26th January:

beecee

Happy Australia Day to all the Aussies out there!!!

0a2782ba9a68c3fe9d8cda1c2bfe8c07.jpeg?rect=26,0,4312,3234&w=800&h=600&rot=360

Australia Day Live at the Sydney Opera House

https://www.australiaday.org.au/about-australia-day/history/ 

Before 1770

Aboriginal peoples had been living for more than 60 000 yearson the continent we now know as Australia. At least 1600 generations of these peoples had lived and died here.

Europeans from the thirteenth century became interested in details from Asia about this land to the south. From the sixteenth century European cartographers and navigators gave the continent various names, including Terra Australis (Southern Land) and New Holland.

Footprints
  1. 1770

Captain James Cook raised the Union Jack on what is now called Possession Island on 22 August to claim the eastern half of the continent as New South Wales for Great Britain.

2. 1788

First Fleet Ship

Captain Arthur Phillip, commander of the First Fleet of eleven convict ships from Great Britain, and the first Governor of New South Wales, arrived at Sydney Cove on 26 January and raised the Union Jack to signal the beginning of the colony.

The 1800s

1. 1804

Early almanacs and calendars and the Sydney Gazette began referring to 26 January as First Landing Day or Foundation Day. In Sydney, celebratory drinking, and later anniversary dinners became customary, especially among emancipists.

2. 1818

Beer glasses clinking

Governor Macquarie acknowledged the day officially as a public holiday on the thirtieth anniversary. The previous year he accepted the recommendation of Captain Matthew Flinders, circumnavigator of the continent, that it be called Australia.

The 1900s

1. 1901

The Australian colonies federated to form the Commonwealth of Australia. The Union Jack continued as the national flag, taking precedence over the Australian red and blue shipping ensigns gazetted in 1903. Melbourne was the interim federal capital. The Australian Capital Territory was created out of New South Wales in 1908, the federal capital named Canberra in 1913, and the Parliament House opened there in 1927. Australia Day is an established and significant day in the national calendar with 4 in 5 Australians seeing it as ‘more than a day off’ and over 16,000 people choosing it to become new citizens each year.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

BBQ already alight at my place, with a leg of lamb, sausages and prawns ready to be toasted!

Along with some VB ready to be scoffed and soft drink for the kids and wine for the Mrs!

Edited by beecee

23 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Aye, we Europeans don't have a lot to be proud of on the geographical discovery front.

There's a lot of controversy around the date of Australia Day here, which is partly why I responded. It is meant to commemorate the landing of the first fleet, which was on Jan 26, but in doing so it alienates Australia's First Nations people. They call it Invasion day and consider it a day of mourning, since it is the date that coincides with the invasion of their home and murder of their ancestors by white European settlers. There is a push in recent years to have it changed to a different date, which is not unprecedented as it has historically been celebrated on several different dates. Most people don't seem to mind when it's held, which suggests it could easily be changed without much backlash. And why wouldn't you want to? Australia isn't exclusively a country of white people, and it doesn't hurt anyone to change the date to something a little more respectful and kind to our First Nations people. On the other hand, the PM, with the support of many right wing pundits, has decided to double down on Australia Day being when it is, forcing councils to move their citizenship ceremonies to be on Jan 26 and then sinking $6.7mill into making a replica of James Cook's ship, the Endeavour, and having it circumnavigate the country as part of the celebrations (something James Cook never did, by the way). 

