Question

ALine

36 minutes ago, ALine said:

so would it play some factor in the development if an individuals personality, or does it have no connection to it what so ever?

‘A combination of the objects that the individual found pleasing’ 

Seriously? What does this even mean in relation to personality?

33 minutes ago, nevim said:

A combination of the objects that the individual found pleasing’ 

Seriously? What does this even mean in relation to personality?

I am sorry for not clarifying myself. Object as being any observed thing inside of a person's surroundings. 

Like if I see a cat and I grew very fond of that cat and learned its behaviors from observations. Then I may integrate those behaviors into my psyche as being apart of my personality.

I also just watch some videos on the personality and just from that I can see idea is incorrect and does not line up with other developed theories/hypothesis on the matter of personality growth and development.

4 minutes ago, ALine said:

I am sorry for not clarifying myself. Object as being any observed thing inside of a person's surroundings. 

Like if I see a cat and I grew very fond of that cat and learned its behaviors from observations. Then I may integrate those behaviors into my psyche as being apart of my personality.

I also just watch some videos on the personality and just from that I can see idea is incorrect and does not line up with other developed theories/hypothesis on the matter of personality growth and development.

So you might kill a mouse and leave it on the doorstep? Cruise people's backyards at night? Walk across the kitchen counter? 

Very strange question you have.

9 hours ago, ALine said:

I find it is often a good idea to learn about things by studying, rather than just making stuff up based on total ignorance.

23 hours ago, ALine said:

Is an individuals personality just a combination of objects that the individual found pleasing?

Easy enough to test. Raise some children without the typical objects around and see if they still have a personality. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2019 at 8:56 PM, Phi for All said:

Easy enough to test. Raise some children without the typical objects around and see if they still have a personality. 

Just out of curiosity, how do you picture a lack of personality? And wouldn't that be a personality in itself? 

Also, even if you remove "typical objects" from the child's environment, there will always be other objects around which to create a personality (I'm not advocating the notion).

1 minute ago, Notional said:

Just out of curiosity, how do you picture a lack of personality? And wouldn't that be a personality in itself? 

I'd keep it simple. I'd look for an absence of what we typically describe as a personality.

Is bald a hair color, or a lack of hair? Does this mean I have a tattoo because a lack of them is a tattoo in itself? You'd have to redefine "lack" and "absence" to have them be something different wrt personality. Or redefine "personality" so that a lack of one isn't actually not having a recognizable one. 

I think any reaction to stimuli outside that required by our physiology is possible evidence of personality. It doesn't require pleasing objects. If I tap someone's patellar tendon and get a knee jerk, it's practically a mandatory response, but if they smile or frown or draw back or scream after I do it shows me a distinct individual is behind the reactions to the response. 

9 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

I'd keep it simple. I'd look for an absence of what we typically describe as a personality.

Is bald a hair color, or a lack of hair? Does this mean I have a tattoo because a lack of them is a tattoo in itself? You'd have to redefine "lack" and "absence" to have them be something different wrt personality. Or redefine "personality" so that a lack of one isn't actually not having a recognizable one. 

I think any reaction to stimuli outside that required by our physiology is possible evidence of personality. It doesn't require pleasing objects. If I tap someone's patellar tendon and get a knee jerk, it's practically a mandatory response, but if they smile or frown or draw back or scream after I do it shows me a distinct individual is behind the reactions to the response. 

Well put.