does create a very powerfull shockwave/kaboom ?

The molecular formula for water is H2O. That's two hydrogens and one Oxygen.

The reaction for creating water by exploding H2 and O2 together is 2H2 + O2 -> 2H2O

That means that for every molecule of oxygen you need two of hydrogen. Since you're working with gasses that will be under the same pressure and temperature, you know that equivalent volumes will also have about the same number of molecules.

So it's really 2 parts hydrogen and 1 part oxygen. However, you should probably take YT's suggestion and use equal parts, that way more of the balloon will be consumed and you won't have hot bits flying everywhere.

it has been said but i would like to reiterate, be REALLY freaking careful when playing with oxygen, things you would never expect to burn will burn with amazing ferocity.

An iron pipe packed with iron wool, with a steady stream of 02 running down it = instant lightsabre (well not QUITE... but its a damn fine heat lance!)

Stoichiometrically perfect hydrogen/oxygen mixtures are also very platinum sensitive. A piece of platinum wire warmed up a bit by holding it in your fingertips for a while will be hot enough to instantly catalyze the combination of hydrogen and oxygen. It's quite a surprise when you pop a H2/O2 ballon with warm Pt wire and see it ignite instantly.

platinum is just a catalyste, thats why. it gives the reactants a good surface (i think) to react on, thus reducing the heat energy needed to start the reaction. From here, its a chain reaction that ignites the other H2/O2 mix.

platinum is just a catalyste, thats why. it gives the reactants a good surface (i think) to react on, thus reducing the heat energy needed to start the reaction. From here, its a chain reaction that ignites the other H2/O2 mix.

In fact, you could use platinum to light a stove burner in the event that you needed to and you were out of matches/lighters. Unlikely situation, but it would work. Pt will catalyze the reaction between CH4 and O2.

I've always wanted to do that (to light my blowtorches, instead of using those cerium metal "flint" igniters, which are unreliable).

The trouble is, where do you get a Pt wire, and how much would it cost!