space shuttle

ydoaPs

Atlantis was grounded today over that debris, which by the way has been falling off shuttles since 1981. The newspeak coming from NASA bureaucrats today suggests to me that there will never be another shuttle launch. You've seen the last one. They were looking for an excuse to end the program before this launch and the only thing that kept it going was the Space Station. Now they have an excuse to axe both programs.

I'll be *floored* if they ever launch again.

The shuttle is an engineering abortion (google horse committee "designed by" camel then raise to the power of forty two).

The ISS is a white elephant that should never have been started and will never be completed.

The future is in space. America has turned her back on the future.

No, the shuttle fleet is grounded, but now we need the next "thing." The Saturn 5's were grounded after the Apollo, or shortly thereafter, and the shuttle was developed. We need to scrap the shuttle entirely and work on a cheaper way to get into space. There was a design awhile back that was launched off a 747, but NASA scraped it, I forget why.

And about this whole, turning our back on the future thing, what about Deep Impact, the wildly successful mars rovers, Huygens and Cassini, and all the other probes? Just cause they're not manned doesn't mean they're useless...

Debris: two-foot long chunk of foam insulation, basically the same thing that happened to Columbia except this time it didn't hit the orbiter. And now the shuttle fleet is grounded. And this sucks :\

Man I thought I was seeing things. I saw something come off, but it happened so quickly I thought it must have just been my eyesight.

. The newspeak coming from NASA bureaucrats today suggests to me that there will never be another shuttle launch. .

The Hubble needs some work on the gyro's (or something) in '07 or '08 max. Even if ISS *is* a white elephant, I believe they'll continue to support it.

After the insulation hit the Columbia, the "disaster" team requested complete photo imaging of the Columbia, the bureaucrats denied the request, we all know what happened to Columbia.....I suspect the B'crats are in code red for maximum ass cover.....then again, maybe the shuttle and the boosters are pieces of shit, and should be scrapped.

And about this whole, turning our back on the future thing, what about Deep Impact, the wildly successful mars rovers, Huygens and Cassini, and all the other probes? Just cause they're not manned doesn't mean they're useless...
Hugely valuable as science projects. Immensely impressive, well planned, properly managed, brilliantly executed. But man belongs in space, and nancying around in Earth orbit, barely out of the atmosphere does not cut it.

o well NASA had its major budget problems and still does, and frankly im happy to see them grounded.

i just came back from Oshkosh and saw Burt Rutans White Knight and Spaceship 1.

Scaled Composite and Virgin Galactic will be the new NASA of the future

Burt Rutans spaceship one is a much better concept to get to space than the shuttle

it took NASA what a few hundred men to get to the edge of space?

scaled composites put spaceship one into the edge of space with only 20 guys.....theyve got bigger plans for the future

and while i was at Oshkosh with my dad we saw a guy that walked up to rutan and wrote him a $200,000 check for a tour to space

NASA may never put another man into space agian

Hugely valuable as science projects. Immensely impressive, well planned, properly managed, brilliantly executed. But man belongs in space, and nancying around in Earth orbit, barely out of the atmosphere does not cut it.

That is very true. There should not be a choice between unmanned and manned space exploration.

If the human race is to have a future it needs to go into space. Spending uncountable amounts of money trying to cosset a rickety shuttle that is elderly and obsolete is not the way to do it. New means of travelling in space need to be devised that can do more than just get into orbit, fingers crossed, if everything goes ok. Reliable, reuseable craft which can travel beyond this planets gravity are the next step but it looks like it might not be NASA which is going to be taking it.

It would be an irony, if after all this work and expense the USA were to cede its position in space and be overtaken by innovative private companies not operating under the dead hand of federal control and political and porkbarrelling constraints.