How does the Trump era end?

Ten oz

In the case of Nixon and Watergate, it was the Republicans who finally put their foot down and insisted he resign.

That could happen now, but sitting Republicans cower entrenched in self interest and accept no responsibility for anything whilst pointing fingers at everyone else.

All distraction, zero resolution.

On 1/27/2019 at 9:59 PM, Raider5678 said:

My personal expected option:

- Trump gets to 2020, pockets the millions he's raised for a reelection campaign, doesn't run, and walks away from politics forever.

.... To be detained at the leisure of the US justice system. If his past cohorts are heading that way, I think it's reasonable to think that he will too.

Edited by StringJunky

Trump's supporters didn't care that he's racist, 

His misogyny passed them by

They put up with his dishonesty.

The fact that he was elected on the back of Russian involvement is OK by them.
They will accept that the economic damage of his wall was somehow the fault of Obama, or the Mexicans or whatever.

In April, the end of year tax demands will arrive.

They will see that he lied about cutting their taxes and his popularity will fall to somewhere between that of Hitler and dysentery.

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

.... To be detained at the leisure of the US justice system. If his past cohorts are heading that way, I think it's reasonable to think that he will too.

"Theses are great walls...really big walls...clearly they demonstrate I was right all along...you don't see anyone coming in over them...I accomplished more in 3 years than any President ever..in fact I already had after 2 years...it was a great victory...a really great victory as everyone knows...

...but enough about me...what do you think Hilary?"

Edited by J.C.MacSwell

43 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

But Hillary had 3 classified notes on her personal email server that the Russians might have been able to access, yet Republicans called to lock her up.

To a republican, the threat of something is worse than the act of the same, apparently.

Edited by rangerx
spelling

1 hour ago, John Cuthber said:

Trump's supporters didn't care that he's racist, 

His misogyny passed them by

They put up with his dishonesty.

They will accept that the economic damage of his wall was somehow the fault of Obama, or the Mexicans or whatever.

In April, the end of year tax demands will arrive.

They will see that he lied about cutting their taxes and his popularity will fall to somewhere between that of Hitler and dysentery.

Yes, all those things are just "Trump being Trump" to the 1/3 or Americans that are suckers for celebrity, and like a cartoon character, political Rambo.

Russia doesn't matter because the Russians got their guy elected.  They say thanks to Russia.

You made an interesting point about Tax Time this year.  By the end of April, his base, those 1/3 of Americans that still think he's cute, will wonder why they didn't save thousands of dollars?   Remember how he boasted his tax plan was for the middle class, not the wealthy?  "It's not good for ME, believe me!"

Edited by Airbrush

On 1/27/2019 at 7:31 PM, Ten oz said:

- Trump is removed from office via impeachment.  This could happen before 2020 or during a second term should he make to 2020 and win a second term.

- Trump resigns as part of a deal to avoid impeachment.

Unlikely. That would require searching and finding evidences that he earned directly and/or indirectly on U.S. and worldwide stock markets (and/or commodity exchange) causing failure via Twitter etc. done on purpose.. He wouldn't pass lie-detector exam..

- Trump resigns as part of a deal he works out to spare some combination of Ivanka, Kushner, Don Jr, Eric, or other associates from prosecution.  

- Trump resigns out of the blue. Just declares victory and states he has had enough of the fake media and crooked Washington Politicians. 

Unlikely. This is even silly to comment.

- A Republican challenger successfully beats Trump in the GOP primary following which Trump complains but doesn't file as an independent and simply isn't on the 2020 ballot.   

- A Republican challenger successfully beats Trump in the GOP primary following which Trump runs as an independent as loses.

Unlikely. That would require superb personality..

That begs for statistics: how many times candidate from the same party replaced president from the same party in the history of U.S. ? (instead of second term of working president). Absolute number and percentage of the all cases. Per party. Please.

- A Democratic Candidate beats Trump in 2020

- A Third Party challenge wins in 2020

Quite likely.

- Trump wins and serves a full second term.

