How does the Trump era end?

Ten oz

@iNow, Your comment "My intuition is that Rubio has formally begun positioning himself as a Republican primary challenger to Trump (or replacement if he’s removed from office beforehand)." interests me so I opened a new thread to discuss it. It does seem there are a a few different ways Trump's presidency might end and all seem possible in my opinion. 

- Trump is removed from office via impeachment.  This could happen before 2020 or during a second term should he make to 2020 and win a second term.

- Trump resigns as part of a deal to avoid impeachment.

- Trump resigns as part of a deal he works out to spare some combination of Ivanka, Kushner, Don Jr, Eric, or other associates from prosecution. 

- Trump resigns out of the blue. Just declares victory and states he has had enough of the fake media and crooked Washington Politicians.

- A Republican challenger successfully beats Trump in the GOP primary following which Trump complains but doesn't file as an independent and simply isn't on the 2020 ballot.   

- A Republican challenger successfully beats Trump in the GOP primary following which Trump runs as an independent as loses.

- A Democratic Candidate beats Trump in 2020

- A Third Party challenge wins in 2020

- Trump wins and serves a full second term.

An invading caravan enters the US, Trump declares a state of emergency but to no avail, as members of the caravan take over the US Government. Trump feels vindicated as he was of course right all along, and the Democrats accept full responsibility. Trump escapes to Russia where they grant him asylum. He is last seen off on a wild boar hunt with Putin.

Edited by J.C.MacSwell

5 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

An invading caravan enters the US, Trump declares a state of emergency but to no avail, as members of the caravan take over the US Government. Trump feels vindicated as he was of course right all along, and the Democrats accept full responsibility.

While the list I posted was long nothing on it was meant to be ridiculous. Is there something you found far fetched?

How do you think the Trump era ends? 

41 minutes ago, Ten oz said:

A Republican challenger successfully beats Trump in the GOP primary following which Trump complains but doesn't file as an independent and simply isn't on the 2020 ballot.   

Of those you listed, I see this one as most likely (largely because I feel that an impeachment spearheaded by the Democratic controlled House won’t make it through the Republican controlled Senate, but that Senate bulwark could shift given his recent ratings drop after the shutdown). 

5 minutes ago, Ten oz said:

While the list I posted was long nothing on it was meant to be ridiculous. Is there something you found far fetched?

How do you think the Trump era ends? 

It's a good list. I wasn't trying to throw any shade on it.

I was thinking that if you told my story 5 years ago most would say  "yah, right Trump elected President...

Seriously I would like to see this (by the right challenger of course):

47 minutes ago, Ten oz said:

@iNow

I see this as more likely (I see INow has already said the same):

45 minutes ago, Ten oz said:

- A Republican challenger successfully beats Trump in the GOP primary following which Trump complains but doesn't file as an independent and simply isn't on the 2020 ballot.   

4 minutes ago, iNow said:

Of those you listed, I see this one as most likely (largely because I feel that an impeachment spearheaded by the Democratic controlled House won’t make it through the Republican controlled Senate, but that Senate bulwark could shift given his recent ratings drop after the shutdown). 

Given what we know today that makes sense. However I think it is a foregone conclusion the worst is yet to come from the Mueller investigation. So a lot could still change which could potentially make the odds of impeachment greater.

I think Trump losing the primary and failing to be on the ballot would a win of sorts for Trump. It would enable him to forever the process is rigged and complain about the deep state and Fake media. Alex Jones followers and flat earthers what eat it up. 

Why would Rubio or any other Republican bother? Whomever primaries Trump is certain to lose the general election as Trump's strongest supporter are sure to revolt.

If he has enough pressure on him and bad enough ratings, he might possibly serve out the current term rather than lose, and thus open things up for Republican primaries. Of course he would declare himself the best President ever having accomplished more in one term than anyone else in two...

This I think would be the best scenario for the Republicans.

Edited by J.C.MacSwell

7 minutes ago, Ten oz said:

Why would Rubio or any other Republican bother?

Ambition? Narcissism? Free publicity for business interests? Mommy didn’t love him enough and he’s trying to fill a deep emotional void. It’s not hard to think of reasons. 