45 minutes ago, hypervalent_iodine said:

There's a lot of controversy around the date of Australia Day here, which is partly why I responded. It is meant to commemorate the landing of the first fleet, which was on Jan 26, but in doing so it alienates Australia's First Nations people. They call it Invasion day and consider it a day of mourning, since it is the date that coincides with the invasion of their home and murder of their ancestors by white European settlers. There is a push in recent years to have it changed to a different date, which is not unprecedented as it has historically been celebrated on several different dates. Most people don't seem to mind when it's held, which suggests it could easily be changed without much backlash. And why wouldn't you want to? Australia isn't exclusively a country of white people, and it doesn't hurt anyone to change the date to something a little more respectful and kind to our First Nations people. On the other hand, the PM, with the support of many right wing pundits, has decided to double down on Australia Day being when it is, forcing councils to move their citizenship ceremonies to be on Jan 26 and then sinking $6.7mill into making a replica of James Cook's ship, the Endeavour, and having it circumnavigate the country as part of the celebrations (something James Cook never did, by the way). 

That was Matthew Flinders*, I believe. Yes, I think it should be a mutually agreeable day between the First Nation people and settled people.

* his remains have just been found in London. That's how I know. Matthew Flinders: Australia explorer's remains found in HS2 dig

Edited by StringJunky

4 hours ago, hypervalent_iodine said:

3 hours ago, StringJunky said:

That was Matthew Flinders*, I believe. Yes, I think it should be a mutually agreeable day between the First Nation people and settled people.

* his remains have just been found in London. That's how I know. Matthew Flinders: Australia explorer's remains found in HS2 dig

I'm well aware of the controversy that Australia Day is to many indigenous people, and I have no objection to it being changed to a more appropriate date if that is what people want.

I also live in Sydney, at Maroubra, only a couple of kilometers from La-Perouse, a suburb with a large indigenous population, and count many indigenous people as friends.

Yes, the first Settlers did rape, pillage and Murder the local people, just as they did elsewhere, and that is something we should be sorry about...In fact one of our Labor Prime Ministers, did apologise in the Parliament a few years ago, at least with regards to the "Stolen Generation".

As a 100% Labor man through and through, I supported that totally.

Still Australia Day, whether on the 26th or not, is well worth celebrating, as in essence, it celebrates more then what some claim as "Invasion Day", it celebrates what being an Aussie truly is, and irrespective of politics, It's the aspect I'm proud of. 

I have also had the great honour of meeting imo, our greatest ever Prime Minister, one who also did much to unite indigenous Australia and the rest of us Imported variety Gough Whitlam along with Jim Cairns.

And also the following Prime Minister....

47 minutes ago, beecee said:

I'm well aware of the controversy that Australia Day is to many indigenous people, and I have no objection to it being changed to a more appropriate date if that is what people want.

I also live in Sydney, at Maroubra, only a couple of kilometers from La-Perouse, a suburb with a large indigenous population, and count many indigenous people as friends.

Yes, the first Settlers did rape, pillage and Murder the local people, just as they did elsewhere, and that is something we should be sorry about...In fact one of our Labor Prime Ministers, did apologise in the Parliament a few years ago, at least with regards to the "Stolen Generation".

As a 100% Labor man through and through, I supported that totally.

Still Australia Day, whether on the 26th or not, is well worth celebrating, as in essence, it celebrates more then what some claim as "Invasion Day", it celebrates what being an Aussie truly is, and irrespective of politics, It's the aspect I'm proud of. 

I have also had the great honour of meeting imo, our greatest ever Prime Minister, one who also did much to unite indigenous Australia and the rest of us Imported variety Gough Whitlam along with Jim Cairns.

And also the following Prime Minister....

You’ll have to forgive me for not assuming you were overly aware of the very real horrors of our history after what you posted in the OP.

No one is saying it shouldn’t be celebrated, just that it should perhaps be done on a day that doesn’t utterly disrespect Indigenous Australians. Do you think First Nations people should just get over what happened to them because we said sorry in 2008? Should we not reinforce those words with actions with they were sciencerly meant? To me, and to many people, being Australian is (or should be) about being inclusive, welcoming and fair to all people. We don’t achieve that by ignoring our history and the damage colonisation has and continues to cause. 

