Animal carcasses found in buried Antarctic lake

Itoero

Scientists drilling into a buried Antarctic lake 600 kilometres from the South Pole have found surprising signs of ancient life: the carcasses of tiny animals preserved under a kilometre of ice.

The crustaceans and a tardigrade, or ‘water bear’ — all smaller than poppy seeds — were found in Subglacial Lake Mercer, a body of water that had lain undisturbed for thousands of years. Until now, humans had seen the lake only indirectly, through ice-penetrating radar and other remote-sensing techniques. But that changed on 26 December when researchers funded by the US National Science Foundation (NSF) succeeded in melting a narrow portal through the ice to the water below.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-00106-z

56 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

Makes me wonder if one a very cold planet could like evolve into large forms under very cold conditions.. 

I think they were there when there was no ice. Tardigrades normally  inhabit moss. They can survive extreme conditions, even become dessicated.

Edited by StringJunky

2 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

English is his second language.

Well, I don't know the author of the article, but even if it was his second language, there is usually some level of editing. As such I assume it was deliberate.

Edit: Or do you mean OP? The content is directly lifted from the article (probably easier to spot if quoted had been used).

2 minutes ago, CharonY said:

Well, I don't know the author of the article, but even if it was his second language, there is usually some level of editing. As such I assume it was deliberate.

Edit: Or do you mean OP? The content is directly lifted from the article (probably easier to spot if quoted had been used).

Oh right. OK. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.