Edited by iNow

5 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Seriously I would like to see this (by the right challenger of course):

I would love it if we (USA) had more than 2 parties but we don't. I don't think the way we get more parties is from 3rd party Presidential candidates. Given our system a 3rd party candidate will always favor towards one of our existing Parties. Bernie Sander in a registered independent and heavily favors Democrat. Donald Trump ran as a 3rd party candidate in 00'. Trump ran as via the Reform Party. Parties have to be built from the ground up. Other parties need Congressional Members and an established platform before POTUS becomes a good idea. 

Anything is possible but I do not think a 3rd party candidate could beat Trump. From the left they'd split the vote and help Trump win. From the Right they'd fail to get any traction as defending Trump seems (in my opinion) to have become a point of pride for much of his base. 

I think it will end by Trump allying with Putin to repulse the alien invasion and in return for Russia's help they will turn Alaska back over to Russia. No trace of the aliens will ever be recovered due to the immense weapons of the Russians which destroy the aliens completely. 

I forgot, due to Trumps brave stance in the face of alien invasion Trump will receive the Medal of Honor and will be named president for life by Putin and the US will become a satellite state of the Russians...  

Edited by Moontanman

10 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

If he has enough pressure on him and bad enough ratings, he might possibly serve out the current term rather than lose, and thus open things up for Republican primaries. Of course he would declare himself the best President ever having accomplished more in one term than anyone else in two...

This I think would be the best scenario for the Republicans.

Paul Ryan, Mattis, Sessions, Kelly, Priebus (former RNC Chairman), and etc are all gone. As everyone who leaves their remarks about their dealings with Trump put them at odds with Trump. The Red Hat MAGA supporters are with Trump till the end and they make up too great a portion of the Republican base at this point for the party to do without them. I think the best scenario for Republicans is Trump gets re-elected and finishes out his second term. Anything else risk revolt. 

24 minutes ago, iNow said:

Ambition? Narcissism? Free publicity for business interests? Mommy didn’t love him enough and he’s trying to fill a deep emotional void. It’s not hard to think of reasons. 

Perhaps, It is just hard for me to imagine why anyone would want to make themselves a whipping post. That said I can't wrap my mind around why Romney doesn't just take his hundreds of millions of dollars and just go enjoy his life. Romney is perpetually running for stuff.

Hey, loose thought just popped into my head and for the record I would hate to see this happen but if Trump did receive a serious challenge for the nomination for someone like Rubio, but manage to beat it, do you think the Democratic nominee would consider that challenger for VP? They could run a unity ticket and market it as an end to partisan politics. 

Paul Ryan, Mattis, Sessions, Kelly, Priebus (former RNC Chairman), and etc are all gone. As everyone who leaves their remarks about their dealings with Trump put them at odds with Trump. The Red Hat MAGA supporters are with Trump till the end and they make up too great a portion of the Republican base at this point for the party to do without them. I think the best scenario for Republicans is Trump gets re-elected and finishes out his second term. Anything else risk revolt. 

What I intended to describe was Trump stepping aside with regard to the 2020 ticket, while completing his current mandate. His base would then stay intact on the GOP side, wouldn't you think? 

2 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

What I intended to describe was Trump stepping aside with regard to the 2020 ticket, while completing his current mandate. His base would then stay intact on the GOP side, wouldn't you think? 

Yes, my response was assuming you meant Trump declared victory and didn't run in 2020. Trump supporters would be left in the lurk and revolt.

2 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

For his hard core base, it might depend on how he chose to spin it.

Maybe, but more and more it is becoming Trump against the world. Trump supporters have been hurling lot of friendly fire at establishment Republicans. Trump and Trump alone is the one person his supporter trust. It is impossible for them to trust anyone else because everyone else is gone so quickly. MAGA hatters are prepared to roll the bus over anyone. 

It would take time for MAGA Hatters to get over Trump and build loyalty to or affinity for another Republican. I think the result would be several million Republicans voters just sitting home in 2020. As it stands Republicans lose the popular vote by a few million anyway. Millions of Republicans staying home in 2020 would be devastating. 

