why do people/you bleave in the bible but refute scientific evidance

peterwlocke

21 minutes ago, peterwlocke said:

call me naive but some people believe in an old book but don't believe in recent scientific discoveries with something to back it up. I know it could have been indoctrinated as a child but still.

Yes that certainly as many of us were, including myself. As many of us mature though, it becomes obvious that some obscure book, written by obscure men, in an obscure age, is nothing more then a book of fairy tales.

Just now, peterwlocke said:

yah, also how can people still believe in after the church has done so much bad stuff.

Religious people are typically unaware of the all evil things done. Starting from burning of "witches" and "warlocks" by inquisition, and murdering innocent people ("pagans") when they did not want to change their faith.. the earliest Christians spread their faith with love and acts of good.. later something went wrong on mass scale...

Our brain needs a paradigm. A common narrative that makes sense and is shared by it's peers. The brain does not care if the paradigm is good or bad when we are young, because good and bad are still obscure concepts.
When we get older and learn more, we either choose to reinforce the narrative by confirmation bias, or we break it, and find our own paradigm.

I had a brief period when I was very young, where I got involved with evangelists. They even taught me confirmation bias by observing them. But it didn't last. My brain eventually refused to accept the paradigm.

Edited by QuantumT

20 hours ago, peterwlocke said:

yah, also how can people still believe in after the church has done so much bad stuff.

'The Church' and people who follow it are not God and not perfect. If you believe the bible then there will forces at work to discredit it. Wise men to speak against it and distractions that pull you away from 'the truth'.  The 'evils' done in the name of the church would be explained away as the devil trying to show the church up to be bad so that you'd turn away from it  -  a devil's trick. Also - at the end of it all we have  'who knows the mind of the lord'... as if that covers everything  -  don't ask about what you cannot possibly understand. Everything is explainable if you take the leap of faith and accept a holy war between good and evil.

-   I know, it is a total cop out, but that's about all they've got.  The gaps are shrinking.   ;-)

7 minutes ago, peterwlocke said:

huh, gullible. 

Maybe - but hard to prove against.  What can you argue against 'well God has the explanation and we cannot comprehend his ways'? or 'the devil is trying to destroy the church'? 

• ydoaPs locked this topic