How Hall Effect Magnetic Sensors Works [SOLVED]

Carl Fredrik Ahl

passing a continuous current through itself. When the device is placed within a magnetic field, the magnetic flux lines exert a force on the semiconductor material which deflects the charge carriers, electrons and holes, to either side of the semiconductor slab. 

I wonder why the semiconductor needs to send a current through itself in order for the protons and electrons (positive and negative charges) to get effected by the magnet and get to either side of the semiconductor. There are only negative charge in the current of course (cause it's all electrons, which should result in the electrons getting to one of the sides of the semiconductor, but how does it works with the protons (the positive charges)?

mag26.gif

1 hour ago, Carl Fredrik Ahl said:

passing a continuous current through itself. When the device is placed within a magnetic field, the magnetic flux lines exert a force on the semiconductor material which deflects the charge carriers, electrons and holes, to either side of the semiconductor slab. 

Is this quoted from somewhere?

I wonder why the semiconductor needs to send a current through itself in order for the protons and electrons (positive and negative charges) to get effected by the magnet

I don’t know a semiconductor can send a current “through itself” but static charges are not affected by a magnetic field. They only experience a force if they are moving. Hence a current is required. 

Note that your first sentence (quote?) is correct: the positive charges are holes, not protons.

There are only negative charge in the current of course

Holes act as positive charge carriers in semiconductors. 

3 hours ago, Strange said:

Holes act as positive charge carriers in semiconductors. 

Yeah I forgot that, I wrongly though of it as protons, thx for reminding me. 

3 hours ago, Strange said:

static charges are not affected by a magnetic field.

Why is this?

It's quated from this source: https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/electromagnetism/hall-effect.html

Edited by Carl Fredrik Ahl

• Strange changed the title to How Hall Effect Magnetic Sensors Works [SOLVED]