How do you feel about being dead forever?

Vexen

I was thinking that we may be like the scallop with all those eyes around the inside edge of the shell.

Each of those eyes (each of us "individually") is the universe  peeking out.

When we are extinguished  we just go back to there whence we came (not the exact same place but the place with the same potential for what we are now experiencing to develop)

The wish to "live forever " ,whilst understandable puts the cart before the horse and aims to put our puny individual capacity in charge of the running of the universe itself.

Quite apart from the misery or irrelevance such an outcome would actually  occasion.

Strange is tempted live long enough to see things like quantum gravity understood (if I got that right).

That would be a mirage;I am sure there would be many equally interesting questions following on from that.

1 hour ago, Mans said:

I just know I have to take good actions along with to afterlife so that God be happy at me.

But which God?  Good actions for one God are not necessarily good actions for another God.  Since there is no way to which God is real or if they are all real or none are real, it seems like a waste of time, so I don't worry about it.

2 hours ago, Mans said:

I know we will be revived again to be accounted

How do you know that? What if they were lying to you.

2 hours ago, Mans said:

I just know I have to take good actions along with to afterlife so that God be happy at me. The worst thing that a human can take along with is bad believes and bad actions

Sounds like the worst kind of dictatorship, where people are too afraid to express their views. 

Your god gave you free will. It would be hypocritical of it to punish you for then making your own choices. It would be like The President saying, "Of course you can vote for the opposition party in the elections. But I will kill you and all your family if you do."

It sounds like your god should be tried for crimes against humanity.

2 hours ago, geordief said:

Strange is tempted live long enough to see things like quantum gravity understood (if I got that right).

That would be a mirage;I am sure there would be many equally interesting questions following on from that.

Which is why I would like to live forever: always more answers and therefore more questions!

1 hour ago, Strange said:

Which is why I would like to live forever: always more answers and therefore more questions!

Are you more of a knowledge for knowledge's  sake person or is it more of an itch that needs scratching depending on the particular problem?

I think the former kind  is an illusion and  is related to how knowledge was a  more valuable commodity  when it was unavailable to others.

Even Trump seems to be an expert on aviation these days.

Edited by geordief

1 hour ago, geordief said:

Are you more of a knowledge for knowledge's  sake person or is it more of an itch that needs scratching depending on the particular problem?

I'm not sure I see much difference between those characterisations, to be honest.

It is partly knowledge / understanding for its own sake. But it is also the technological possibilities enabled by that knowledge. I think the future will be really exciting. (As was the past and the present!)

1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

I wish I was you. But how many of us ask so many questions?   :-)

I am quite happy to leave others, smarter than me, to ask the questions. And answer them. And then explain them in a way I can understand!

28 minutes ago, Strange said:

I'm not sure I see much difference between those characterisations, to be honest.

It is partly knowledge / understanding for its own sake. But it is also the technological possibilities enabled by that knowledge. I think the future will be really excitingly (As was the past and the present!) le

I am quite happy to leave others, smarter than me, to ask the questions. And answer them. And then explain them in a way I can understand!

well, we are mostly harmless!

I've been depressed and suicidal since as long I can remember. Ever since I was bullied in high school and on the Internet I always wanted to die.

Many times I get the impression that my existence is a mistake anyway.

We are all going to die one day anyway and I honestly I'm looking forward to my death. There is nothing I can do about it anyway.

The way I see it life is completely pointless anyway.

Edited by seriously disabled

8 hours ago, Bufofrog said:

But which God?  Good actions for one God are not necessarily good actions for another God.  Since there is no way to which God is real or if they are all real or none are real, it seems like a waste of time, so I don't worry about it.

If there was multiple gods in the world, this universe was destroyed completely because of opposition, conflict and war between them. So the designer, creator and owner of the world and human is only one God.

6 hours ago, Strange said:

How do you know that? What if they were lying to you.

Sounds like the worst kind of dictatorship, where people are too afraid to express their views. 

