U.S. Democratic Primary

Ten oz

We can discuss E Warren again in 4 years time, or, if J Biden decides to select her as his running mate.
( would not be a bad idea, she would be VP for 4 years, and probably POTUS during the next 4 )

Does anyone else think T Reade's story has a few holes ?
She claims that, post incident, she told people about it, including her brother.
Now, other people might have forgotten an incident from 27 years ago, but I find it hard to believe a brother could easily forget his sister's assault, no matter the amount of time passed.
Yet he did, only to subsequently remember in great detail.
She claims she doesn't want to influence the election, yet she puts out her story 7 months before the election, and, she wants J Biden to drop out. Any reason she gives for coming forward with the accusations now, was just as valid when B Obama chose J Biden for VP.
So why now ?

1 hour ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

If she hadn't pounded identity politics she would have won, IMO. She had an awful lot going for her without pressing (pounding is more accurate) the fact that she deserved it as she was a woman. Ironically of course, those that were impressed by that line of thought would have no doubt leaned that way anyway (also note how she struggled, and Bernie thrived, after her attack on Sanders on that front, though of course at that point she was desperate)

She also moved further left early in an attempt cut off Sanders, despite the fact that her politics have historically served her better closer to the center.

Another factor was her temporary refusal to accept big donor donations (even though she had already used a war chest, based significantly though in part on them, for her campaign). 

I don't buy the low electability from the start. She misread her strengths and where to emphasize them. And not so much due to principle IMO, but by misplaced strategy.

All that said...I'm sure that was stated tongue in cheek.

(Trumps' election notwithstanding)

Playing the 'woman' card is a vote loser in my opinion because it only preaches to the choir and potentially alienates the male floaters and skeptics in the available electorate. People aren't much interested in what you are but what you are going to do.

19 minutes ago, MigL said:

We can discuss E Warren again in 4 years time, or, if J Biden decides to select her as his running mate.
( would not be a bad idea, she would be VP for 4 years, and probably POTUS during the next 4 )

Possibly POTUS earlier...

21 minutes ago, MigL said:

Does anyone else think T Reade's story has a few holes ?
She claims that, post incident, she told people about it, including her brother.
Now, other people might have forgotten an incident from 27 years ago, but I find it hard to believe a brother could easily forget his sister's assault, no matter the amount of time passed.
Yet he did, only to subsequently remember in great detail.

I'm skeptical at least to the point that I would not hold it against Biden.  I would neither believe or disbelieve her story at this point, and not have it affect my vote either way if I had one. The onus of proof is on her for that particular purpose, regardless of how fair that may seem to some people.

40 minutes ago, MigL said:

She claims she doesn't want to influence the election, yet she puts out her story 7 months before the election, and, she wants J Biden to drop out. Any reason she gives for coming forward with the accusations now, was just as valid when B Obama chose J Biden for VP.
So why now ?

Presumably due to the MeToo movement, there is less of a stigma attached to coming forward. That isn't a bad thing, but it doesn't oblige us to take any accusation at face value.

42 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Playing the 'woman' card is a vote loser in my opinion because it only preaches to the choir and potentially alienates the male floaters and skeptics in the available electorate. People aren't much interested in what you are but what you are going to do.

Agree. 

Being a woman in the Democratic Primary was an advantage Warren badly overplayed.

1 hour ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Being a woman in the Democratic Primary was an advantage Warren badly overplayed.

Yeah. Clearly all those little girls who looked up to her and found inspiration in her life’s story were rubes and should’ve found more perfect heroes who weren’t human at all

Its a shame that little girls ( little boys also ) don't get to vote, INow.
E Warren is fairly young, I'm sure she will contest the nomination again.
Without J Biden or B Sanders, she would own the nomination.

2 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Presumably due to the MeToo movement, there is less of a stigma attached to coming forward.

The MeToo movement has been moving for a couple of years now, JC.
Yet as late as last year, T Reade claimed in interviews that there was 'flirting' with J Biden, but never an assault.
It was only early this year that she lobbed the assault allegation.

14 minutes ago, MigL said:

Yet as late as last year, T Reade claimed in interviews that there was 'flirting' with J Biden, but never an assault.

It’s a shit sandwich of a story. True, false, it doesn’t even matter any more. Everyone retreats into their partisan camps and starts lobbing turds the other way. 

This is about getting suburban women who are already barely lukewarm about touchy shoulder rubbing uncle Joe Biden to stay home and not vote.

Little marginal stories like this that touch on issues we all care about will keep getting introduced and will merely depress an already soft voter intensity. They are all it’s gonna take to keep Trump (who won by an approximate total of 77,000 votes in 3 key states) in office for 4 more incompetent grifting self-serving corrupt years. 

3 hours ago, iNow said:

Yeah. Clearly all those little girls who looked up to her and found inspiration in her life’s story were rubes and should’ve found more perfect heroes who weren’t human at all

Exactly...the type of losing identity politics excuse that is simply too easy for grownups to see through.

I hope all those young girls come to understand that.

Warren ran a faulty campaign and wasn't deprived of the nomination by straw men.

18 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Warren ran a faulty campaign and wasn't deprived of the nomination by straw men.

If only she had your genius and prognostication skills to show her the right way of doing it, but alas. We’re left with the cold comfort of your Monday morning quarterbacking 

2 minutes ago, iNow said:

If only she had your genius and prognostication skills to show her the right way of doing it, but alas. We’re left with the cold comfort of your Monday morning quarterbacking 

It should have been obvious to her not to overplay her hand...nevertheless, she persisted!

