What do you think about flatearthers?

Artur

I am giving away my book about 23 proofs of a flat earth.

You can read it here on kindle SPAM LINK REMOVED

I want to start a discussion on why you think the earth is round?

I am 100% sure that the earth is flat and I have written my thoughts in this book.

Edited by Strange
Deleted link

!

Moderator Note

If you want discuss your idea, do it here

21 minutes ago, Artur said:

!

Moderator Note

You need to provide evidence for your beliefs/delusions. There is no requirement for others to explain reality to you. 

20 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

If you post your arguments here then we can discuss them.

If they really give away an actual paperback book, then I would be more happy to receive that, in lieu of reading everything here :rolleyes:.

Edit. I see now that the paperback version is still $9.85 at Amazon. I was hoping to save a bit more <_< . Oh, it does say kindle, my mistake :ph34r:.

Edited by taeto
Adding new info

3 hours ago, Artur said:

You can read it here on kindle

I am 100% sure that the earth is flat and I have written my thoughts in this book.

You do realize Terry Pratchett was joking?

Edited by Strange
Spam link deleted

If you want a free digital copy you can get it.
How to Convince Your Stupid Friend That Earth Is Flat: 23 flat earth proofs, funny gift for birthday
But If I recall correctly, the rules of the forum state that the discussion has to be possible without having to go to some other site.

So, until someone posts the argument here, we can't discuss it.

And I think it would be a breach of copyright for anyone but the OP to post it.

7 hours ago, Artur said:

You can read it here on kindle SPAM LINK REMOVED

I have read many books...including one by Eric J Lerner, entitled "The Big Bang Never Happened"  and another about the "Bermuda Triangle" by Charles Berlitz. Both books and the reasons and thoughts behind them, have been entirely dismissed and shown to be fabricated nonsense in most cases.

If you gave me your book though, I would actually burn it, as the evidence for an oblate spherical Earth is beyond question in this day and age of man made Satellites and 8 trips to the Moon. Anyone who puts any credence in any claim of the Earth being flat, should be avoided at all costs, as a charlatan and fool. 

Edited by beecee

Most flat earthers gain their evidence from charlatans on youtube.
Those videos mix facts with disinformation in the same way that countless conspiracy theories (like 9/11) are presented.

Most enlightened people don't need (more) proof that the earth is a sphere, but here's a few for the resident FE's:

1: According to FE, Siberia (RU) and Alaska (US) are the furthest apart, but for satelites and people on the ground, they are neighbors.
2: A radio tower can successfully broadcast 60 miles away, so any plane crossing the oceans should lose contact after that. Due to satelites they do not.
3: Traces from the Apollo missions to the moon are visible with good telescopes.
4: When you stand on the beach, and a ship disappears under the horizon, you can climb a high cliff and be able to see it again.
5: If you drive 1000 miles straight forward, turn right 90 degr. and drive 1000 more, repeat once more, and you end where you started. Although you drove a  route that seems square and incomplete.
6: Even the old Greeks figured out more than 2500 years ago, that the spherical shadow on the crescent (moon) is earth itself.
7. If you call Australia from England at 15.00 (3 pm), they might get grumpy because you wake them up in the middle of the night.

And many many more...

Edited by QuantumT

8 minutes ago, Endy0816 said:

Hope to go round the whole Earth eventually but have already been across where the Pacific rim would be.

I have flown all the way round the Earth. So I guess I must be part of the conspiracy. I wish they paid better.

9 hours ago, Artur said:

You’re overcharging.

This is science. It is not enough to have items that support your assertion. It needs to be testable, and (in principle) falsifiable. We need to entertain discussion on why the idea of a flat earth fails, in terms of predictions the model makes. IOW, it’s not your list that matters. For a flat earth, for starters, 

What happens to the sun at night? Why is it dark in half the world? Why doesn’t Australia see the same stars as in North America/Europe? Why does the moon orbit the earth?

Keep in mind you don’t get to introduce new physics. 

I think the best proof of a round Earth to a layman is the fact that the angular height of the north star is your geographical latitude. Do a little traveling and look at the night sky and you can prove to yourself that the Earth is round. The angle of the north star in relation to the "flat" ground is different for people that are further north.

I can't imagine how a flat earther would try to explain gravity.

14 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

If you post your arguments here then we can discuss them. 

I'd like to hear his ideas out of curiosity but I wonder if he'll be back.

5 hours ago, swansont said:

You’re overcharging.

This is science. It is not enough to have items that support your assertion. It needs to be testable, and (in principle) falsifiable. We need to entertain discussion on why the idea of a flat earth fails, in terms of predictions the model makes. IOW, it’s not your list that matters. For a flat earth, for starters, 

What happens to the sun at night? Why is it dark in half the world? Why doesn’t Australia see the same stars as in North America/Europe? Why does the moon orbit the earth?

Keep in mind you don’t get to introduce new physics. 

Lets add why don't the oceans drain away over the edge ?

I had a teacher who claimed he was a member of the flat earth society back in the seventies. He was our history prof in grade eight so it was fair game for him. You could tell didn't believe it, but he would not admit it. He would admit you had a good argument based on what you had been taught, and deflect to another angle. My understanding at that time was it was a game, and good to argue either side, which of course we started to do. The game in part became how long you could maintain you were serious.

24 minutes ago, Mordred said:

Lets add why don't the oceans drain away over the edge ?

image.png.0f172f9b8dac76877f5c70172af8a67b.png

If they didn't drain, we'd be in big trouble. Do you not realize how much rain falls on the oceans each day?

(and let's not get started on that equal evaporation myth)

etc. etc. All in fun.