Bill Maher Vs Ann Coulter [debunking wall arguments]

Airbrush

The Trump concept of a “border wall” seems like the center of interest for Ann Coulter.  She is in favor of a “wall” at all costs.

When Bill Maher interviewed Coulter last Friday, she opened by blasting the president for folding on his wall campaign promise, “Look, it’s crazy that I expect a president to keep a promise [for a wall] he made every day for 18 months.”

“So, let me get this straight,” Maher asked, “You were convinced that Donald Trump was the guy. You voted for him and now you’re finding out he’s a lying conman. What was your first clue?”

Ann Coulter (AC):  “OK, I’m a very stupid girl, fine.  But [the wall] was actually a selling point…Look we’ve been lied to over an over again by respectable politicians [on the left and right, so lying is not such a bad thing] that they’re going to protect your jobs…This ‘build the wall’ thing has become like ‘crooked Hillary’ or ‘lock her up’ [building the wall] isn’t that.  You’re being played.  This is as Bernie Sanders said a Koch brothers idea.  The Koch brothers want it [lots of cheap illegal labor] pouring into this country.  That's good for employers, not good for employees…Rupert Murdoch wants [illegals]… Why hasn’t Trump been able to get [the wall] through for the first two years?  Because the Republicans don’t want [the wall]… it’s our legal immigration, it’s no E-Verify. The wall is a big part of that, and you’re being played to have everyone keep acting like this is some racist thing.”

Bill Maher (BM): “But the wall will not stop that”

AC:  Of course it will

BM: Of course it won’t…[Most illegals] come on planes and overstay their visas

AC:  That is absolutely not true!  If walls don’t work tell that to Netenyahu

BM:  That’s a different thing

AC:  That’s not a different thing at all

BM:  …My gardener has never tried to blow me up

AC:  That’s not true

Bill confronts her about Trump’s constant, compulsive lying about all things big or small.  Trump is not f****** sane.  He convinces himself of his own reality.   Coulter’s reaction is just to laugh it off.

AC:  Oh, he’s so course and vulgar, he makes things up.  I went into this fully clear-eyed.  Again, we liked that about him

BM:  You like someone who doesn’t live in reality?

AC:  We thought he wouldn’t care what the elites thought and he would actually keep his promise [for the wall].  Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer and Obama said over and over that we need a barrier on the border.  But no, let’s suck up to wall street…they want cheap nannies.  All of you are being screwed

BM:  Trump said he knows more about technology that anybody.  This is an insane person.

AC:  No, I find his puffery really charming.  He said he has the best words, he is the most Christian person, he is more presidential than Lincoln.  I could go on and on.  He makes me laugh.  That’s fine.  I like that about him.  Just keep his promise and I am right back in his camp.

Bill Maher confronted her about Trump’s constant lying about Russia.

AC:    I don’t think we know any of this…and I don’t think it matters.  Hillary Clinton paid $30,000 to Russian officials to get dirt on Trump ((anyone know about this?))  Bill said he missed that story.  She said it is the whole Fusion GPS story.   Clinton paid that to get Russian dirt on Trump.   If Clinton is walking around having malts (??? Sounds like she said “malts” anyone know what she said?) then I really don’t want to hear about Trump having a ??? (unintelligible, does anyone know what she said?) to distract you.

BM:  Clinton wasn’t working with Russia.  Trump is working for Russia.

AC:  There is no evidence.  This is so insane.  Would you move off Russia?  Do you want to get Trump?  He promised [the wall] for 18 months and he lied about it.  That’s how you get Trump.  Not this Russian nonsense.  You are so wasting time.

When asked what Ronald Reagan would think about Trump cozying up to Russia.  She replied:

AC:    Reagan would say “I won the cold war.  What is with these lunatics?  It’s not the Soviet Union anymore….We are not living under the threat of nuclear annihilation.  It is over.  Russia is just a corrupt country.  It is not as corrupt as Saudi Arabia….I am telling Trump to back off of Venezuela and he should care more about [a border wall for] California, Arizona, and Texas.

This reinforces my belief that 1/3 of Americans think Trump is CUTE!  Here the interview for yourself and tell me what you think.

