Testing on potentially self aware monkeys...

Royston

Please take a look at the following link...

http://www.news.com.au/story/0%2C10117%2C15891104-13762%2C00.html

Why do they want to know if human brain cells will make a monkey self aware ?

I can't really see the advantages in the experiment other than to make PG Tips rethink their ad campaign.

What do you think, is this immoral, or can anyone see the benefits of this type of experiment outweighing the ethical implications ?

Does nobody care about the poor monkeys, they have feelings too...or they will have. wea wea wea wea (Amityville violin screech).

Can anybody tell me the real benefits of this research, and if so does it justify creating and testing on a self aware subject ?

I know it's possible to do product testing...pharmaceuticals / cosmetics et.c I heard a few people participated at my friends uni when they were broke. I think you get paid a hell of a lot for necking a pill and lying in bed for a few days while they see if there are any immediate side effects.

I guess if it's a matter of choice then it seems more ethical...however the monkey's concerned certainly have no choice with the tests they'll be subjected to...albeit whether they're harmful or not.

I won't comment on whether this is ethical or not but I think the research is suppose to give us insight into how sentience and human intelligence developed and how it is created in the human brain.

I guess the transition from apes to humans has plagued scientists so much for so long, that they feel it's justified to run such experiments...maybe, I'm just guessing.

It's really not so much about sentience as it is architectural and developmental experiments and the chance of creating a human-monkey is really vanishingly small. And anybody that has a problem with experimenting on sentient beings should have a problem with experimenting on chimpanzees to begin with.

I find myself repeating old warnings.To play god may be a nice intellectual exercise and show how smart we are.But seriously they dont think.

We all know what happens /monkey mam has undetected virus/human genes injected into fetus/virus mutates into cross species super bug/monkey bites scientist who sneaks home not wanting to get sacked...develops cough and decides to have holiday in paris/global infection almost all are wiped out.

Have we not got enough to worry about heck When the BSE kicks in, in another 10 years together with drug resistant HIV were doomed.....doomed i tell you

I find myself repeating old warnings.To play god may be a nice intellectual exercise and show how smart we are.But seriously they dont think.

We all know what happens /monkey mam has undetected virus/human genes injected into fetus/virus mutates into cross species super bug/monkey bites scientist who sneaks home not wanting to get sacked...develops cough and decides to have holiday in paris/global infection almost all are wiped out.

I wouldn't worry about it. We all know those stories have happy endings. The girl gets the guy, the evil corrupt scientist/politician get infected and we all laugh at him, and Truth, Justice and The American Way win out over adversity.

Then it's made into a feature film and flops at the Box Office.