Tough polymers...

Externet

29 minutes ago, Externet said:

Exploring applications for tires and more; electric vehicle magnets research motor...

Perhaps you are lucky catching the next broadcast :

Awesome  -  I didn't get time to do more than glance.  I did not see any info regarding structure.   Do you know what is different about these polymers in terms of structure or chemical changes from traditional polymers?

Are these similar to the new organo-metallic polymer frameworks that I read about last year sometime?  They were polymers blended with metal ligands that formed part of the polymer network. How do these 'tough' polymers work?

It is explained in the program, as an structural analogy to rings in a string with capped ends.  Well over my understanding, but for those in the field, may be clear. 

Try to catch next broadcasting/streaming. At this moment, will air in 15 minutesimage.png.e5fa267c1919ec7dcbdb4caa8391e08b.png

Edited by Externet

9 hours ago, Externet said:

rings in a string with capped ends.  Well over my understanding, but for those in the field, may be clear. 

I got time to watch the vid in the end.  It is polyrotaxane made from cyclodextrin and polyethyleneglycol with something capping the chain ends.  The cyclodextrin is hydrophobic in the middle of the ring and hydrophilic on the outside. When dispersed in water the rings thread themselves onto the glycol chain as the internal rings have a better affinity for the chain than the water. The chain ends are blocked with something called adamantine to stop the rings from slipping off when the polymer is dried.

I guess then that the 'beads' on the chain catch and move as the polymer is given stress giving it more strength..(?)  rather than slipping over each other and unravelling if it had no beads.   (imagine a tangle of string....  if each piece of string was threaded through a load of beads it would make it a lot harder to unpick the mess).  10 bits of jumbled string would be easier to unpick than 10 pearl threaded bits of string jumbled in the same way and pulled just as tight.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.