1 hour ago, Ten oz said:

Trump supporters would be left in the lurk and revolt.

Was that an over zealous autocomplete or just a  linguistic mistake?

Quite funny.Do the MAG Hatters have the lurgy too?

I wish I had a clue how this will end.My capacity for schadenfreude is all used up at this stage.

3 minutes ago, geordief said:

Was that an over zealous autocomplete or just a  linguistic mistake?

Quite funny.Do the MAG Hatters have the lurgy too?

I wish I had a clue how this will end.My capacity for schadenfreude is all used up at this stage.

I meant lurch, sorry.

1 hour ago, Ten oz said:

if Trump did receive a serious challenge for the nomination for someone like Rubio, but manage to beat it, do you think the Democratic nominee would consider that challenger for VP? They could run a unity ticket and market it as an end to partisan politics. 

No, I don’t.

When Biden first ran, he seriously considered McCain as VP. When McCain ran, he seriously considered Joe Lieberman.

They both rejected it because the base wouldn’t accept it, and the polarity is even greater today than it was then (with the progressive left on the ascension).

1 minute ago, iNow said:

No, I don’t.

When Biden first ran, he seriously considered McCain as VP. When McCain ran, he seriously considered Joe Lieberman.

They both rejected it because the base wouldn’t accept it, and the polarity is even greater today than it was then (with the progressive left on the ascension).

Ironically I actually think an attempt at a joint ticket would worsen polarization to a degree as members of the base would reject it aggressively. I asked because it has been considered in the past as you mentioned. 

Didn't you mean Kerry had considered McCain as VP?

Didn't you mean Kerry had considered McCain as VP?

Derp derp. Yes, that’s precisely what I meant. Thx 

They formed a tight bond when they traveled together to the Hanoi Hilton where McCain was held and tortured. It was a very odd couple give McCains history and Kerry’s war protests and forceful congressional testimony against continued action in Vietnam. 

Edited by iNow

3 hours ago, Ten oz said:

@iNow, Your comment "My intuition is that Rubio has formally begun positioning himself as a Republican primary challenger to Trump (or replacement if he’s removed from office beforehand)." interests me so I opened a new thread to discuss it. It does seem there are a a few different ways Trump's presidency might end and all seem possible in my opinion. 

- Trump is removed from office via impeachment.  This could happen before 2020 or during a second term should he make to 2020 and win a second term.

- Trump resigns as part of a deal to avoid impeachment.

- Trump resigns as part of a deal he works out to spare some combination of Ivanka, Kushner, Don Jr, Eric, or other associates from prosecution. 

- Trump resigns out of the blue. Just declares victory and states he has had enough of the fake media and crooked Washington Politicians.

- A Republican challenger successfully beats Trump in the GOP primary following which Trump runs as an independent as loses.

- A Democratic Candidate beats Trump in 2020

- Trump wins and serves a full second term.

My personal expected option:

- Trump gets to 2020, pockets the millions he's raised for a reelection campaign, doesn't run, and walks away from politics forever.

• 2 weeks later...

Not that is will end Trump's presidency but is it more trouble. I think the more legal trouble Trump and those around him face the higher the likelihood he cuts a deal to steps down and be pardoned. 

Also Cohen, Flynn, Papadopoulos, Manafort, Stone and etc have all be indicted over stuff dealing with the campaign. Another full round of campaigning may open up more cans of worms. Before Trump was a private citizen when his people met with Russians at Trump Tower and etc. What are the legal ramifications of a sitting President being approach by foriegn agency and not reporting it to his own Intelligence Agencies or State Department? 

On Monday, federal investigators issued a wide-ranging subpoena for officials managing the nonprofit organization to turn over documents related to donors, contractors, disclosure filings and more. Reportedly of interest are a host of potential violations, including money laundering, election fraud, the possibility the committee made false statements to the Federal Election Commission and the possibility the committee accepted foreign contributions, which is illegal. Link

44 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

He gets offered a program on Fox News which prompts him to resign.  His show on Fox News has lots of "executive time" and hot, young women for "aids."

Not to be confused with AIDS, which, of course, he’s going to eradicate.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-hivaids-promise-during-state-of-the-union-2019-02-06/