U.S. Democratic Primary

Ten oz

6 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

...we just have to convince you to run as a Republican

I’m not generally one to sell out and disregard my integrity, principles, and genuine desire for truth / valid understanding. Definitely appreciate your support, though, brother. Hope you will continue offering it even if I happen to decide to wear a different colored jersey. 

14 hours ago, iNow said:

I’m not generally one to sell out and disregard my integrity, principles, and genuine desire for truth / valid understanding. Definitely appreciate your support, though, brother. Hope you will continue offering it even if I happen to decide to wear a different colored jersey. 

It appears you will have to run against Trump at some point...you're going to need to sharpen your elbows...

15 hours ago, iNow said:

To attack/change the Republicans you need to be one. As someone once said to me: If you want to change the system, you've got to be the system.

2 hours ago, StringJunky said:

To attack/change the Republicans you need to be one. As someone once said to me: If you want to change the system, you've got to be the system.

That's right. It was the Republicans who finally put their foot down and insisted Nixon resign after the Watergate scandal.

That was different time and place though, unlike the oligarchy they're subservient to now.

On 1/27/2019 at 4:06 PM, iNow said:

538 is suggesting Mayor Bill de Blasio of NY may be next to announce (or that he’s at least testing the waters)

It's 4 months later, but de Blasio is now in, too

I certainly haven't checked them all out, but the only candidate I've paid any attention to and been impressed with is Andrew Yang.

Some might think Universal Basic Income is just an attempt to buy votes, but I think there is much more to it, and much more to Yang than that. (though that is the linchpin of his platform)

Although he is not known to be colluding with Russians Canadians at this point here is his website:

https://www.yang2020.com/

Edited by J.C.MacSwell

10 hours ago, iNow said:

I agree, and Yang is doing remarkably well. 

He's still somewhat under the radar but it will be interesting to see how he does in the June debates. I think he could gain a lot of interest, and not just from Democrats.

1 hour ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

He's still somewhat under the radar but it will be interesting to see how he does in the June debates. I think he could gain a lot of interest, and not just from Democrats.

Things change rapidly, but IMO him and Mayor Pete are the strongest 3rd tier candidates right now, with Warren and Harris being the strongest mid-tier candidates, and Biden plus Sanders at the top (though Bernie’s strength seems to be waning a bit with so many other candidates advocating similar policies...his strength seems more about name recognition right now and it’s diminishing as others get better known and recognized themselves).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, iNow said:

Z_1L8b3abgfBLCG5s9CzrSt-aDAVSBECtTmscE49

Here’s How the Candidates Will Be Divided for the First Democratic Debates

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/14/us/politics/democratic-debates-2020.html

I'm looking forward to seeing how Yang does. I doubt anyone will really attack his positions, nor do I expect him to really attack theirs, but I think he will add a unique perspective and state it clearly.

46 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Not sure how they can really call it a "debate". 

Maybe “pageant” is a better term. :)

The party chairs put in some smart requirements to make it much harder to qualify for the later debates. 

Essentially, everyone gets a chance to introduce themselves in the first ones, then it’s up to John Q Public to determine who’s risen to the top and makes it to future rounds  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/democrats-narrow-presidential-debate-rules-days-before-deadline-to-qualify/2019/06/06/a93aaa52-8874-11e9-a491-25df61c78dc4_story.html

To make the stage [in September], candidates must receive at least 2 percent in four polls by a similar list of media organizations and receive campaign contributions from 130,000 donors by the end of August.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

So for the debates...here we go...or does it really start tomorrow night?

I see these as playoff games. Just because one or two “teams” might be favored and they don’t “play” until tomorrow night doesn’t mean it’s not gonna be a great “game” this evening and there won’t be a breakout “player” worth watching. 

I’ll be watching tonight to see how Booker, Beto, and Klobuchar do and am really curious if Julian Castro can breakout given everything happening on the border (and with the kids in miserable caged conditions and dads with 2 year old kids floating ashore bloated and dead bc of our cruel current policy choices).   

I’m also curious what tone it will take and whether we can avoid the Trump media attention whore blackhole as he live tweets it. 

Edited by iNow