I just need help with a tough math question for calculus - are you up for the challenge? SERIOUS ANSWERS only please

nickm538

Mike needs help for his anxiety. His doctor gives him an RX is for Xanax (please don't lecture on me on safety, I am already aware. PLEASE don't say I need help or mock me, I have heard it all and it's not for me, its for a friend/family member ). 

The scenario/question is: " Mike received a prescription BOTTLE 1 for (lets say) a placebo . Each placebo is 2mg and the bottle has 100 pills. Ok fine it's Xanax/Alprazolam.  

Bottle 1:  

UPC: 46 
Case Volume: 548.2 LB 
Case Weight: 5.35 LB 
Bottle weight: 0.11 LB 
(case per pellet 120lb) 

The scenario/question for BOTTLE 2  
is: " Mike received a prescription bottle in for (lets say) THE SAME placebo bill . Each placebo is STILL 2mg and the same pill (xanax), but this bottle has 500 pills, snd so dimensions are different. 

UPC: 24  
Case Volume: 855.0 LB 
Case Weight: 9.55 LB 
Bottle weight: 0.40 LB 
(case per pellet 77lb) 

QUESTION: I would like to know the weight (in pounds or kg) of each individual GREENSTONE Aplrazolam 2mg pill.  

** (disclaimer this is not from me) (all pills pharmo grade). **

56 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Does it matter?

I think what Sensei means is that volume is measured in liters, mass is measured in kilograms or pounds. A liter  of oil will weigh more than a liter of water.

Edited by koti

I'll give it a try.

3 hours ago, nickm538 said:

QUESTION: I would like to know the weight (in pounds or kg) of each individual ... pill.

(brand name removed)

Removing info that seems unnecessary gives the following:
100 pill bottle: 0.11 lb
500 pill bottle: 0.40 lb
Using calculus or not, I think more information is needed to answer the question:

bottle has 500 pills, snd so dimensions are different. 

Had the bottles been identical, just filled with different number of pills and the bottle weights are filled bottles then the calculation would be possible and easy.

Some notes:

2 hours ago, nickm538 said:

UPC: 46 
Case Volume: 548.2 LB 
Case Weight: 5.35 LB 
Bottle weight: 0.11 LB 
(case per pellet 120lb) 

What is UPC? (Universal Product Code is not 2 digits)
Why does volume of case matter? Why LB as @Sensei already noted?
What is a case? 
Is the case empty? Does the case matter?
Is the bottle empty or filled?
Why is case per pellet measured in lb?
what is pellet? (pallet misspelled?) does pellets matter?

QUESTION: I would like to know the weight (in pounds or kg) of each individual GREENSTONE Aplrazolam 2mg pill

You don't provide enough information to work this out.

Why not just weigh them?

Or ring/write them and ask.

Or ask the pharmacy to weigh them.

4 minutes ago, Carrock said:

Each individual 2mg pill weighs 0.000002Kg. Or am I missing something?

IMO 2mg is the weight of the active ingredient and the OP wants to calculate the total weight of the pill, which will have been mixed with binders etc.

Strange’s suggestion seems a good idea - get some scales or ask  pharmacy to weigh them.

8 minutes ago, Carrock said:

Each individual 2mg pill weighs 0.000002Kg. Or am I missing something? 

The 2mg is the mass (not weight) of active ingredient in a pill, not the mass of the pill.

When measuring pharmaceutical amounts the difference between mass and weight and bouyancy in air can become important.

I agree with others, there is insufficient information and the whole question is clouded in extraneous detail, some of which is conradictory.

I would further observe that a proper trial would never supply the placebo and actual pills differently as apppears here.
Otherwise it would be possible to distinguish simply from these differences alone.

31 minutes ago, studiot said:

I would further observe that a proper trial would never supply the placebo and actual pills differently as apppears here.

I don't see where it says that the placebo and the drug are different. The OP seems to be just throwing the word placebo in for no apparent reason ("Each placebo is .. Ok fine it's Xanax") as with most of the other information supplied.

And "Each placebo is 2mg" makes no sense. 

22 minutes ago, Strange said:

I don't see where it says that the placebo and the drug are different. The OP seems to be just throwing the word placebo in for no apparent reason ("Each placebo is .. Ok fine it's Xanax") as with most of the other information supplied.

And "Each placebo is 2mg" makes no sense. 

Exactly, a fine example.

57 minutes ago, studiot said:

I agree with others, there is insufficient information and the whole question is clouded in extraneous detail, some of which is conradictory.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.