Media Bias

Nod2003

47 minutes ago, Nod2003 said:

The right, and especially Pres Trump, constantly are claiming media bias, supposedly supporting the left.  Have there been any independent studies on whether that bias actually exists?

bias always exists, right or left.

59 minutes ago, Nod2003 said:

The right, and especially Pres Trump, constantly are claiming media bias, supposedly supporting the left.  Have there been any independent studies on whether that bias actually exists?

People have options when it comes to media. Individuals pick and choose which media to consume. Those who complain about bias simply need to be smarter about which media they select. 

Nice to see my favourite, Reuters, being rated pretty neutral. I thought the BBC was neutral until I started reading that one

3 hours ago, Strange said:

Yeah, but they would say that.

It must be reasonably accurate though, as they have placed the Daily Mail in the red box... Although it should be in the "contains inaccurate/fabricated info" section.

You can cross-reference with this media bias comparison site... the above chart  seems reasonable.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com

5 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

Reality is filtered through ones brain. Similar to the way some those who believe they have seen ghosts or UFOs are persuaded by emotional weight of those experience so too are many people persuaded by their emotional connection to various types of media. A crime statistic is cold comfort to a frightened person alone at home who has the itching suspicion thugs are coming to get them. It is the adult version of there being a monster under the bed. Knowing the truth doesn't change the emotional state. 

I myself do not have cable TV. I do not watch cable. When I visit my grandmother in-law she has cable going all day. It always amazes me how dread inducing it is. Every commercial is for some type of home invasion deterrent. Commercial after commercial shows fictional home invasions. The advertisers know their demo and get after them with all the fear inducing zeal possible. It isn't all home invasion either. There are also numerous political ads claiming Soc Sec will be gone  in a few years, medicare in bankrupt, Taxes on companies is causing business to leave the country, and etc. 

Facts don't have hype men. Facts aren't purchasing air time. If most people spend the whole day hearing that monsters are on the loose and under every bed they are going to have a quick peak before they go to sleep even if they intellectually know better.