It's telling how so-called constitutionalists invoke Hillary Clinton as though it's okay for Trump to commit crimes in reality, because Hillary did it in their imaginations

36 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

Bill Maher confronted her about Trump’s constant lying about Russia.

AC:    I don’t think we know any of this…and I don’t think it matters.  Hillary Clinton paid $30,000 to Russian officials to get dirt on Trump ((anyone know about this?))  Bill said he missed that story.  She said it is the whole Fusion GPS story.   Clinton paid that to get Russian dirt on Trump.   If Clinton is walking around having malts (??? Sounds like she said “malts” anyone know what she said?) then I really don’t want to hear about Trump having a ??? (unintelligible, does anyone know what she said?) to distract you.

BM:  Clinton wasn’t working with Russia.  Trump is working for Russia.

AC:  There is no evidence.  This is so insane.  Would you move off Russia?  Do you want to get Trump?  He promised [the wall] for 18 months and he lied about it.  That’s how you get Trump.  Not this Russian nonsense.  You are so wasting time.

Wasn't the Steel Dossier commissioned by Republicans to get opposition research on Trump, but acquired after the fact by the DNC because it had dirt on Trump?

25 minutes ago, swansont said:
!

Moderator Note

Coulter’s claims are largely fiction. What are we discussing here?

Debating style perhaps?

Indeed, Coulter is extreme in her views and outrageous in her statements. Maher, although decidedly liberal is centrist and articulates in common sense terms.

We are discussing how Trump's fiction is acceptable to 1/3 of Americans.  Ann Coulter is Trump's advisor and a spokesperson of the Trump followers.  I am trying to discredit the idea that "Trump's wall" will solve border problems.  This is intended to analyze her arguments to discredit them.  She says a lot and gets away with a lot.  Her arguments are not adequately discredited.  Bill Maher could not address ALL Coulter's fiction.  She, along with 1/3 of Americans, think:  (1) Trump is cute.  (2) Russia doesn't matter.  (3) The "wall" is the most important issue, and the US shuts down again in a couple weeks without the "wall."

Edited by Airbrush

7 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

We are discussing how Trump's "fictional" version of reality is acceptable to 1/3 of Americans. 

Sadly I think it is more like 2/5 of the U.S..

9 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

Ann Coulter is Trump's advisor and a spokesperson of the Trump followers. 

I doubt this. Trump and his supporters are aware of Coulter but she is not more important to them than are most FoxNews pundits. 

11 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

I am trying to discredit the idea that "Trump's wall" will solve border problems.  This is intended to analyze her arguments to discredit them.

There is already a thread addressing border security. 

53 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

We are discussing how Trump's fiction is acceptable to 1/3 of Americans.  Ann Coulter is Trump's advisor and a spokesperson of the Trump followers.  I am trying to discredit the idea that "Trump's wall" will solve border problems. 

!

Moderator Note

One or the other, in any thread

53 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

This is intended to analyze her arguments to discredit them.  She says a lot and gets away with a lot.  Her arguments are not adequately discredited.  Bill Maher could not address ALL Coulter's fiction.  She, along with 1/3 of Americans, think:  (1) Trump is cute.  (2) Russia doesn't matter.  (3) The "wall" is the most important issue, and the US shuts down again in a couple weeks without the "wall."

!

Moderator Note

OK, discrediting Coulter’s arguments for the wall. That’s the topic of this thread.

5 hours ago, Ten oz said:

Sadly I think it is more like 2/5 of the U.S..

I doubt this. Trump and his supporters are aware of Coulter but she is not more important to them than are most Fox News pundits. 

There is already a thread addressing border security. 

The 10-minute Coulter interview is a microcosm for the big "wall-shutdown-mess."  The issue cannot be overstated.  Know thy enemy.  The US govt was shut down for over a month because of disagreement about Trump's "wall."  If Coulter's arguments in favor of the wall are all the "facts" they have, then the US govt will be shut down again over a delusion!

2/5 of the US approve of Trump, but only 1/3 like his personality, celebrity, looks, and brash, confrontational act (like Coulter they think he's cute).  Coulter echoes the Trump base in what they like.  Coulter said:  "I find his puffery really charming.....He makes me laugh.  That’s fine.  I like that about him."  Remember she wrote the book "In Trump We Trust."

