Dangerous politic climate

Ten oz

1 minute ago, iNow said:

It’s inherent in the response.

Ten Oz requested an equivalent example. Zap responded with his example. How could one possibly argue the intention was anything other than to claim equivalency?

Seems to be a bad faith question on your part, and to be clear... I’ve taken no side on whether or not I agree with either poster. 

He did not. In good faith you should see that.

7 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Where did he claim an equivalency? 

"A common way for this fallacy to be perpetuated is one shared trait between two subjects is assumed to show equivalence, especially in order of magnitude, when equivalence is not necessarily the logical result. False equivalence is a common result when an anecdotal similarity is pointed out as equal, but the claim of equivalence doesn't bear because the similarity is based on oversimplification or ignorance of additional factors."

"False equivalence arguments are often used in journalism and in politics, where the minor flaws of one candidate may be compared to major flaws of another."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence

55 minutes ago, Ten oz said:

"A common way for this fallacy to be perpetuated is one shared trait between two subjects is assumed to show equivalence, especially in order of magnitude, when equivalence is not necessarily the logical result. False equivalence is a common result when an anecdotal similarity is pointed out as equal, but the claim of equivalence doesn't bear because the similarity is based on oversimplification or ignorance of additional factors."

Zapatos can correct me, but it seems he has demonstrated that was not his intention, but to give you an example of something you claimed you could not recall while implying it is unlikely to exist.

14 hours ago, zapatos said:

You said you didn't recall an incident. I gave you one. Simple as that.

You should always concede what is obvious to all, otherwise people begin to question your motives.

54 minutes ago, iNow said:

Ten Oz requested an equivalent example.

No, he didn't. He didn't request anything.

Read the part I quoted. Read my response. He didn't say 

I don't recall any of Obama's supporters threatening to or attempting to murder Republicans during Obama's 2 terms WHERE OBAMA WAS THE MOTIVATING FACTOR AS EVIDENCED BY SAYING SO WHEN ARRESTED AND WEARING A HAT CLAIMING TO LOVE OBAMA AND NOT SIMPLY BY DONATING TO OBAMA'S CAMPAIGN.

This is just a case of Ten oz rejecting an example which may minimize his portrayal of the gulf between the Republicans as bad guys and Democrats as good guys.

My original response was simply intended to add some data missing from the conversation and Ten oz's knowledge. He turned it into another example of liberals claiming a superiority that is overblown.

1 hour ago, Ten oz said:

Being a supporter is a real time action...

Bullshit. I donate to my college once a year. Does that mean I'm only a supporter while I'm writing the check? Give me a break.

So you’re saying your example was of a similar / equivalent thing? He spoke of a Trump supporters threatening murder. You spoke of an Obama supporter doing same. What am I missing?

I was pushing back on the suggestion from that JCM that what you mentioned was somehow in a different category entirely, and was not commenting on you your exchange with TO

Actually, never mind. I don’t care. It’s a pointless quibble IMO

Edited by iNow

3 minutes ago, iNow said:

So you’re saying your example was of a similar / equivalent thing?

I'm saying it is an example of an Obama supporter threatening to kill a Republican. The thing which Ten oz said he couldn't recall, and the statement of his that I responded to.

The example was rejected because the person did not make his donation to Obama's campaign in real time as he was making the threat.