Can a person be hacked?

I’m not so quick to dismiss it. In a Brave New World / Aldous Huxley sort of way, technology and algorithms and social media and online gaming are all hacking our brains to some extent every day already. 

Also, depending on how one defines hack, religion has been hacking peoples minds for millennia. 

Edited by iNow

On 3/2/2019 at 3:00 AM, iNow said:

I’m not so quick to dismiss it. In a Brave New World / Aldous Huxley sort of way, technology and algorithms and social media and online gaming are all hacking our brains to some extent every day already. 

Also, depending on how one defines hack, religion has been hacking peoples minds for millennia. 

2 minutes ago, Itoero said:

If the person has a pacemaker.

I agree that the subject has wider implications. +1 apiece, though itoero may be off topic as the OP asked about brain hacks.

Though where the 'brain' ends and the rest oft he nervous system, including the control wiring for the heart begins is blurred to say the least.

Alos, as iNow says

What is a hack?

Can it be chemical as in the introduction of scopolamine or GDNF ?

How about putting rohipnol in someone's drink?

On 3/2/2019 at 3:00 AM, iNow said:

Indeed but not in the way the  OP asked.

20 minutes ago, studiot said:

I agree that the subject has wider implications.

I agree but not if we stay on topic.

Edited by dimreepr

I think the answer is still an obvious yes.

Raise a child tied up in a dungeon, or where the only feedback they receive is from Charles Manson, or where they’re only allowed to eat spiders they catch, etc. Their brain will be different from any other average Joe or Jane you meet on the street. 

Now, if you’ll excuse me I’m gonna go hack my brain with some strong coffee and again later with a hard workout. 

Edited by iNow

5 minutes ago, iNow said:

I think the answer is still an obvious yes.

On 3/1/2019 at 11:05 PM, QuantumT said:

Can our mind be hacked, like in The Manchurian Candidate?

about the son of a prominent U.S. political family who is brainwashed into being an unwitting assassin for a Communist conspiracy.

It could,  but not universaly.

On 3/2/2019 at 12:05 AM, QuantumT said:

How much can a human brain be "washed"? 

Some says "sky is the limit"..

There were hundreds of cases of people who played computer game, and when their player in the game died, they were desperate so much, that they committed suicide..

https://www.google.com/search?q=game+player+commits+suicide

I am not saying that the all games should be banned, criminalized, penalized, etc., absolutely no. As with everything, there must be healthy balance between different kind of activities.

Edited by Sensei