How do you feel about being dead forever?

Vexen

It calms me that one day I can just let go... It's the only thing that keeps me going; knowing that this life isn't forever... strange as it may seem. I used to take a lot of drugs to block out life, but now I take it full on and clear-headed  because I know it's only temporary. Funny thing is that I'm enjoying life a lot more.  :)

Edited by StringJunky

2 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

It calms me that one day I can just let go... It's the only thing that keeps me going; knowing that this life isn't forever... strange as it may seem. I used to take a lot drugs to block out life, but now I take it full on and clear-headed  because I know it's only temporary. Funny thing is that I'm enjoying life a lot more.  :)

Don't you enjoy being with your friends and family? Wouldn't it be nice to continue existing so you can enjoy life forever?

3 minutes ago, Vexen said:

Don't you enjoy being with your friends and family? Wouldn't it be nice to continue existing so you can enjoy life forever?

How many times do you want to 'go around the block'? Bear in mind, I'm not far off sixty. You still have your life ahead of you and many experiences still to have, but there seems to come a point where you start to become too familiar with the way the world is .

Edited by StringJunky

1 minute ago, StringJunky said:

In 30-40 years time you might consider that a really bad dream.  :)

So, you saying people will get bored if they live forever. I'd rather be bored forever than died forever.;)

15 minutes ago, Vexen said:

Wouldn't it be nice to continue existing so you can enjoy life forever?

It's practically impossible to discuss anything rationally when you include irrational parameters. How much experience do you have with infinity, or things that are ALWAYS one way or another, or things that last forever? I don't think wishful thinking is meaningful.

We had a thread about living forever some time ago, and IIRC, consensus was that a few centuries would be best, provided we age at a slower rate, so you don't spend 80% of your life as an old person.

Personally, I know that I won't be bothered about not being alive when I'm dead, so it doesn't bother me now. Like StringJunky, it gives me a sense of peace knowing one day I'll go to sleep and it will just never end. I love life very much, but I know as long as my body keeps decaying, I'll reach a point where it's just not enjoyable struggling on.

9 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

It's practically impossible to discuss anything rationally when you include irrational parameters. How much experience do you have with infinity, or things that are ALWAYS one way or another, or things that last forever? I don't think wishful thinking is meaningful.

We had a thread about living forever some time ago, and IIRC, consensus was that a few centuries would be best, provided we age at a slower rate, so you don't spend 80% of your life as an old person.

Personally, I know that I won't be bothered about not being alive when I'm dead, so it doesn't bother me now. Like StringJunky, it gives me a sense of peace knowing one day I'll go to sleep and it will just never end. I love life very much, but I know as long as my body keeps decaying, I'll reach a point where it's just not enjoyable struggling on.

You might feel nothing when you're dead but what about the people that you are leaving behind. They will certainly feel bad.

6 minutes ago, Vexen said:

You might feel nothing when you're dead but what about the people that you are leaving behind. They will certainly feel bad.

They'll see that you are worn out and its time for you to pass. That eases the sense of loss.

7 minutes ago, MigL said:

You guys are 'quitters'.
Isn't there always something else you want to do ?

Whadya mean? Not all of us want to leave a mark and are just happy to watch things grow and die, and people come and go. I'm learning all the time and probably always will. I'm not a quitter... I'm still alive.  :P I've spent my life picking myself up, dusting myself down and not quitting... f  knows why! :D 

Edited by StringJunky

1 hour ago, Vexen said:

I have no control over what others feel, and I'll have no interest once I'm dead. If it makes them feel better, they can put my ashes in a paper bag and toss them in a dumpster, and save some money and hassle over the funeral arrangements. It would make me feel better now knowing no money would be spent on overpriced interment.

1 hour ago, Vexen said:

What makes you think your life will be enjoyable forever? Are you enjoying it now? Hanging out with your friends? What if you are poor, alone, and disease ridden for the next 100,000 years, and then the REALLY bad times start?

37 minutes ago, zapatos said:

What if you are poor, alone, and disease ridden for the next 100,000 years, and then the REALLY bad times start?

AKA 24/7 Reality TV shows. Binge-watching all 21,650 seasons of Man vs Beast. You will LONG for death.

3 hours ago, Vexen said:

How do you feel about being dead forever?

I don't like the idea but I don't fear the moment. Like Tyrion Lannister said: "Death is so final, while life is full of possibilities."

2 hours ago, Vexen said:

So, you saying people will get bored if they live forever. I'd rather be bored forever than died forever.;)

At what age do you start to live forever? If everything lives forever then there is no joy….

2 hours ago, Vexen said:

Forever.

I'm older than StringJunky and I'm with you on this. 

Apart from anything else, I want to see what happens with new theories that combine GR and QM, when we get to see a black hole close up, will we develop FTL space travel, what new technologies will we have in another 50 years ...

5 hours ago, zapatos said:

What makes you think your life will be enjoyable forever? Are you enjoying it now? Hanging out with your friends? What if you are poor, alone, and disease ridden for the next 100,000 years, and then the REALLY bad times start?

... and Trump's still President. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2019 at 7:27 PM, StringJunky said:

It calms me that one day I can just let go... It's the only thing that keeps me going; knowing that this life isn't forever... strange as it may seem. I used to take a lot of drugs to block out life, but now I take it full on and clear-headed  because I know it's only temporary. Funny thing is that I'm enjoying life a lot more.  :)

+1 but it still makes me want to fly over for a few Guinesses to slap that nonsense out of you :D 

On 3/2/2019 at 1:32 PM, Vexen said:

It would be nice.  It would also be nice to fly around like superman or be able to fold a fitted sheet.  Since all of these are impossible what is the point in wishing?

I know we will be revived again to be accounted, but the unknown events afterlife make me worried. I just know I have to take good actions along with to afterlife so that God be happy at me. The worst thing that a human can take along with is bad believes and bad actions.