Unlikely. That would require finding "tickets" for counter-candidate which would damage his/her reputation..

Edited by Sensei

@Sensei there have already been more criminal indictments of Trump associates than there were of Nixon. Trump's former campaign manager was already been proven guilty in a court and Trump's personal attorney already pled guilty to multiple felonies. The Investigation into Trump's affairs by the House is only now starting in earnest as the previous majority in the House sought to protect Trump. Obama was POTUS for 8yrs and there were ZERO indictments. Trump has been in office 2yrs and there's been nearly a hundred. More people have been indicted under Trump than the last 5 Presidents combined. 

Trump's campaign broke the law. That is a fact which courts have already proven. That may or may not lead to a resignation or impeachment but both are possible. Neither a certainty but both possible. 

@Ten oz

Just a side note. "Pleading guilty to crime" does not mean you made the crime for real. It's just a such lawyer's trick, widely overused now, that prosecutor gives you "opportunity" (!) that "you will plead guilty or else we will went to court which will just give you much higher punishment" (and you will spend a lot of money on attorneys, which will suck the all money from you during process, appeal, and reappeal).

In communist country everybody "pleaded guilty" on tortures and/or after being "softened" in the jail.

There are millions of people around the world who "plead guilty" while being in-guilty..

1 hour ago, Ten oz said:

That is a fact which courts have already proven.

No, they didn't have chance, if there was agreement off the room..

Edited by Sensei

11 minutes ago, Sensei said:

@Ten oz

Just a side note. "Pleading guilty to crime" does not mean you made the crime for real. It's just a such lawyer's trick, widely overused now, that prosecutor gives you "opportunity" (!) that "you will plead guilty or else we will went to court which will just give you much higher punishment" (and you will spend a lot of money on attorneys, which will suck the all money from you during process, appeal, and reappeal).

In communist country everybody "pleaded guilty" on tortures and/or after being "softened" in the jail.

There is millions of people around the world who "plead guilty" while being in-guilty..

No, they didn't have chance, if there was agreement off the room..

Manafort didn't plead guilty. Manafort was found guilty by a jury on 8 felony counts. If you are claiming that neither being found guilty by a jury or pleading guilty is proof one committed a crime you are basically saying a crime cannot be proved. What else is there besides guilty pleas and guilty verdicts? 

Also the Mueller investigation has a grand jury which reviews each indictment prior to it being issued. That is an additional step which doesn't exist in most criminal cases. We are also talking about very wealthy people who can afforded the best possible defense teams in the world. These aren't disenfranchised people being taken advantage of by prosecutors with a back log of thousands of other cases to get to. 

Let's take Michael Cohen's guilty plea to Federal Campaign Law violations for example. Cohen started a company, used company funds to pay an Adult film star $130,000, and Trump then reimbursed that company. All of that is indisputable. The adult star did receive the money, Cohen did start the company and make the payment, and even Trump's own attorney's admit he reimbursed the money. Per Federal Campaign Finance that is a crime. Everyone involves admits it happened and the money can be traced through the company. Where is the coercion by prosecutors you are alluding to? 

2 hours ago, Ten oz said:

Obama was POTUS for 8yrs and there were ZERO indictments. Trump has been in office 2yrs and there's been nearly a hundred.

It’s even worse than this when we focus more broadly away from the individuals and instead to the parties. It’s intellectually lazy in the extreme when people suggest equivalence on both sides. Specifically...

Since 1965:

Democrats (25 years in power):

• 3 indictments
  • 1 conviction

• 1 prison sentence

Republicans (28 years in power):

• 120 indictments
  • 89 convictions

• 34 prison sentences

...and Trump’s not even done yet, nor is Mueller. Both sides my ass.

Edited by iNow

• 1 month later...

