U.S. Democratic Primary

Ten oz

4 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Pete Buttigieg seems to have been smart enough to think the same way, and is doing well, at least in part, because of it.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/cnn-poll-11-16-2019/index.html

He benefited from the impeachment distractions this week. I think it’s too soon to assert it’s because of his moderate views, especially given how progressive democratic primary voters in Iowa seem to be. 

That lead is also only in Iowa, which is 96% white, amd that gives me pause. It’s a datapoint, not yet a trend. We’ll see if it sticks, and also how he responds to (what surely will be a lot of) incoming fire from competitors during the debate this Wednesday. 

Observations on debate:

I think Yang did well considering minimal time (again least time allowed to speak). He'll do better as the field gets smaller.

I think Buttigieg and Klobuchar did especially well.

Booker did well.

I don't agree with much of Sanders policies (except allowing everyone 18 and older to vote) but he did fairly well.

Biden and Warren did okay. Biden simply has easier policies to defend IMO. Warren seems to be starting to sound a little more moderate in approach.

Wasn't impressed by Harris but others might be. 

Gabbard minimal time but was solid. I think she needed more than that though, short of Hillary giving her another boost.

Steyer was so so. The self professed "only one on the stage for term limits" obviously hasn't read up on Yang's Policies.

Edited by J.C.MacSwell

9 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Steyer was so so. The self professed "only one on the stage for term limits" obviously hasn't read up on Yang's Policies.

He said he was the only one on stage for lots of things that others were also for... I think Yang hit it right when it comes to Steyer. He's spent his money on good things since making it. I just wish he'd stop spending it on this election and instead keep focusing on his other issues (like climate, impeachment, etc.) since he has no real chance to win and is a distraction.

24 minutes ago, iNow said:

Good carpenters don’t blame bad tools for bad results 

Are you aware how often MSNBC has been a bad tool? It's been more than limiting time in the debates, where you could argue Yang has been too polite.

27 minutes ago, iNow said:

Good carpenters don’t blame bad tools for bad results 

I guess this can be directed at the Democrats for the results in 2016?

4 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Are you aware how often MSNBC has been a bad tool?

Not really, no. I don’t watch them. Don’t watch Fox. Don’t watch CNN either for that matter

4 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

I guess this can be directed at the Democrats for the results in 2016?

The electoral college and Russian meddling and bots on social media and active disenfranchisement efforts in communities of color etc are more than bad tools, but sure. Whatever floats your boat

11 minutes ago, iNow said:

Not really, no. I don’t watch them. Don’t watch Fox. Don’t watch CNN either for that matter

But more than willing to throw out a cliche on the matter to dismiss Yang's complaint out of hand?

22 minutes ago, iNow said:

The electoral college and Russian meddling and bots on social media and active disenfranchisement efforts in communities of color etc are more than bad tools, but sure. Whatever floats your boat

Don't forget to add bad tactics...

Hopefully much of the above doesn't get repeated in 2020...(electoral college, and unfortunately much of the disenfranchisement, are already set in place) 

16 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Hopefully much of the above doesn't get repeated in 2020...(electoral college, and unfortunately much of the disenfranchisement, are already set in place) 

The disinformation campaigns have only ramped up since 2016, and now other nations are heavily active, not just Russian. China, Iran, NKorea, and a good many others are running plays out of the Putin playbook while we fight amongst ourselves in partisan false reality bubbles and the GOP pushes false narratives from Russian intelligence. 

Edited by iNow

6 hours ago, iNow said:

How are you defining bad tools versus bad actors?

In my opinion, a bad actor is something with an agenda that's actively trying to further it.. A bad tool is just something that's broken universally for everyone, agenda or not.

MSNBC isn't broken for everyone. Just certain people. That's the issue. It has an agenda it's pushing. Therefore, it's a bad actor.

Same with Russian meddling. It had an agenda it's pushing. Therefore, it's a bad actor.

Same with the other stuff you mentioned except for the electoral college.

The electoral college is a bad tool, because it's not actively doing things to further it's agenda. It's just broken.

3 minutes ago, iNow said:

My larger point was that if Andy Yang is blaming limited MSNBS coverage for his polling woes then he’s already lost and isn’t the leader we either need or deserve. 

What makes you think he's blaming MSNBS for polling woes? That's not what I drew from the tweet at least.

11 hours ago:

11 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Are you aware how often MSNBC has been a bad tool? It's been more than limiting time in the debates, where you could argue Yang has been too polite.

I was responding specifically to JCM, not generally to Andy Yang or the #yanggang

29 minutes ago, iNow said:

My larger point was that if Andy Yang is blaming limited MSNBS coverage for his polling woes then he’s already lost and isn’t the leader we either need or deserve. 

I thought you already admitted you didn't really know much on this subject?

12 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Are you aware how often MSNBC has been a bad tool? 

7 hours ago, iNow said:

Not really, no. I don’t watch them.

For anyone interested here is what is going on. Some of it is surely coincidence.

But too much of it surely is not.

https://vocal.media/theSwamp/a-visual-history-of-the-yang-media-blackout

1 hour ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

I thought you already admitted you didn't really know much on this subject?

Please try to avoid conflating my not watching the major networks with “not really knowing much on this subject.”

43 minutes ago, iNow said:

Please try to avoid conflating my not watching the major networks with “not really knowing much on this subject.”

This subject:

I asked you directly if you were aware of how often MSNBC had been a bad tool (context being with regard to Yang)

You replied "not really, no".

Where's the conflation?

6 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Where's the conflation?

Great question. Here’s what I said:

9 hours ago, iNow said:

Meanwhile, Michael Bloomberg is officially in the race now, launching his campaign with the largest ad buy in history.