Any hope for String Theory?

I am interested in studying physics and research in String Theory. String theory is interesting to me, but I've also read that there isn't any experimental support for the theory yet and many physicists doubt the theory. Still, the idea of unifying all particles into a single string and all forces into one force is appealing.

String theory implies supersymmetry. Evidence for supersymmetry has not been found so far and it is running out of places to "hide".

https://www.scienceforums.net/topic/118053-string-theory-cannot-describe-our-universe/

There are other theories that attempt to combine gravity and quantum theory. All currently untestable, but there may be more hope for them in the long run.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2019 at 2:42 PM, The Photon said:

I am interested in studying physics and research in String Theory. String theory is interesting to me, but I've also read that there isn't any experimental support for the theory yet and many physicists doubt the theory. Still, the idea of unifying all particles into a single string and all forces into one force is appealing.

Simply put, we lack the technological skills to observe at the quantum/Planck level. 

34 minutes ago, beecee said:

Simply put, we lack the technological skills to observe at the quantum/Planck level. 

Its worse than that, nature itself prevents us from running empirical experiments confirming string theory. A particle accelerator capable of creating energies needed to run collisions which could confirm string theory would take significant part of the solar system in size and would colapse into a black hole due to its mass.

Edited by koti

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2019 at 4:54 AM, koti said:

Its worse than that, nature itself prevents us from running empirical experiments confirming string theory. A particle accelerator capable of creating energies needed to run collisions which could confirm string theory would take significant part of the solar system in size and would colapse into a black hole due to its mass.

I watched a video today I think hosted by Sean Carroll where he spoke of a new particle model featuring supper symmetry and the intent of using higher energies when they  again start up the accelerator in effort to find the new particles. I was watching YouTube on my TV and the cable app essentially manages to show videos but beyond that isn't exactly easy to use, but I think it was an RI video an shouldn't be that hard to find if a search of that channel is conducted. Which is much easier to do from tablet.

I may have misunderstood but I got the impression that proving supper symmetry would go a long way toward supporting string theory. I'll see if I can find it.

Okay the video was actually put out in 2013 and I don't remember any mention of any of the things he hoped for so I'm the one learning the lesson here. Sorry. It was a cool video even if out dated. 

Watching the last ten minutes of the video then reading the Forbes article might help ease into acceptance?

Once again I'm embarrassed...

Edited by jajrussel