is glory a thing and is there any of it in war.

peterwlocke

• 4 months later...

Its a social construct, thus the question of whether there is any in war boils down to what the culture of the considered side is like, or both in some cases. But generally i doubt its something that manifests in all societies. On the other hand there may be analogous of glory in other cultures that are just very similiar to the western concept. Maybe you could be more specific, things are just very open ended otherwise.

• 2 months later...

Many generals sought the glory of winning for Rome or the glory of winning for themselves in the ancient world. To find out which ones you have to read what they said and judge for yourself because glory isn't a tangible thing nor given a medal. You could tell usually through the nature of the conflict, which was usually more hate fuelled than the product of meandering with pride over one's superior militaristic clout. Glory is a sort of righteous and haughty pride.

Modern generals aren't much of the glory seeking type and the closest thing to glory in modern battle that I could think of was Normandy beach as it was a hard brutal battle that took some real military muscle to overcome. Winning that battle must've filled the general and his soldiers with a sense of glory.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no glory in war. It's just an expensive way of providing complete control over an opponent. But I'm just a child. My opinion may be biased. I've never been on a battleground myself, but for an aspiring weapons engineer, I need to understand my field, and observing threads like this will help towards that goal. So please, continue