Electrolytic Oxidation of NaHCO3

bedroomScience

I'm new to chemistry and first I'd like to say, NO, I'm not trying to plate out sodium metal, in an aqueous solution, that's just ridiculous, lol(though I did see something on KOH but the product was less than desirable).

I am however trying to knock  CO2(g) Off and synth NaOH. Is that even possible?

The way I see the reaction carrying out is:

NaHCO +  H2O -> 

@Anode: CO2(g) + O2(g) + 2H+ ,

@Cathode: NaOH + H2(g) + OH-

Is that correct?

1 hour ago, bedroomScience said:

I am however trying to knock  CO2(g) Off and synth NaOH. Is that even possible?

If production of NaOH is aim, wouldn't it be simpler to heat NaHCO3.. ? At high enough temperature it will start decomposition (above 50 C).

2NaHCO3 → Na2CO3 + H2O + CO2

"If anhydrous sodium carbonate is heated, loss in weight — due to dissociation and volatilization — begins at 400° C (752° F). Carbon dioxide is evolved as indicated by the reaction equation. Na2CO3 → Na2O + CO2 The following table lists the decomposition pressure at various temperatures."

Na2O + H2O → 2NaOH

Edited by Sensei

4 minutes ago, Sensei said:

If production of NaOH is aim, wouldn't it be simply heat NaHCO3.. ? At high enough temperature it will start decomposition (above 50 C).

2NaHCO3 → Na2CO3 + H2O + CO2

Wow, completely forgot that I could do that. It's too late, I already have it in electrolysis for a few days now. The Idea was to produce NaOH + PbO2(anode layer). I've had it at 5V, Pb Anode, Cu Cathode (PbO2 layer formed in solution as anticipated).

So does not starting with thermal decomposition change the product (IDK, NaCO4 maybe)?

The reason I ask is because I reacted it with MgSOand it immediately precipitated what appears to be Mg(OH)2. The precipitation was fast, unlike NaHCO3, but there was gas release. So I'm wondering if that's MgCO3

• 2 weeks later...