Trump and emoluments ( split from The Slick Sales Pitch of Trump)

Ten oz

As if the various bombshells regarding paying off adult film stars, nepotism, and Russian collusion weren't enough the inspector General for GSA has acknowledge that Trump is in violation of the Emoluments clauses. 

Officials leasing the Old Post Office Building for the Trump International Hotel in Washington improperly ignored the Constitution's anti-corruption clauses when they continued to lease the government property to President Trump even after he won the White House, according to an internal federal government watchdog.

The Inspector General for the General Services Administration, the agency that leased the building to Trump in 2013, said in a report published Wednesday that agency lawyers decided to ignore the constitutional issues when they reviewed the lease after Trump won the 2016 election.

Link

"The GSA inspector general recommends a legal review of the lease but stops short of suggesting it should be canceled. "

"— which he still profits from —"

I think it's absurd to suggest Trump has any interest in making money as President.  Not only does he have way more money than he could ever need, he would surely have made much more money during his term if he hadn't taken the job.  Unlike Clinton and Obama, Trump made his fortune prior to and despite his duties in office.

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry of Yore said:

I think it's absurd to suggest Trump has any interest in making money as President

Then you should pay better attention. 

Not only does he have way more money than he could ever need

You know lots of rich people who simply decide to stop earning more money once initially becoming wealthy, do you?

he would surely have made much more money during his term if he hadn't taken the job. 

What informs this conclusion? Perhaps it’s all of his previous bankruptcies?

Unlike Clinton and Obama, Trump made his fortune prior to and despite his duties in office.

Actually, his daddy gave it to him and he’d have been even richer had he simply invested in index funds (since his businesses failed so hard and so consistently), but I don’t reckon facts matter much to you. 

Edited by iNow

44 minutes ago, Huckleberry of Yore said:

"The GSA inspector general recommends a legal review of the lease but stops short of suggesting it should be canceled. "

"— which he still profits from —"

I think it's absurd to suggest Trump has any interest in making money as President.  Not only does he have way more money than he could ever need, he would surely have made much more money during his term if he hadn't taken the job.  Unlike Clinton and Obama, Trump made his fortune prior to and despite his duties in office.

I don't know what you've been reading. 

2 hours ago, Huckleberry of Yore said:

The GSA inspector and staff are White House appointees. This report wasn't prepared by an anti-Trump politician or media outlet. The Emoluments Clauses is a Constitution provision. Violating it is a crime. Regardless of how rich you think Trump might be or ever might want to be it is still a crime to violate the Emoluments Clauses. 

I fail to understand how the amount of money you believe Trump is worth changes anything.  

Edited by Ten oz

17 hours ago, StringJunky said:

I don't know what you've been reading.  

How would you, unless I told you? :)

15 hours ago, Ten oz said:

The GSA inspector and staff are White House appointees.

"Carol Fortine Ochoa is the Inspector General for the U.S. General Services Administration. The U.S. Senate confirmed her as the Inspector General on July 29, 2015."

Source: https://www.gsa.gov/about-us/organization/leadership-directory/inspector-general

US Constitution:

• "No title of nobility shall be granted by the United States: and no person holding any office of profit or trust under them, shall, without the consent of the Congress, accept of any present, emolument, office, or title, of any kind whatever, from any king, prince, or foreign state."

Are you suggesting that paying for lodging in a hotel owned by Trumps businesses is a present?  By this logic Obama would have been equally as guilty by virtue of the fact that foreigners bought copies of his books.  Ridiculous.

27 minutes ago, Huckleberry of Yore said:

How would you, unless I told you? :)

"Carol Fortine Ochoa is the Inspector General for the U.S. General Services Administration. The U.S. Senate confirmed her as the Inspector General on July 29, 2015."

Source: https://www.gsa.gov/about-us/organization/leadership-directory/inspector-general

US Constitution:

• "No title of nobility shall be granted by the United States: and no person holding any office of profit or trust under them, shall, without the consent of the Congress, accept of any present, emolument, office, or title, of any kind whatever, from any king, prince, or foreign state."

Are you suggesting that paying for lodging in a hotel owned by Trumps businesses is a present?  By this logic Obama would have been equally as guilty by virtue of the fact that foreigners bought copies of his books.  Ridiculous.

You can't send a bottle of champagne or other forms of 'appreciation' in a book.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry of Yore said:

I posted "appointees". I was not referring to her exclusively. That whole office is under Trump's executive purview. 

1 hour ago, Huckleberry of Yore said:

I am not suggesting anything. The Inspector General who is the subjectatter expert is. Are you claiming they are wrong?