Your god gave you free will. It would be hypocritical of it to punish you for then making your own choices. It would be like The President saying, "Of course you can vote for the opposition party in the elections. But I will kill you and all your family if you do."

It sounds like your god should be tried for crimes against humanity.

It is not dictatorship. God gave this freedom to man to choose his way, but he is responsible against his choices and actions due to his wisdom. We see the similar thing in man's social laws. A good citizen who behaves good is not equal to a criminal who is jailed because of his wrongs. 

Edited by Mans

24 minutes ago, Mans said:

If there was multiple gods in the world, this universe was destroyed completely because of opposition, conflict and war between them. So the designer, creator and owner of the world and human is only one God.

And which God is that?

How do you know they would battle as opposed to, say, starting a coffee klatch?

Where did you get this specific bit of information about them battling if there are more than one?

25 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Don't keep us in suspense. What is the evidence?

Instead we go into the nested philosophy let me to bring a very simple evidence:

A dry seed is a dead seed. but when it is situated in the humid soil it goes back to life.

What is the sperm of man? How it came into existence? Who designed it and gave it life? Isn't who created the sperm for first time able to revive a human again?

14 minutes ago, zapatos said:

And which God is that?

How do you know they would battle as opposed to, say, starting a coffee klatch?

Where did you get this specific bit of information about them battling if there are more than one?

It is a logical thing. Every supposed god claimed he was a higher creator and was the owner of the world. Also every god created something that was opposite to the creature that another god had created. This caused a conflict between them and inevitably a war happened and every god tried to destroy the creatures of another god.

Edited by Mans

1 hour ago, Mans said:

God gave this freedom to man to choose his way

Then your god should not punish people for making a choice.

It seems that your god wants to take credit for anything good but blames people for everything bad. This makes your god an arrogant hypocrite.

1 hour ago, Mans said:

If there was multiple gods in the world, this universe was destroyed completely because of opposition, conflict and war between them.

There are plenty of religions with multiple gods. They have not destroyed the universe. So you are clearly mistaken.

41 minutes ago, Mans said:

What is the sperm of man? How it came into existence? Who designed it and gave it life? Isn't who created the sperm for first time able to revive a human again?

No one designed it. 

The fact that you don't know anything about evolution is not evidence for gods, it is just evidence of your ignorance.

33 minutes ago, Mans said:

It is a logical thing. Every supposed god claimed he was a higher creator and was the owner of the world. Also every god created something that was opposite to the creature that another god had created. This caused a conflict between them and inevitably a war happened and every god tried to destroy the creatures of another god.

So you are saying that there used to be multiple gods, but your god killed all the others?

But, of course, you are wrong because in regions with multiple gods, it is not true that every god claimed to be the "higher creator". You are just making stuff up to support your beliefs.

On 3/15/2019 at 1:38 AM, Strange said:

Then your god should not punish people for making a choice.

It seems that your god wants to take credit for anything good but blames people for everything bad. This makes your god an arrogant hypocrite.

Yes, man is free to choose every belief and every doing but he is responsible against his wisdom. He should chooses the right based on his intellect and logic. Also God sent prophets  to enlighten people about realities of God and the realities that they didn't know. So after wisdom and coming the prophets (as the spiritual teachers of people) there is not any excuse for anyone. 

There are plenty of religions with multiple gods. They have not destroyed the universe. So you are clearly mistaken.

The doctrine of a religion should be according to reality and logic of man. As I explained before being multiple gods in the universe is not possible and is not adaptable with logic.  Some of the religions are man-made and are built on some baseless suppositions.

No one designed it. 

It is a simple denying and is not according to this experience and logic of man that every artifact has a designer and manufacturer.

The fact that you don't know anything about evolution is not evidence for gods, it is just evidence of your ignorance.

So you are saying that there used to be multiple gods, but your god killed all the others?