Much has been made of Trump's mental health. Many faux mental healthcare experts have attempted to diagnosis Trump via typos in his tweets or errors in his speech. I don't think a person can be accurately diagnosed over the television. I have no idea what ails Trump's mental faculties but something does appear to be off.  In the video below Trump mispronounces the word origin as oranges while discussing the Mueller investigation. It is an innocent enough mistake. Trump appears to be aware of the mistake and describes what he means as the beginning or how it (Mueller investigation) started.  Disturbingly though Trump continues to unsuccessfully try to say the word "origin" but it just keeps coming out as "oranges". Trump seems to be aware of the error and continuing to attempt to say it to correct the error but is unable to. He could have just replaced it with the word beginning or started having previous shown that he is aware either mean the something in context to what he is attempting to say. 

Perhaps it has nothing to do with his mental health and was just a standard slip up. It just seems to happen a lot with Trump and I find it strange. If there is an underlying medical issue it could ultimately lead the end of his presidency. 

32 minutes ago, Ten oz said:

Perhaps it has nothing to do with his mental health and was just a standard slip up. It just seems to happen a lot with Trump and I find it strange. If there is an underlying medical issue it could ultimately lead the end of his presidency. 

Your underlying assumption here is that mental health is prerequisite for our elected leaders. Alas, centuries of evidence suggests it's really not. ;)

5 minutes ago, iNow said:

Your underlying assumption here is that mental health is prerequisite for our elected leaders. Alas, centuries of evidence suggests it's really not. ;)

I was implying something grave. 

5 hours ago, Moontanman said:

I think it will end in mushroom clouds but hey I'm an optimist... 

That would be somewhat tolerable [for want of a better word] if Trump does not happen to be locked safely away in some hidden underground bunker and protected from what he helped to create.

7 hours ago, iNow said:

While probably some around the world have laughed at the situation in Australia in having 7 Prime Ministers in 10 years, [with the probable chances of another one after soon to be held forthcoming elections] I think it absolutely pales into insignificance when looking at the situation with regards to the POTUS at this time. Such a situation would not be tolerable in Australia.

On 4/5/2019 at 7:05 AM, Ten oz said:

... Trump appears to be aware of the mistake and describes what he means as the beginning or how it (Mueller investigation) started.  Disturbingly though Trump continues to unsuccessfully try to say the word "origin" but it just keeps coming out as "oranges". Trump seems to be aware of the error and continuing to attempt to say it to correct the error but is unable to. He could have just replaced it with the word beginning or started having previous shown that he is aware either mean the something in context to what he is attempting to say....

The simple inability to say the word "origins," along with many other examples of this, looks like a progression of senile dementia.  Is it getting worse?

At some point the GOP will recognize this may interfere with his official duties.

Edited by Airbrush

• 5 months later...

Good article in The Atlantic by Pete Wehner about Trump's disordered personality, and how we've got to stop being shocked by the disturbing things he says and does and start working to remove this damaged soul from an office he's completely unsuited for. He's only getting worse.

But above all, accepting the truth about Trump’s mental state will cause us to take more seriously than we have our democratic duty, which is to prevent a psychologically and morally unfit person from becoming president.

The office is too powerful, and the consequences are too dangerous, to allow a person to become president who views morality only through the prism of whether an action advances his own narrow interests, his own distorted desires, his own twisted impulses. When an individual comes to believe his interests and those of the nation he leads are one and the same, it opens the door to all sorts of moral and constitutional devilry.

Whether or not his disorders are diagnosable, the president’s psychological flaws are all too apparent. They were alarming when he took the oath of office; they are worse now. Every day Donald Trump is president is a day of disgrace. And a day of danger.

16 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Good article in The Atlantic by Pete Wehner about Trump's disordered personality, and how we've got to stop being shocked by the disturbing things he says and does and start working to remove this damaged soul from an office he's completely unsuited for. He's only getting worse.

Given Trump's mental condition, I suspect Yang will pardon him. It will help heal America.

7 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Given Trump's mental condition, I suspect Yang will pardon him. It will help heal America.

It's a galling fact that Trump will probably never serve time in jail because his predecessor will hopefully be more concerned with healing than revenge. Ironically, it will be the same democratic conventions that Trump pisses all over that will save him. Bigger people won't call to "lock him up", and I'm sure he sees that as weakness. What a stain on the country.