Henrys Law

Yashaswini

According to Henry's law, what quantity of air will dissolve under, the constant ambient temperature of 25°C, using 100 Cubic meter of fresh water ( not sea water )? 

All these water is kept in inside confined pressure vessel with a long pipe with constant air pressure being maintained using an air compressor and the same water is made to circulate constantly within inside the pressure vessel.

Now the question is how much gas going to dissolve in 100 cubic meters of water ( 1,00,000 Liters ) under the above circumstance and how much time is required to make an equilibrium state.

can somebody help me to solve this along with equation?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Yashaswini said:

According to Henry's law, what quantity of air will dissolve under, the constant ambient temperature of 25°C, using 100 Cubic meter of fresh water ( not sea water )? 

All these water is kept in inside confined pressure vessel with a long pipe with constant air pressure being maintained using an air compressor and the same water is made to circulate constantly within inside the pressure vessel.

Now the question is how much gas going to dissolve in 100 cubic meters of water ( 1,00,000 Liters ) under the above circumstance and how much time is required to make an equilibrium state.

can somebody help me to solve this along with equation?

Thanks in advance.

Would this be homework?

I don't have the Henry's law coefficients for 25oC, only for 20oC.

These are

For oxygen 2.95 x 107 mm

For nitrogen 5.75 x 107 mm

Do you have the 25oC ones?

• 2 months later...

When you use Henry's law it's implicit that you have dynamic equilibrium at the interface gas phase/liquid phase.

For a steady-state case I would do the following:

If you assume the air to behave as an ideal gas, you can find it's molar concentration in the gas phase by using the equation of state (ideal gas law). With this concentration, you use the Henry's law to find the concentration of air dissolved in your liquid water at the interface gas phase/liquid water phase. You can now apply a mass balance in the liquid water dormain where you just include both diffusive and convective flux terms to find the spatial distribution of dissolved air in your liquid water phase.

For a transient case, I would review the behaviour at gas/liquid interface and just add the transient term to the mass balance expression. 

Hope it helps.

Edited by Miguel_s