But, of course, you are wrong because in regions with multiple gods, it is not true that every god claimed to be the "higher creator". You are just making stuff up to support your beliefs.

some lifeless molecules never are change into a germ cell by themselves or by the meaningless idea, evolution! the sperm by all its complex scientific structure and mysteries says to us that it is created by a high intelligent existence.

Is a robot made by evolution?! Or it has an intelligent and knowledgeable designer and manufacturer?

Edited by Mans

33 minutes ago, Mans said:

The doctrine of a religion should be according to reality and logic of man.

As there is no evidence go gods, then religion is not based on reality.

But I agree it is based on the logic of man, because man invented gods and religion.

34 minutes ago, Mans said:

As I explained before being multiple gods in the universe is not possible and is not adaptable with logic.

It isn't logic. It is just what you believe. As there are lots of religions with multiple gods, it is obvious your are wrong.

35 minutes ago, Mans said:

Some of the religions are man-made and are built on some baseless suppositions.

I think you mean ALL religions are man-made and are built on some baseless suppositions.

36 minutes ago, Mans said:

some lifeless molecules never are change into a germ cell by themselves or by the meaningless idea, evolution!

That isn't what evolution says should happen. But feel free to keep making ignorant statements like this. It just demonstrates that you don't know what you are talking about.

If you think evolution is a meaningless idea, how do you think that domesticated animals and crops happened? We know evolution happens: we can see it happening.

37 minutes ago, Mans said:

the sperm by all its complex scientific structure and mysteries says to us that it is created by a high intelligent existence.

Only the ignorant and gullible think that.

38 minutes ago, Mans said:

Is a robot made by evolution?! Or it has an intelligent and knowledgeable designer and manufacturer?

That is a really ridiculous and illogical argument. Just because robots are designed doesn't mean that everything is designed.

It is as stupid as saying that because I can make air move by blowing, all winds must be created by people blowing air.

I came to this forum supposing it discusses about philosophies and science, and now I see here philosophers! use offensive words like ignorant, ridiculous, stupid saying and so on. Also somebodies try to respond joking and mocking. Sorry for this childish manner of discussion. 

If these commenters even don't follow a righteously belief, they must follow a literature culture, at least.   

Edited by Mans

!

Moderator Note

This is posted in philosophy and asks how you feel about being dead forever. It’s not posted in religion, so keep deities  out of it, along with debate about religion, and it’s not posted in a science section, so we’re not going to argue evolution, or any other theory.

Please stay on-topic.

Is there any choice? Being dead forever is like being useless forever and yet living in misery forever is like wanting to end up your life, for a good rest.

To add to this, just to share my thought about this discussion - Death is only a stage of the end of one's existence - living or non-living thing.
It could be temporary, as others believe that this is just a beginning of a renewal.
But who could prove it? I suppose everybody will agree that a dead man cannot stand a witness to point who murdered him, unless you believe in ghost.
Now, if you remain dead forever... hmmm... that's a one million dollar question... I stick to my guess - since if you're already dead , you will never know what's happening to you, to your surrounding and what other think of you or their reaction that you're already dead.  
For me, the important thing is how people remember you when you're still alive. 
I feel bad if I remain dead forever. I am a believer of "Reincarnation" - reason why if all the people believe that we will reborn again in this planet, why not save this planet, so when we're back to being babies again, we will still enjoy life as it was. 

5 hours ago, swansont said:
!

Moderator Note

This is posted in philosophy and asks how you feel about being dead forever. It’s not posted in religion, so keep deities  out of it, along with debate about religion, and it’s not posted in a science section, so we’re not going to argue evolution, or any other theory.

Please stay on-topic.

First of all, the subject of death is not apart from religion and it can not be discussed without this background (from viewpoint of theists).

Second, I just expressed my feeling based on my belief and did say, I'm worried about after death; but some of the users took it to a religious discussion and tried to impose their materialism opinions on my concept.

Thirdly, if I even sent my post mistakenly, they should not used humiliating words. Not only such the behaviors is not worthy in a cultural and scientific place, but also is disguising in other communities.