Hydration Headache

Hi,

This source:https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317511.php says that: When the body is dehydrated, the brain can temporarily contract or shrink from fluid loss. This mechanism causes the brain to pull away from the skull, causing pain and resulting in a dehydration headache.

I wonder why the brain pulls away from the skull and why that hurts.

Edited by Carl Fredrik Ahl

2 hours ago, Carl Fredrik Ahl said:

Yeah I know, but I wonder why will it do that?

What happens when you dry a potato or a cucumber?  (it shrivels).

What happens when you let the air out of a balloon or a tyre?

1 hour ago, DrP said:

What happens when you dry a potato or a cucumber?  (it shrivels).

What happens when you let the air out of a balloon or a tyre?

Yeah ok thx for explaining. No I wonder why does it pull away from the skull? Is it because the movement when it shrivels? and what happens when it pull away for the skull except feeling pain. Is there any benefit for the brain to do so?

44 minutes ago, Carl Fredrik Ahl said:

what happens when it pull away for the skull except feeling pain. Is there any benefit for the brain to do so?

I doubt it has any choice in the matter.  An orange that is shrinking in size due to water loss doesn't choose to do so and doesn't 'benefit' from it - it just does it via the laws of physics. If you deflate something it shrinks.  The pain is probably due to it NOT being beneficial and the pain is telling you to drink dome water to stop your brain from drying out and dying.

Edited by DrP

2 hours ago, DrP said:

I doubt it has any choice in the matter.  An orange that is shrinking in size due to water loss doesn't choose to do so and doesn't 'benefit' from it - it just does it via the laws of physics. If you deflate something it shrinks.  The pain is probably due to it NOT being beneficial and the pain is telling you to drink dome water to stop your brain from drying out and dying.

you're so patient - you get :o plus one ;)