3 hours ago, MigL said:

E Warren is fairly young, I'm sure she will contest the nomination again.

She would have been the oldest POTUS on day of inauguration if she had won this time. (though as she famously pointed out...youngest ever female)

But she certainly is younger, and seems far healthier, than Biden or Sanders.

3 hours ago, MigL said:

Understood. But I still believe that is presumably the excuse...if her accusation is completely honest.

11 hours ago, iNow said:

Look at it like this: does the obvious (that she's a woman) need to be stated?

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

Look at it like this: does the obvious (that she's a woman) need to be stated?

It’s hard to say since we’ve never even once elected one POTUS. There’s no data to compare successes against failures for themes and trends. There are only failures. 

8 minutes ago, iNow said:

It’s hard to say since we’ve never even once elected one POTUS. There’s no data to compare successes against failures for themes and trends. There are only failures. 

Well, it's a potential mistake they need not do again.

On that subject, should Biden have announced that he was committed to choosing a female running mate?

My personal belief is that he should not have, and simply chosen who he thought was the best candidate.

However, if he was going to do that (choose a women regardless), should he not just have kept that to himself, and picked a woman as running mate as presumably the best choice available?

50 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

On that subject, should Biden have announced that he was committed to choosing a female running mate?

My personal belief is that he should not have, and simply chosen who he thought was the best candidate.

However, if he was going to do that (choose a women regardless), should he not just have kept that to himself, and picked a woman as running mate as presumably the best choice available?

Everyone knew he was going to choose a female. By announcing it bluntly, he gets a bump in polling and good feeling among a key section of the electorate he needs to win. 

To me, the benefit of that is far higher than the slightly negative impact among old codgers like you who get their entitled male panties all twisted over it. ;)

49 minutes ago, iNow said:

Everyone knew he was going to choose a female. By announcing it bluntly, he gets a bump in polling and good feeling among a key section of the electorate he needs to win. 

To win the Primary or the the election? Both?

49 minutes ago, iNow said:

To me, the benefit of that is far higher than the slightly negative impact among old codgers like you who get their entitled male panties all twisted over it. ;)

I'm not sure what an old entitled codger like myself misses out on. (missing out on any consideration for Yang, possibly)

My pick based on personal preference for Biden's VP would be Gabbard.

To borrow a quip from CY on Warren:

19 hours ago, CharonY said:

Well, she was probably the most qualified candidate. As you know that basically means low electability.

Of course Tulsi was one of the candidates with the most integrity. As you know that basically means low electability.

But hopefully there was some young girls (and boys) paying attention...

Edited by J.C.MacSwell

3 hours ago, MigL said:

Did not know you wear panties, JC . :D 
( not that there's anything wrong with that )

Don't you know you shouldn't 'out' someone against their wishes, INow ? :D

Enough is enough. 

I'm not sending INow any more photos.

3 hours ago, MigL said:

Did not know you wear panties, JC . :D 
( not that there's anything wrong with that )

Don't you know you shouldn't 'out' someone against their wishes, INow ? :D

What's black and comes rushing out of the ground shouting knickers knickers knickers  ?

Spoiler

crude oil

What's black and comes rushing out of the ground shouting panties panties panties  ?

Spoiler

refined oil

• 1 month later...

Maybe someone can explain this to me...

Why would the Democrat Governor of Kentucky sign an executive order cutting the number of polling stations by 95% ahead of primary voting ?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/kentucky-cuts-polling-locations-angry-mob-long-lines-georgia-election-day-disaster-confusion-a9577501.html

Apparently Jefferson county has ONE polling station for a population of 600 000 people.

Isn't that just helping Republican voter suppression efforts ?

Hi.  Being very disconnected from politics, can only guess as I reside in KY and from the news seen here it is all aimed to prevent spreading virus, with a nearly one million votes done as advance-absentee-mailed ballots presented as compensation for the closing of voting places.  If helps someone other than general health, cannot tell.

There was today only one place to vote in the county of Fayette, (a stadium) in nearby Lexington.

----> https://www.lexingtonky.gov/vote

----> https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2020/06/18/kentucky-elections-judge-rules-against-forcing-more-polling-locations/3211751001/

Edited by Externet
Added a link

50 minutes ago, MigL said:

Why would the Democrat Governor of Kentucky sign an executive order cutting the number of polling stations by 95% ahead of primary voting ?

Because they can. 

50 minutes ago, MigL said:

Isn't that just helping Republican voter suppression efforts ?

Ding!! Give that man a cookie!

You’ll notice also how this was focused in predominately black districts. 

Exactly.
But the Governor is a Democrat !

So I still don't understand.
Would there not be more separation for Covid-19, with a lot more polling stations ?
Over 600 000 voters in one polling station, no matter how many mail ins you have, is a recipe for disaster during a pandemic.

Edited by MigL

5 minutes ago, MigL said:

But the Governor is a Democrat !

And the Attorney General (who’s in charge of enforcing election processes and laws) is a Republican. 

https://ag.ky.gov/about/Pages/Attorney-General.aspx

10 minutes ago, MigL said:

Would there not be more separation for Covid-19, with a lot more polling stations ?

The claim was they were protecting election workers, not the electorate. 

Vote by mail is clearly the solution, but that causes participation to spike and more voters means fewer Republican wins. 

Or if you listen to DJT, it results in more fraud (even though he, his VP, his top advisors, and nearly everyone in his inner circle has repeatedly voted by mail themselves).