Coulter was at the top of the list of cable news reporting about the Trump backlash for caving on his wall, and she was extra blunt about it

Anyone know what she is referring to by "Hillary Clinton paid $30,000 to Russian officials" for dirt on Trump?

What did she say here:  "If Clinton is walking around having malts(???)... then I really don’t want to hear about Trump having a ??? [unintelligible, does anyone know what she said?]."

Her advice to us for getting rid of Trump is to focus on his lie about building the "wall" which is unacceptable to his base.  His base wants him to keep fighting for his wall.  They will throw him out for not trying hard enough for his wall.

Edited by Airbrush

20 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

The 10-minute Coulter interview is a microcosm for the big "wall-shutdown-mess."  The issue cannot be overstated.  Know thy enemy.  The US govt was shut down for over a month because of disagreement about Trump's "wall."  If Coulter's arguments in favor of the wall are all the "facts" they have, then the US govt will be shut down again over a delusion!

I don't believe Trump cares about a Wall. He was thirsty for a distraction. The house just switched hands on the 3rd and all anyone was talking about was the shutdown. Trump's goal was achieved. He loves to be the focal point of attention. Even as positions like Attorney General, Chief of Staff, and Sec of Defense remain empty Trump is tweeting about his Wall and climate hoax theory. 

26 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

Her advice to us for getting rid of Trump is to focus on his lie about building the "wall" which is unacceptable to his base.  His base wants him to keep fighting for his wall.  They will throw him out for not trying hard enough for his wall.

His base has proven themselves to be very loyal. They won't split with him over this issue in my opinion. 

Trump lost the popular vote. Rather than trying to flip Trump voters (not happening) Democrats should focus on boosting turnout among likely Democrat voters. 

Can't comment on her views because I don't agree with them, so I'll comment on her appearance...
She's not a bad looking woman, but those are the skinniest legs I've ever seen.
Either wear pants instead of short skirts, or eat something.

Is that sexist ?
( yes, I know it is, I'm in a whimsical today )

Edited by MigL

47 minutes ago, MigL said:

Can't comment on her views because I don't agree with them, so I'll comment on her appearance...
She's not a bad looking woman, but those are the skinniest legs I've ever seen.
Either wear pants instead of short skirts, or eat something.

Is that sexist ?
( yes, I know it is, I'm in a whimsical today )

I don't think it's sexist. Almost any person would observe that upon first impression.

Although she doesn't speak in those terms, I suspect she struggles with her vanity.  She has the physical appearance of a person with a severe eating disorder and her hardened veneer may prevent her from acknowledging or addressing it.

Then again, she just might be abnormally slender, but otherwise healthy.

20 minutes ago, rangerx said:

I don't think it's sexist. Almost any person would observe that upon first impression.

Although she doesn't speak in those terms, I suspect she struggles with her vanity.  She has the physical appearance of a person with a severe eating disorder and her hardened veneer may prevent her from acknowledging or addressing it.

Then again, she just might be abnormally slender, but otherwise healthy.

In the context of this discussion it is sexist because she  has some semblance of attractiveness and we don't ever judge male politicians on their looks. I would hazard a guess that if she were a Dem she'd be 'cool'.

5 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

In the context of this discussion it is sexist because she  has some semblance of attractiveness and we don't ever judge male politicians on their looks. I would hazard a guess that if she were a Dem she'd be 'cool'.

Ann Coulter is a far more attractive female than Bill Maher is a male. Men in the public eye are far less critiqued on their appearance. 

8 minutes ago, Ten oz said:

Ann Coulter is a far more attractive female than Bill Maher is a male. Men in the public eye are far less critiqued on their appearance. 

I think we here should be above deriding a person's appearance and stick to discussing their behaviour. 

25 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

As opposed to being Republican, which is not cool? Or are you just projecting on Democrats?

58 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

I think we here should be above deriding a person's appearance and stick to discussing their behaviour. 

I agree. Their appearance shouldn't matter. Unfortunately it does to many. A tall thin blond delivering a conservative message about immigration lends itself to a different tone and relatability for specific segments of the population. It is why FoxNews has spent the last couple surrounding their male pundits with younger attractive female analysts.