U.S. Democratic Primary

Ten oz

27 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Are you never wrong? That must be a burden...

admittedly uninformed

It was. I don't think there is any value to this thread in rehashing it further. You can read back (all on previous page)

I'm often wrong but maybe less than you might think if you don't read carefully. I usually pose questions when uncertain of my opinions.

11 minutes ago, MigL said:

And K Harris should seriously reconsider her ambitions.
She has dropped double digits since her 'scolding' of J Biden in the debates gave her a major boost.

She's all-in in Iowa right now, with Nevada being her 2nd target. She needs to finish top-2 in both to have a chance at momentum carrying her through super Tuesday

On 12/2/2019 at 12:27 PM, iNow said:

She's all-in in Iowa right now, with Nevada being her 2nd target. She needs to finish top-2 in both to have a chance at momentum carrying her through super Tuesday

Well, now she is officially out.

29 minutes ago, MigL said:

You could make a TV reality show about American politics.

They did. Several, in fact. They show all the weird stuff during the news segments, however (but it bleeds into pretty much all other shows). There are crowd pleasers such as "Shit the president says near a helicopter", "Democratic primaries battle royale-don't talk while I am yelling", "Republican Conspiracy-o-Rama - how Clinton is the actual deep-state shadow president". There are of course underappreciated spin-offs such as "Border wars- let's lock up children as deterrent", but we tend to forget about these.

But seriously, the stuff is almost exactly like scripted shows. Just look the Conways for example. 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting debate. It seemed fairly congenial the first hour, but some heavier exchanges after that, especially between Buttigieg and Warren, though Buttigieg seemed to be attacked the most overall.

Warren might have had the best line of the night. When questioned with regard to potentially being the oldest President at inauguration ever she pointed out she would be the youngest female president ever.

I thought Klobuchar did well last time. She did even better this time.

4 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Interesting debate.

Agreed. It was my favorite so far. Helped that there were fewer on stage and the PBS team did a nice job of having fun, asking hard questions, and letting candidates spar a bit.

In addition to reminding us she’d be the youngest female candidate, I appreciated the strength of Warrens response to economists saying her plans would stall the economy. Much like Trump would do if he’d gotten the question, she flatly and fiercely said, “they’re wrong.” It’s that kind of quick thinking and domination we’ll need to counter Trumps bombast.Clear. Direct. Decisive, and (as much as I hate to say it) our voters clearly couldn’t care less whether or not it’s true.

The debate in January will be about 15 minutes away from my house, but doesn’t look like I’ll be able to snag tickets. 

The pundits all seem to think Klobuchar had the best night at is coming on strong at the best time. 

New higher threshold  requirements to make the January debate

4 DNC approved national polls at 5% or more, or 2 approved early state polls, and 225K individual donors.

Biden, Warren, Sanders, Buttigieg, and Klobuchar have already qualified.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/five-democrats-have-qualified-for-the-january-debate-who-else-might-make-it/

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, MigL said:

That still leaves over a dozen candidates.

With 14 left, it’s over a bakers dozen, too 

57 minutes ago, MigL said:

And uncle Joe is getting lots of free publicity from Trump/Republican attacks.

It’s not quite a deep fake, but they’re also putting out highly doctored/edited videos of him:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2020/1/2/21046605/joe-biden-viral-video-deceptive-edit

A deceptively edited video, appearing to show him embracing the white nationalist cultural idea that the US’s identity is the product of its early white European immigrants, was shared repeatedly on social media. The only issue? The 13-second clip, picked from a December 30 speech in New Hampshire, was part of Biden’s critique of that European culture.

“Our culture is not imported from some African nation, or some Asian nation,” Biden says in the clip. “It’s our English jurisprudential culture. Our European culture.” It sounds like a line more likely to be heard at Trump rally, or an alt right protest, but the context of the comments was lost in a creative edit.

In actuality, Biden was talking about American culture allowing sexual violence to continue unchecked. He argued that rape culture has descended from English legal permissiveness toward sexual violence and violence against women before detailing his own role in trying to change that culture.

On 1/2/2020 at 9:43 AM, iNow said:

Julian Castro is out

And now he's endorsed Elizabeth Warren. This is interesting to me, as during an early debate I thought to myself that he might be a good VP pick for her. Anyway, will be curious if his supporters move over.