Learning outside of college

Notional

Now, I'm not sure if anyone has tried to compile such a list, but I'd like to suggest a joint effort to compile a collection of several books, resources, websites and the like, that allow you to learn about all sorts of things.

I think I'm not alone here when I say I want to learn a MILLION things, but I don't want to get 30 different degrees. I want to study, and research and learn and experiment, but without having to pay thousands of dollars in tuition. 

I'm looking for things like khanacademy or Udemy. Youtube channels like Crash Course. Good books like the ones they usually have us buy for college. A compilation made by learners, for learners. I was surprised to not find this as a sticky on this subforum. Should we make it a sticky?

Thank you.

I think it is an interesting idea, however for my personal discipline (Human biology > cell/molecular biology) I learned everything through reading wikipedia (during undergrad) and then reading reviews + articles. With the exception of Kandel's "Principles of neural science", I haven't found any book I would recommend over just searching on the internet; I notice that books (for the sake of making it easy to understand for students) will rarely mention the unknowns, exceptions or further reading, while when you read on the internet you come across more and more in depth information which can make you easily confused in the beginning (but is also way more interesting than the cookie cutter book stuff, in my opinion).

The same goes for Kandel's book, however I found that book to be an amazing starting off point for further learning (with a lot of interesting "facts/fluff" which lead me to read up on a lot of different interesting topics). 

I will think of some sources I found very interesting or useful, there are definetly some!

-Dagl

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2019 at 12:31 PM, Notional said:

Now, I'm not sure if anyone has tried to compile such a list, but I'd like to suggest a joint effort to compile a collection of several books, resources, websites and the like, that allow you to learn about all sorts of things.

I think I'm not alone here when I say I want to learn a MILLION things, but I don't want to get 30 different degrees. I want to study, and research and learn and experiment, but without having to pay thousands of dollars in tuition. 

I'm looking for things like khanacademy or Udemy. Youtube channels like Crash Course. Good books like the ones they usually have us buy for college. A compilation made by learners, for learners. I was surprised to not find this as a sticky on this subforum. Should we make it a sticky?

Thank you.

What kind of platform you plan on running if you do? Something like torrent or like a library online type of thing? Or site that is library with a lot of links of free course along with books online?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2019 at 5:41 AM, Scotty2002 said:

What kind of platform you plan on running if you do? Something like torrent or like a library online type of thing? Or site that is library with a lot of links of free course along with books online?

Well it depends on how large it becomes. I guess posting some well-formatted links in the OP would be alright, this might become a sticky. If it becomes too big I think making a free website would do the trick.

I wonder if I could make a wiki page about it, in fact.

Edited by Notional

• 6 months later...
On 2/13/2019 at 7:31 PM, Notional said:

Wikipedia..

C/C++ programming https://en.cppreference.com/w/

Windows OS programming, C# programming, .NET Framework http://www.msdn.com

Android OS programming https://developer.android.com/