Hazards of PVC

gisburnuk

PVC is a vary versatile material that has similar properties to rubber, but unfortunatley PVC plastic is also hazardous to people from which it is known to produce dioxins and pthlates.

This is a touchy subject because PVC has a vary unique property that enables it to be used in many different ways, and yet it is also known to be hazardous from exposure either at work or through inproper use.

I'm a little worried because I beleive I may have been exposed to Vinyl chloride through inproper disposal. Last week a neirghbour was burning a heap of rubbish in his garden and when I approached him I realised he was also burning bits of PVC window frames. I became disturbed and lashed out at him implying that he was in danger of intoxicating other people through his foolish behaviour. I grew more worried by the fact that I had been exposed heavily to the toxins that could well give me brain cancer.

I am very young with big plans for my future and this recent event has made me increasingly worried.

Should I be concerned from this recent event?

What actions are being taken to safen the use and disposal of PVC?

the gasses liberated in PVC combustion in free air will be HCL (hydrochloric acid when it hits atmospheric moisture) and CO2 (carbon dioxide).

non of which are carcinogenic, you MAY get a little chest discomfort for a day if you inhale this from a distance, but NOTHING to give you "Brain cancer" :)

you may sleep easily :)

Like all things, if it's a long term exposure then you have problems. One short term exposure isn't going to do much of anything. The real problem with PVC is constant, daily exposure to the burning of it. If you lived next to a factory that routinely burned PVC, then it could be a problem. Your next door neighbor burning some PVC will increase your risk of getting cancer about as much as spending a day at the beach will.