50 minutes ago, hypervalent_iodine said:

You’ll have to forgive me for not assuming you were overly aware of the very real horrors of our history after what you posted in the OP. Possession Island 

No one is saying it shouldn’t be celebrated, just that it should perhaps be done on a day that doesn’t utterly disrespect Indigenous Australians. Do you think First Nations people should just get over what happened to them because we said sorry in 2008? Should we not reinforce those words with actions with they were sciencerly meant? To me, and to many people, being Australian is (or should be) about being inclusive, welcoming and fair to all people. We don’t achieve that by ignoring our history and the damage colonisation has and continues to cause. 

You're forgiven! :P I've just had a great day, with friends and family and was somewhat elated after a few VBs. As well as finally having some success in the cricket!!!! When I posted this, it was simply to bring it to the notice of our members, and promoting the extended meaning of Australia Day, certainly no disrespect to the only real true blue Aussies.

I agree with all you have said, and I'm pretty certain Shorten when he is elected, will also make notable inroads into conciliation process.

Edited by beecee

42 minutes ago, beecee said:

I agree with all you have said, and I'm pretty certain Shorten when he is elected, will also make notable inroads into conciliation process.

Perhaps I am just cynical of our major parties and their ability to make decisions for any reason other than political point scoring, but I'll believe it when I see it. He has stated as recently as the past week that he supports keeping the date as-is. 

5 hours ago, koti said:

Its a fairly common joke to purposely confuse them.

I get the impulse with homonymic words. When someone tells me "You read my mind!", my impulse is to respond "People tell me I'm psychotic!"

Flip Wilson used to joke about going to Vienna to buy some of those little sausages. "Those Vietnamese sure know how to make good sausages!"

You took a shot with Australia/Austria and you bombed. Oh well, know your audience. Obviously, Australians don't like to be confused with Austriches.

On 1/26/2019 at 1:26 PM, StringJunky said:

I remember Matthew Flinders primarily for his exploratory exploits along with George Bass. A lesser know fact is that the first Australian to circumnavigate  Australia was an Indigenous person named Bungaree, despite the fact that we see no statues or commemorative plaques celebrating that fact.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bungaree

"Bungaree, or Boongaree, (1775 – 24 November 1830) was an Aboriginal Australianfrom the Kuringgai people of the Broken Bay area north of Sydney, who was known as an explorer, entertainer, and Aboriginal community leader.[1][2] He is also significant in that he was the first person to be recorded in print as an Australian,[3] and thus the first Australian to circumnavigate the continent.

Having moved to the growing settlement of Sydney in the 1790s, Bungaree established himself as a well-known identity, as one able to move between his own people and the newcomers.[4]. He joined the crew of the HMS Reliance on a trip to Norfolk Island[5] in 1798, during which he impressed the then midshipman Matthew Flinders. In 1798 he accompanied Flinders on the sloop Norfolk on a coastal survey as an interpreter, guide and negotiator with local indigenous groups.[6]

He was recruited by Flinders on his circumnavigation of Australia between 1801 and 1803 in the Investigator.[7][5] Flinders was the cartographer of the first complete map of Australia, filling in the gaps from previous cartographic expeditions, and was the most prominent advocate for naming the continent "Australia". Flinders noted that Bungaree was "a worthy and brave fellow" who, on multiple occasions, saved the expedition.[8] Bungaree was the only indigenous Australian on the ship - and as such, played a vital diplomatic role as they made their way around the coast, overcoming not inconsiderable language barriers in places. According to historian Keith Vincent, Bungaree chose the role as a go-between, and was often able to mollify indigenous people who were about to attack the sailors, by taking off his clothes and speaking to people, despite being in territory unknown to himself. Flinders later wrote in his memoirs of Bungaree's "good disposition and open and manly conduct" and his kindness to the ship's cat, Trim.[5]"

On 1/26/2019 at 7:02 PM, Phi for All said:

You took a shot with Australia/Austria and you bombed...

Not entirely, you seem to get it perfectly well. It was semi-stale though considering the context I agree. I have a hunch that hyper and beecee will not be loosing too much sleep over this.